Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drink-skiing?

Have you ever skied under the influence of alcohol?
Of course not, it would be dangerous and irresponsible
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Rarely, and just the one
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
A couple of glasses with lunch, maybe a vin chaud...
41%
 41%  [ 37 ]
Occasional bad lapse - but I'm always in control
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Yes why not, ok I fall over a bit more but it hurts less
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 6
Total Votes : 90

Poster: A snowHead
mountain mad, any chance of a recipie?.............sounds fantastic!!! Toofy Grin

Well at least it beats my dirty hockey mates idea of making vodka drinks. Last year for a tour in Purley they invented, chilli vodka which was ok(ish), 4 cheese vodka which was pretty minging, and marmite vodka - absolutely disgusting, induced instant vom!

This year they are making "gut buster vodka", basically the "gutbuster" is an infamous meal from the Market Diner in Brighton, served between the hours of 9pm and 4am - basically a fried feast of sausage, eggs, bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, beans, tomatos, beef burger, toast, fried slice and a large mug of tea...............i think that's it Wink so i'm sure you can imagine it's going to be "interesting" NehNeh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peppermint schnapps was this years tipple. And very nice it was too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dan wrote:
Matteo, bombardino.................mmmmmmmm snowHead "sampled" a few of those this year in Courmayeur & Sauze - is it an italian drink?

Well, yes, sort of. No firm recipes, a couple of variants can be found here :
http://www.alpitalia.net/gastronomia.php?action=ricette&ric_id=16
(for those who can read Italian) some ingredients are:
coffee, VOV, wiskey or
Milk, VOV and brandy
As garnments use Whipped cream and/or cocoa powder...
The main component, I daresay, is VOV http://www.culturadelbere.it/sponsor/sil/sil-index.htm
which is a liquour composed of eggs (usually only the yoke part, even though my aunt's recipe calls for the whole, shell included) and iirc Marsala wine/liquour.
Warm VOV is also served, with whipped cream or not.
And in summer I like to drink it cold, out of the fridge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just so long as it doesn't include that disgusting (sorry Matteo!) stuff called Fernet Branca, tastes like a cross between petrol and meths.... Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What we got was warmed brandy, advocaat, wipped cream with a dusting of chocolate powder. It doesn't sound so good, but it is fantastic out on the piste on a cold day...............in fact scrub that it was fantastic at any time of the day!! rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-05-04 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dan - your recipes are gross...
Toffee vodka is easy peasy and tastes yummy.
Take a bottle of vodka and help yourself to a generous shot (or 2!)
Then take packet of Thortons vanilla fudge (or similar) and add it to the bottle of vodka. May need to chop it up to fit it through the neck. Also impossible to not eat some of the fudge whilst chopping!
Shake about and leave on radiator for a day or two to dissolve (have also heard that you can run it through a dishwasher cycle!)
Then drink...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, I like Fernet Branca! But prefer Branca Menta (needs to be cold).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skanky, far too bitter for me, meant to be drunk straight too, as a "pick-me-up" (probably has the opposite effect in most cases!) Who knows what the ingredients are, dread to think.

Much prefer the likes of a Chartreuse Verte......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brr, my grandmother usesd to administer Frenet Branca to my mom and her brothers (when they were children) as a medicine for stomach problems...
I Will not report on the outcomes.
Anyway, PG and skanky , I can't stand the smell of it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not many people I've met like it (and that includes all the Italians). But then I like biscotti (sp?) too, so there's probably no help for me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love biscotti - dunked in espresso!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountain mad wrote:
Love biscotti - dunked in espresso!!!!

I eat it plain. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skanky, which biscotti do you like? Spelling is right, BTW.
Biscotti has become the generic term to indicate cookies, and I like quite a lot of types myself.
(from the French "Bis cuits"=cooked twice)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matteo, the dried bread shaped ones a bit like cold toast - of course, they may not actually be biscotti... Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are they light? Does "Savoiardi" sound familiar?
snow conditions
Savoiardi are very good to be soaked with alcoholic drinks and then inbedded in puddings...
snow conditions
Matteo - in the UK usually biscotti means the hard dry biscuits you get in italian coffee shops, or restaurants with your coffee. http://www.italatin.com/assorted.html - look like the ones that i call 'biscotti'.
ski holidays
Ahh, now it's clear, I think those are a big version of the "Cantucci". Also used to be dipped into red wine, beleive it or not.
But then, in the mountains just few kilometers east from my village people used to break the fast with a hot coffe and red wine (barbera) drink, instead of coffe and milk.
This sentence to avoid being accused to stray afar from the topic-alcohol, tee hee.
snow conditions
Matteo, nope. These are either breakfast or dipping things...not sure. My parents always called them biscotti, but thinking about it, I'm sure they're not. I was the only person in the hotel I ever saw eating them. They're savoury.

Cantucci I know and like, too.
snow report
Matteo, beer used to be a breakfast tipple round here too.
At least according to the stories I like to read...
snow conditions
skanky You are right, I called some colleagues in central Italy and the ones depicted in the picture have no specific name that they know of....
Mark Letho Beer in the morning coffe in place of milk? Bleah. Wink
snow report
Beer, milk.....not likely. Coffee needs to be very strong and very black to be worth drinking....especially the morning after the night before!!
ski holidays
Matteo, I have never added beer to coffee or cornflakes.
But I bow to your superior knowledge Wink
latest report
Ahr Ahr!
snow report
Jonpim, Sorry to be serious, but you've hit the nail on the head. I try to warn new clients - but to no avail! If all else fails drink masses of water. Cool
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Jonpim, Sorry to be serious, but you've hit the nail on the head. I try to warn new clients - but to no avail! If all else fails drink masses of water. Cool

You're right, mind you there's nothing worse than drinking too much water and trying to ski needing the toilet Very Happy
latest report
You're all mad! Why go to all the effort of making alcohol taste boggin' ?!

it tastes lovely just as it is- why make yourselves suffer? I dont get it- your all mingers NehNeh
snow report
boggin'? Puzzled Is this a Glaswegian term? Think I get the picture though .... Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boggin, piggin, boufin, etc.
= not nice
latest report
Prehaps there should have been a:

Occasional lapse and I thought I was nearly in control!
snow report
yes PG, it is a weegie phrase - this website should help you understand it all a bit better

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewinthefat/neds/neducation.shtml

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-05-04 22:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, SteveG Good plan - start yourself off in the bar Wink
snow conditions
Thank you very much Ian, and your tab is.....
ski holidays
........generally over limit Wink
snow report
I've a hard enough controlling my skis and staying vertical without the added influence of lunchtime beers. Beer or even better a small liqueur + afternoon cake followed by shower, jacuzzi, dinner + more beers can have a positive effect after a day on the piste. Wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth, generally being over the limit could fall into a couple of these, would you like to be more specific?

For me. I find myself starting at the first and grandually ending at the last poll!

Of course not, it would be dangerous and irresponsible
12% [ 8 ]
Rarely, and just the one
23% [ 15 ]
A couple of glasses with lunch, maybe a vin chaud... (No harm)
49% [ 32 ]
Occasional bad lapse - but I'm always in control (Dodgy Snow)
9% [ 6 ]
Yes why not, ok I fall over a bit more but it hurts less (Ahh time to go, now the piste is empty)
6% [ 4 ]
l
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Thanks for that link..... I'll keep it handy. The 'useful phrases" were interesting. Apparently in Glasgow
"Would you like to go out with me tonight? We could go to the cinema or the theatre."
is translated by something resembling
"Right doll, do you want to go to the flictures, or do you want to go see omelette at the tron?"
latest report
Quote:

that disgusting (sorry Matteo!) stuff called Fernet Branca
but it's a wonderful stomach settler and not only for alcohol induced effects. And is a superb 'hair of the dog' being extremely strong stuff. PG from memory it's about 90% alcohol and 10% herbs and 'eye of newt' and 'wing of bat' stuff. Similar to Underborg.
Only to be chucked down in one in cases of dire emergency. But it works.
ski holidays
SteveG, sorry, my reference was to Hopkinson's tab at the bar Wink

As I stated earlier, I'm never over any limit.
snow report
Yes Kuwait Ian you are correct, it's herb, I absolutely hate it, but have taken the occasional sip to settle the stomach, and I remember my mother recalling that her mother used to give it to them warm!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy