Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach at New Year...? Or The Dolomites...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm starting to think about booking the New Year week for skiing, but jabbing been caught out 3yrs ago when the snow didn't arrive in our resort (Sauze) until a week after we'd left (in late Jan!), I'm nervous about booking anywhere until I know there's snow. I realise that means i will be chancing it with accommodation, but that's a risk I'll take.

So - I'm looking at Saalbach (worried about snow), the Dolomites (ditto, and don't know where to start resort-wise), Cervinia (but worried that might be too high and wind will be an issue).
I'm looking for either Italy or Austria, decent number of intermediate runs, and ideally not a massive transfer.

My favourite resort is Sauze (been 3 times), also loved Kitzbuhel. Was less enamoured by Morzine and Alpe d'Huez. Would have probably enjoyed Zell am zee more if there had been more snow (went late in the season, was slushy and couldn't ski into town).

Any and all words of wisdom much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd recommend Saalbach - I'm going the week before Christmas then again on the 5th Jan. Whilst we cannot guarantee the weather, Saalbach has excellent snow making (the cannons have just started up) and snow is forecast next week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm guessing you've been there before? Looks lovely and green at the moment! (as do most places, admittedly...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The weather outlook in the eastern alps for the next couple of weeks is pretty uncertain, everything from a few snowflakes to a good amount of snowfall seems possible. However New Year is 6 weeks away, no one can say what conditions will be like then. All the big resorts have efficient snow making setups so I am sure most places will have skiing of some sort. Personally I would aim high if you are worried though you might struggle to find accommodation in those places thought of as "snow sure". If you fancy Austria then Kitzbühel / Saalbach / Ski Amande / Zillertal will be very similar in terms of likely conditions whether natural or artificial. Higher up maybe Serfaus / Fiss, the Arlberg , Ischgl or Sölden / Obergurgl (though accommodation will be an issue in all of these). Dont know the Dolomities well but Kronplatz is often suggested, I would have thought a fair transfer time from Verona or Munich though.

I agree pretty much everywhere has green fields (lovely weather for mountain walks Very Happy ) on the webcams but the snow canons do seem to have been running full tilt for the past 24 hours.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent snow making in both Saalbach & many areas in the Dolomites. The Dolomites ski areas tend to be higher than Saalbach, but of course at a more southerly latitude and exposed to different weather systems.

Predicting the quality of snow in January at this point is impossible, but as it sounds like you're going to book last minute, it will more come down to availability & cost all other things being equal.

In previous lean snow years, the Dolomiti Superski had most (like 90%) of its runs open despite a lack of natural snow.

It's funny that you picked these 2 places as I'm planning to ski Saalbach in Jan and the Dolomites in Feb. I think you could have fun in either. Saalbach is a pretty, wooded area, well-known for it's full-on Austrian apres. The Dolomites are known for their cuisine & magnificent scenery.

Cervinia is pretty snowsure and has some lovely long wide cruisey runs plus the option of going over the top to Zermatt, but it is exposed with little tree skiing if the weather socks in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WoottonBecs, you might struggle to find well-located accommodation for NY week in Saalbach. It’s the most popular week of the season, and demand for accommodation generally exceeds supply. Incidentally it’s pretty normal for it to look autumnally green at this time in November but gratifyingly wintry and white a few weeks later. Let’s hope this season is not going to be abnormal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quick thread hijack - weather aside, what is Saalbach like in the first week in January? Still busy? Thinking 5th onwards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jenniper, That week is a lot quieter than New Year week. As the schools have gone back and national holidays have ended there is no reason for it to be busier than any other week during January - except for the Russian Christmas, but there don't seem to be as many Russians about recently. If you're able to defer it to the 12th January, I might be able to make you an offer you can't refuse wink PM me if so.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That’s a kind offer - thank you. Sadly I think we are looking at last minute only but I’ll likely still drop you a line nearer the time!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jenniper, FWIW Salzburg flights from £54 return at present.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great stuff - I'll keep an eye on that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy