Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - what's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - a friend and I want to go to Austria - she's skied Andorra and Winter Park. I'm intermediate, she's not quite as good. I like Lech and Obergurgl. Is Ischgl similar in atmosphere and the 4hrs ski instruction a day? Any other suggestions? Anywhere with single rooms?
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Erica, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Can't help you on your question I'm afraid!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, I've skiied Winter Park, and would rate it very highly, but most people who ski there are intermediates and above.

I haven't skiied Ischgl either. Sorry

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had just a weekend there this season and want to go back again. I thought it was excellent. Good range of skiing, large ski area, good atmosphere in the evenings. In previous threads (on the other side) I don't recall seeing anything but praise for the place. It is more popular with the Germans than the Brits.

Can't compare though as I haven't been to the other places that you mention.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, never been to Ischgl but I can recommend Saalbach as having a good variety of runs for both early and more advanced intermediates with over 200km worth of pistes. It's a compact, traditional resort with good quality hotels and nightlife.

If you are comfortable sharing a room I'd recommend it as you will avoid the single supplement and will probably have a much larger room, balcony etc. A friend in our group opted for a single room and it was tiny.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied Lech and Ischgl but not Obergurgl. Ischgl has a slightly bigger more French feel to the ski area, with lots of long, high, fast quads and gondolas, and if you like reds more than blues it's probably a better bet than Lech/Zurs. The off-piste is maybe better at Lech/Zurs though!

If you go make sure you do the long reds down to Samnaun in Switzerland, which has some great restaurants as well as seriously cheap (tax-free) gear. Just watch out for bogus "customs men" who like to stop skiers with rucsacs at the border and demand cash as taxes for stuff you've bought! And check out Galtur, a few miles up the valley for a change of scenery.

Another thing to bear in mind is the notoriously wild Ischgl party atmosphere, cool if you like that sort of thing, but....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to Galtuer a couple of times.
I think of Galtuer as a "family" resort, and of Ichgl as a "single" resort.
One is a quiet mountain village, the other is a loud, open air disco place!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have been a couple of times, most recently last February. Would highly recommend it for following reasons:

- Real sense of adventure/discovery compared with going to 3 Valleys, Verbier, etc.. Not full of Brits on packages.
- The village has so much more atmosphere than the big French resorts – lots of life to the place.
- Fantastic ski area – plenty to keep any intermediate/advanced skier happy for a week, readily accessible off piste, superb views.
- Minimal queues in half term week – this place must have one of the most up to date lift systems anywhere in the world. Virtually no drags anymore, almost all the chairs are now high speed ones, the biggest gondolas I’ve ever seen (18 seaters), and the world’s first double decker cable car.

Its reputation as a loud, brash singles resort gives a misleading impression - yes, if that's what you want, it's got it, but it's also got quiet hotels and cafes - we were in a mixed all age group, and everyone had a good time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied both Obergurgl and Ischgl. Ischgl is much bigger, but with a similar level of runs. There are difficult runs, but you need to go out of your way top get to them, the main runs are all red / blue. It's difficult to complete the entire resort in a week, partly because there are so many runs worth doing a few times. The Pension Dorfschmeide, through Inhams, has single rooms. It's just been rebuilt and is excellent. First Choice have accomodation in Ischgl and Galtur as well now. Apres ski is amazing, and very varied, as Julian T says, although it's loud and mad in some places it's also quiet and local in others.

Lift queues were short at Easter, so much that we didn't even need to try the 18 seater gondola, we used the old 4 seater as it was quickest to get to through the tunnel from the cente of the village.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy