Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drink-skiing?

Have you ever skied under the influence of alcohol?
Of course not, it would be dangerous and irresponsible
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Rarely, and just the one
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
A couple of glasses with lunch, maybe a vin chaud...
41%
 41%  [ 37 ]
Occasional bad lapse - but I'm always in control
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Yes why not, ok I fall over a bit more but it hurts less
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 6
Total Votes : 90

Poster: A snowHead
A survey similar to a recent one over on Natives (which gives some interesting results!!)

Let's see if snowHeads are more responsible snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey - PG - you've become a FreeRider at 2000 posts!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If only it were that easy Ian!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had to go for the top option....not because I think it would be dangerous or irresponsible - I just don't drink.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd like to drink more, but sadly, I ski better on water...... drinking it that is, not water skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Used to drink a lot more than I do now.
(can we leave it at that?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Responsible! Oh come ON PG, since most of the contributors in this corner of snow idiocy seem to be ‘middle aged’ men, the only thing keeping us ‘responsible’ is the perilous state of our livers! (as a certain Mr. Hunter knows!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, cynic....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
(I see Nadlenoodlee hasn't voted yet Wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, perilous? Would be if anyone could find what passes for it after all these years of abuse Shocked Not helped after a few evenings in your company I seem to vaguely recollect
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a couple....any more and the ski technique takes a nosedive....but a couple are great for steadying the nerves ready to go and do that run that you chickened out of earlier!!

Anyway, aren't we all still under the influence from the over indulgence the night before? Except for Elizbeth B of course!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Moi!?

Mark Hunter, Speak for yourself, I had 'duties' that week and very onerous they were too! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, so that's why you left early - for the old anti-wrinkle cream NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends on whom and where you rub it! NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski terrible on a hangover - but I was at a night time mountain restaurant party this year at L'Arpette restaurant above Les Arcs 1800 (I'm sure you've been there PG). I definitely skied better on the cheap "wine" they fed us. I think I relaxed more as I have a tendency to tense up, I just flowed down the mountain (no falls). I think I will invest in a hip flask now so if I start to lose technique I can have a few swigs and everything will be sorted again! snowHead
ski holidays
Peter Ross, I did the Arpette thing over Easter and I concurr, the run down was icy, bumpy and dark, but no match for my Dutch Courage! Until I got to the bottom and was taken out by a gay-on-a-tray!
latest report
mjg, Perhaps if drunken pr¡cks-on-sticks weren't wobbling all over the piste we wouldn’t be authorised to ‘sanction with extreme predudice’!
snow report
Peter Ross, you mean this one.... never done the evening meal thing - was it good?
snow report
3 guesses for who just voted for option 5 Wink Cool Laughing
latest report
No, not from a food point of view. A dodgy salad, them some cold meats (charcuterie is it?) then a big lump of cheese (raclette) and no pudding! The wine they gave us was vile! The lunch time food is far better. Still the dancing on the tables and the torchlite descent was good fun. I started an indoor snowball fight too but managed to get showered in wine by someone - even my goggles were soaked, which wasn't nice!

Even though the food was rotten it was worth it just to see the dodgy French dancing, and the descent was a good laugh too! I didn't carry a torch for fear of setting myself alight! Smile
snow report
A strangly worded question. Yes I have skied under considerable influence.
The last run down to St Anton springs to mind...
(And Courcheval 1850 to 1550)
But I usually ski during the day and drink at night.
Hmm I am talking myself into having voted wrong.
snow report
I've definitely skiied still drunk the next morning, once at BUSC championships in Edinburgh (on Hill End) where i fell over putting my boots on. Rather set the tone for my performance for the rest of the day. Thumbs still wrecked! rolling eyes On snow drinking surely interferes with skiing time?
ski holidays
Chris Angus, You ought to have won.... weaving down the slalom course should have come naturally!
latest report
Yup, I did l'Arpette Restarant too. 3 hours drinking and a couple of hundred boarders and skiers on an icy run with no decent light. The last bit under the flood lights could really be tanked. Crazy and hilarious all at once.Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I never ski under the influence- usually even the sight of alcohol during the day is enough to make me very ill. I do all my drinking after I take my ski boots off! and to be honest so did most people I met and skiied with on holiday in March.

Our daily routine was
11am- get up, eat, ski
5pm - finish skiing- go to McDonalds etc
6pm- Sleep
10pm- get up and get ready to go out- commence drinking
10:30pm- go out- drink solidly and constantly until 6/7am
Sleep til 11am and then start again

The only exception to the rule is if I dont have a hangover the next day- then ive been know to drink myself stupid in a mountain bar with my snowboard instructor and we had to walk back down in the dark, leaving our boards there!
ski holidays
Picky but does Vin Chaud count as alcoholic ? Thought it all boiled off at 78C leaving just a hot drink with no inebriating effects.

I'll own up to skiing with the odd hangover but otherwise very moderate consumption during the day. Maybe a coffee and a cognac mid morning on a cold day. And a glass of wine with lunch. Ca Va Bien. Cool
ski holidays
Well so far we're a pretty responsible, middle-of-the-road bunch here at snowHeads (compared to Natives at least). Is this because as Masque believes our aging livers are not up to the task, because we're better liars, or because of the obvious superior wisdom of snowHeads in general? Wink snowHead

Haven't seen any formal stats on the link between alcohol and skiing accidents - a couple in fact are contradictory. A Innsbruck hospital survey found a third of skiers hospitalised there had been drinking (but doesn't say how much). A Swiss study reported just 1% over the legal driving limit.
latest report
I never skied drunk, but the one glass of bombardino, vin brule (gluhwein/vin chaud) or warm Vov at the end of the day, before the last run it's kind of a tradition. Or the occasional sip of Grappa after lunch during a cold day.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 12-05-04 8:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, I drank a couple of glasses of homemade Vin Brule this winter, that is, not the industrial concotion they sell in bars on the mountain, but one prepared with real red vine (Merlot), luckily after the day was finished (actually was the landlady who prepared it, back at the Garni), and I assure you, it is inebriating.
snow conditions
I had an evening at L'Arpette (Arc 1800) complete with torchlight descent back in 1989 during my 2nd week of skiing. Food was good from what I recall & wine flowed freely. I used to get paralytic nearly every night then but it wasn't me that fell off the track on the way down snowHead
snow conditions
Matteo, bombardino.................mmmmmmmm snowHead "sampled" a few of those this year in Courmayeur & Sauze - is it an italian drink?
latest report
Sorry to spoil the fun but what is the insurance situation if you injure yourself when under the influence? Puzzled
snow report
Peter Ross, I've seen winter sports policies with small print that excludes claims resulting from "alcohol or substance abuse". I would also be worried about cover if you injure someone else while under the influence...

The standard Endsleigh winter sports policy excludes:
Quote:
Any claim arising from suicide, self injury, alcohol or drugs or any wilful exposure to needless peril
snow report
I've done the usual drunken run down from the KK and Mooservelt (sp?) at St Anton in the past, but now it tends to be the odd glass at lunch but leave the serious stuff for the apres ski.
snow conditions
PG, I too have yet to find any decent stats or proper scientific papers on the subject of alcohol and altitude and injury. However there are lots of articles, and they all say more or less the same thing:
1. Contrary to popular opinion, alcohol has increased effects at altitude (shown both on mountains and in aeroplanes)
2. Alcohol consumption worsens altitude induced sleep disorder.
3. Alcohol increases chances of suffering altitude sickness
snow conditions
Jonpim, you left out at least one...
4. Alcohol increase the chances of ugly birds pulling. (10 at 2am, 2 at 10am)
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I tried chances of ugly birds pulling in google, but couldn't find your article (interesting one on onions though.....)
snow report
Jonpim Laughing

Didn't fill in the poll as can't really fit in. Almost every morning is some sort of alcohol hazed stumble to the lift. I don't know of anyone that doesn't go out every night drinking on a sliding holiday, therefore they still in some way alcohol induced. I wouldn't slide if i was still trolley'd though.

I hardly drink on the slopes but I do have the odd swig from the hipflask if it's cold or "needed". The hipflask is more of a social thing for friends than really for the alcohol. Although I have been thnking of filling the camelback with Jack Daniels or Rum and filling the hipflask with water at the rate some of my friends drink the stuff!!! Wink
latest report
Dan I have the same problem.
My toffee vodka has become legendary - (new recipe based on thorntons fudge rather than werthers originals!) but it does mean that the hip flask is too small for the number of people that end up drinking from it!
Funny how you get a mix of comments from other skiers when you are spotted with the hip flask - ranges from "fab idea" to "tut tut, shouldn't be allowed"!!!!
snow report
Irresponsible I know, but I love getting to a mountain bar at around 4-4.30 get trashed and ski down an hour or so later in the gathering gloom. Come on admit it so do you, lets get that 3% up. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy