Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Injury at Aple D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Broke my achilles tendon yesterday skiing through deep snow and trees yesterday afternoon. Knew I had wrenched the achilles tendon, but I didn't think it too serious. managed to ski out, and stuggle thtorough the lift system back to base. Did RICE. Didn't look too godd this morning, so saw doc. Broken achilles tendon diagnosed.
Went this morning to docs on my own. Mistake. She set my ankle, and said I needed crutches and a whole lot of other prescriptions. And I would have to get back to her to be shown how to do injections. Crystal staff great, rescued me, took me on their shoulders to an ATM, then on to hotel. Then took my cash to pharmacy.

Cost so far : €100 for doctor, €241 for pharmacy. Cash up front - pay later. Doc took plastic card. Doc thought I should be operated on today, or be flown home tomorrow. Snowcard wanted medical report faxed through. medical centre wouldn't do it until insurance company phoned them. Snowcard said they would phone through - nearly an hour ago. Have not heard more since. My mate is skiing off the mountain to help me.

Moral: Always take a compnaion to a French Medical centre - and have shed-loads of cash.

May not be able to be on internet for a bit.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick Zotov, that's bad news; my sympathies. Hope they sort out your treatment asap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nick Zotov, Terrible news, very sorry. Will be in ADH next week so will heed your advice if visit to docs necessary.

If you're feeling up to it can you give us a weather/conditions update ?

Hope you get fit again soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick Zotov, bad news, hope that you're back on your feet soon.

The curse of snowHeads strikes again...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick Zotov, hard luck. A friend of mine snapped his achilles (pushing a car!), and although he was on crutches for a few weeks, it healed as right as rain, so touch wood, you'll be skiing again next season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov, No no no. That a real bummer. Do you need an op, doesnt sound like it is a complete snap. Ive had achilles probs for 3 yrs and it is a most frustrating injury.

Well there goes the one of the folks I was really looking forward to meetting at the Eosb.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith wrote:
Nick Zotov,
If you're feeling up to it can you give us a weather/conditions update ?

Laughing Laughing Laughing That should cheer up poor Nick
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick Zotov, very sorry to hear your news.
I think you are in your mid-40s (?) like me and if so the active (early operation) treatment vs. conservative (in plaster for 6 weeks) management routes are pretty evenly advocated in the UK.
I am not sure why the Doc wants you to inject yourself (?DVT prevention).

All the best.

(Slightly concerned as my rt Ach tendon has been niggling for the last month and I am just about to leave for Tignes) Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L wrote:
I am not sure why the Doc wants you to inject yourself (?DVT prevention).

To take his mind off his sore heel?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick Zotov, sorry to hear your news Sad hope that you can get repatriated soon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L, Stretch stretch stretch.
Straight leg calf stretching (foot behind you) x 10 lots of 30 seconds each and the same for bent leg calf stretching (foot underneath you), 3 times a day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, when warmed up I hope . . . snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, That is the warm up. What were you thinking of: A sunlamp and a swedish massage.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Zotov, Really sorry to hear about your problems, hope you recover quickly.
masmith, I returned from ADH testerday morning and it had been snowing pretty hard all day Tuesday and overnight, I think it continued throughout yesterday also. Visibility had been pretty poor though after a glorious sunny day on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick Zotov, So sorry to hear you have been injured Sad (I have passed the news on to the others wink )
Hope your home and sorted out soon. xx
snow report
Nick Zotov, sorry to hear, how did you do it in the deep stuff? did you feel you caught a root/branch ? or was in a turn ?
ski holidays
Nick L,
You might try seeing a sports massage therapist. Mrs Big G was having big problems with her achilies until our personal trainer had a good look at her calf and found that her whole lower leg was a mass of knotted muscle so set about sorting out the muscles. Several intensive massages later the problem has been resolved and she no longer has any problems. One point of caution, a proper sports massage hurts like hell Evil or Very Mad , but works wonders Very Happy
If the problem is actually knotted muscle then no amount of stretching will free it up, you need to get it freed up by massage before it starts to cause further problems to the knee, ankle & even hip!

Nick Zotov, Had a mate who ruptured his achilies playing footie. Had surgery to repair and is now as good as new, so keep your chin up and you should be back on the slopes next season. Smile
latest report
Sorry to hear anout your injury Nick Zotov Sad , I hope you make a full and speedy recovery snowHead
snow report
If it was a complete snap , you would not be abvle to walk.

If its a tear ( I'v done this a couple of times playing squash ) making the foot immobil & rest is the cure. The quack will allways recommend a cast however, a skiboot is ideal for immobilsing the foot Very Happy

In both scenarios it is unlikely surgery is needed, this is an over reaction by most doctors. Rest is always the best cure 4-6 weeks normally.
I have had loads of different foot injuries & have skied with torn achiles with no problem.

Incidently this month,two days before I went to skiing in the US I picked up a 2nd bordering od 3rd degree sprained ankle (also squash) . Ankle swelled up to balloon proportions intiially. Iced it immediately, swelling reduced quite a bit ,foot went completey black with bruising.
Dutch Quack said when swelling has gone down he would cast the foot. I said I was going skiing & my foot would be in a boot allday.
Professionally he wouldnt reccomend it but off the record he said OK as he was a skier Very Happy Obvioulsy my insurance was compromised by ignoring Doctors advice Sad Hey but this is the ski season Very Happy

I did take a bucket load of Asprin for the flight i.e Swelling,Bruising & DVT dangers.

After three weeks of skiing (first two/three day hurt a bit because of swelling rubbing on boot) & Hotub massage everyday my ankle is fine now after three weeks as opposed to six !!
ski holidays
Oh no, and like FTS, I was really looking forward to skiing with you at the EOSB.

Hope you get off those crutches soon....
snow report
Nick Zotov, sorry to hear the news hope you get the treatment you need as soon as possible to give you the best chance for next year.

Believe me I know how you feel having just been through similar maybe we should start a wounded in the line of fire thread.
snow report
Russell, I was just thinking that. Injury, where, when, how done, recovery. Go for it oh Wounded Knee

EDIT: Poor Nick shouldn't have got injured because: An Aple a day keeps the doctor away rolling eyes
snow conditions
Really sorry Nick. Sad Sad
latest report
Nick Zotov, That's bad news, and sounds a little difficult. Doesn't help you but not the first time Snowcard's support has been questioned on here recently. Trust everything calms down a bit today and you can see the wood for the trees.
snow report
Sorry Nick Zotov, I never offered my comisserations, fingers x'd it doesn't need surgery. are your toes flexed downward in the cast?

Frosty the Snowman, I was thinking about a brisk walk up to the lift and some gentle aerobic body movement, seeing as I can't afford the blond Swede benefits that your lard empire affords you.

stanton, you certainly can and many do, all (though that's a relative term) you lose is foot rebound/forefoot push. If the pain is not too intense it's documented that it is frequently misinterpreted by the sufferer as a bad sprain and since the sufferer favors the injury, many days or even weeks can pass before it's correctly diagnosed. The docs were looking for DVT in my calf before it was eventually recognised and treated.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, really sorry to hear your news. Hope Snowcard get this sorted quickly for you.
ski holidays
Nick,

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

If there is any comfort I could offer it would be a friend of mine who broke his Achilles tendon too after a game of squash with me. Nothing usual just a regular game we played at lunch time once every fortnight.
latest report
Masque,
I have had a complete rupture & I can assure you that you will not be able to walk or should I say put any pressure on the foot. It is one of the most painfull foot injurries and not recommended Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, Been there done that and have the scar and the research (can't post it here yet, it's needed for another purpose . . . but after, yes). I'm not dismissing or dissing' you but I've had to do a lot of data mining on the subject. The injury provokes a varied pain response in different people, it is painful but that is controllable and not necessary debilitating.

All we have are different experiences of the same problem as do many others. There is an instance of one person being miss-diagnosed and living with a severed tendon for years (far too late for a surgical repair)
One of the issues is that the calf muscle where the tendon inserts can suffer huge trauma prior to the tendon rupture. This can overwhelm and mask the pain from the rupture itself. That trauma frequently causes physiological symptoms that also diverts medical attention away from the more severe injury to the tendon.

pax? Little Angel
latest report
Thanks Frosty the Snowman and Big G. I go to the gym every week-day and do a full calf stretch in my cool-down so in fact it is a bit better now than a couple of weeks ago.

Re:walking following Achilles Tendon rupture. Some people can manage to walk flat-footedly i.e. they have no ability to get up onto the ball of their foot.

Having read poor Nick's tale of woe again, I have found another area of concern - I'm insured with Snowcard Shocked
latest report
Nick Zotov, rotten luck Sad
snow report
Masque, interesting comments and rather contradict the statement made to your lawyer, copy taken thank you. Don't forget liars need good memories.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, you may want to clean your reading glasses Laughing Laughing Laughing and upgrade your Ginko Biloba(sp?) dosage
ski holidays
Masque, Can quite see where you are coming from. I suffered a complete rupture of my ACL almost 10 years ago now Evil or Very Mad . Although it hurt like hell for about 1/2 an hour, I eventually managed to ski myself off the mountain. After 2 days of self medicating anti-inflamatories, and strapping I was back out skiing. Shocked Obviously unaware of the real injury.
It took over 3 months for the ACL rupture to be properly diagnosed, as none of the usual manipulation tests showed any problem with the knee. It was only after an MRI that the damage was obvious. The consultant that I was under was reluctant to operate as the inherant risks involved in reconstructive joint surgery are quite high, and I was able to go about my day to day life with no obvious problems. Further manipulation still did not show any obvious instability in the joint. What he did prescribe was lots of work in the gym to build up the muscles to provide support for the joint. I was soon back skiing again without a brace and have been ever since with no major problems. OK it aches every now and again when I have overdone it a bit in the gym (my trainer has currently got me squating 2x my body weight) but on the whole it is fine.
So I can quite believe that a ruptured achilies will be totally debilitating to some whereas to others the same injury is not so and can be misdiagnosed, once the initial soft tissue trauma has settled then the person may carry on oblivious to the true nature of the injury.
latest report
David@traxvax, you really ought to stick around long enough to offer your commiserations to Nick Zotov, rather than just take pot-shots at me . . . that's just a wee bit too bad mannered for anyone's taste. Confused
ski holidays
Nick L, If you are going to the gym every day, then I would lay money on the fact that you have some deep muscle trauma that is pulling on the achilies. You may not be able to feel it yourself as it is probably in the deeper underlying layers of muscle. If your achilies doesn't clear up I strongly suggest you get a sports massage done on it. It really is a revelation as to quite how damaged our muscles get without us even realising.

Funnily enough, I am booked in for one tomorrow. I am getting a burning sensation in the attachment in my heal whenever I flex my ankle too much. I suspect that one of the muscles in my calf is tight and needs releasing, will let you know the outcome if it is of interest. Very Happy
latest report
Masque et David@traxvax, my learned friends advise me that either one of you two is likely to reveal an achilles heel in the matter to which you relate.

When it comes to your long-awaited 'day in court', would a humble yeti be admitted to the public gallery?

To Nick Zotov: Very sorry to hear of your ski accident. I hope your achilles heals (geddit?) very successfully.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 30-03-06 14:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
What is the case? Am I the only one who spends half my time on SnowHeads wondering what the subtext to various threads is?
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, I'll PM you the date . . . no forget that I'll just post it . . . even for the combatants it's going to be entertaining snowHead

edit: DavidS, this threads for support to an injured SH, I've allowed myself to respond off topic. Start another thread and I'm sure that he'll be happy to fill you in.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 30-03-06 14:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
DavidS, according to my friend Jef Wickes the case involves a sewer, a ski binding, a chalet, two bon viveurs, and various achilles heels.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy