Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thule over Christmas. Not that simple though

Poster: A snowHead
So here it is. Currently booked for New Years in Tignes. All very straight forward. However just been offered a good deal for La Thuile over Christmas. I’m hatching a cunning plan and I’d appreciate if anyone can see any flaws in it.

Although we’ll book for the whole family (4of us) only Mrs H and the kids will fly and be transferred. I’ll leave UK the night before and drive south overnighting in France so I get to the resort at about the same time with the bulk of the baggage. Will book kids ski hire and lift passes direct and I’m hoping to find somewhere to park (top tips welcome). The kids are good enough not to need lessons although they are booked in for some in Tignes so in La Thuile we’ll just ski together as we please. At the end of the week rather than flying home we’ll drive around to Tignes and we’re back on normal schedule and there are 4 empty seats on the plane.

Am I being too naive in thinking this is too simple?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't see why that won't work. But not sure why you're doing all that driving. With 4 lots of baggage allowance you can easily carry everything you need. Get a transfer from La Thuile to Tignes. The cost of a return drive to the Alps is not to be sniffed at and you'll encounter a lot of traffic on those days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pam, thanks. The package is the flight at the end of the first week. To get home after Tignes would mean booking a one way charter flight which would add costs and complications. We’re also booked into dijon on the return so would lose our hotel costs and the plans we have. Appreciate the roads will be busy on 29/12 but La Thuile is about the same distance as Beaune which is where we are/we’re booked into for the night of the 28/12 so an early start whichever.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah - I see - you were always planning to drive home from Tignes. I get it now. Shame you can't finish up on the La Rosiere side - be a really short hop up to Tignes, then! Wonder if it could be done?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pam. I know. Tempted to send Mrs H over on the Saturday morning so she can taxi around to Tignes and pick up the key etc. If it wasn’t for the kids hire skis they could go with her. Pulled the trigger this afternoon. Now just need to work out the logistics.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So near, and yet so far, @RobH2017.... Still, should be a great double!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
there is free parking at the bottom of the village near and paid parking by the planibel appts and the lift stations. free parking is available on the main road too if you get there early enough near to the lifts
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Sweedish. Am there for a week so am sure I’ll get somewhere even if I have to move at some point. Don’t mind paying if it’s a slot I can keep.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a flaw as such but depending on where you are setting off from it's a long drive to do all by yourself when the days are short and most people are worn out in the run up to Xmas. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and get overnight accommodation sorted in advance. Serious point- practice putting on snowchains in the dark when it is raining all by yourself. But have a good time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree strongly about practicing the snowchains but having done both - several times - I'd say driving alone is far superior to driving with the family!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget to tell the tour operator at some point during the week that you won't be on the return flight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Well used to putting chains on myself, albeit getting moaned at when I open the door to get back in the car. The driving isn’t an issue and should be more peaceful than normal and less wee stops.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No probs Rob!

You shouldn't need chains on the way up to La Thuile, the road is well cleared and is usually kept free of snow. That being said if it snows on the way up/down you will possibly need them. I have winter tyres and haven't used them yet. The roads lower down near Courmayeur and Pre St-didier are often snow free anyway as can be below the snow line depending on the snow cover that year.

There is also free parking next to the coppapan restaurant (between the lift station and the coppapan itself).
All the road down from here is used for parking too and am pretty sure once you are parked up you wouldn't have to move.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll offer them first here then put in the sales page. Does anyone want our family rooms at Dover Premier Inn on 27/12 or at COTO hotel in Beaune on 28/12. All paid for but I can't use them now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is that a heck of a drive from La Thuile to Tignes?
snow report
I'm going to hire elephants and drag the car over the Petit Col St Bernard straight down into La Rossiere.
snow report
Perfect!
ski holidays
Perfect! Or maybe, if the elephants prove a bit pricey, you could leave the car in La Ros the whole time. Get the plane travellers to take the baggage, except your own ski gear and what you can put in a backpack. Then you ski over the mountain to La Thuile to meet them.
ski holidays
Good plan but I'd still need the elephants to bring all the baggage and family back to La Rossiere so we can drive to Tignes for week 2. Or Husky Sleds maybe.
snow report
Yes - bit of a flaw in my plan there! I wonder if you could take a snow-mobile taxi? People must get themselves, and their stuff, over that mountain all the time in winter. Not to mention casualities. Maybe your accommodation in La Thuile, or the tourist office, could point you in the right direction?
ski holidays
This sounds great but I'd have a very minor concern about not taking up all elements of the package (I think I know the one you are looking at and at that price I was very tempted but we've done La Thuille a coupe of times now so we're doing Sestriere at same time which was only a bit more). You may want to run it by some users on a specific holiday forum, I'm sure I've seen issues caused by not using all parts of a package. Of course the return does not matter but its the bit about booking all together for 4 then only 3 turning up for flights. I know you have booked and paid, but you will have booked and paid for 4 persons, so even though its less it is still potentially changing the terms of the deal. I'm sure it will be fine but to be on safe side I'd check first.
snow report
#814man, thanks. Yes cleared all that and covered my various options so it's all above board. Everything is booked and arranged now so looking forward to breakfasting in one country and lunching in another.
snow conditions
Cool plan, just bear in mind it'll be at least 4-5 hours drive from La Thuile to Tignes, not allowing for traffic issues or snow issues, both of which could add massively to the journey time. Aim to get away from la Thuile as early as you possibly can so you can beat the New Year traffic into the Tarentaise.* I think the Val d'Arly road is closed (again....) which will also add some time. If it's a mega-snow transfer day, you'll be on snowy roads pretty much the whole way.

Also factor in the costs for the tunnel, about €70 return in a van, might be a little less in a car.
snow report
Tunnel is around 45 a single or 55 for a return. You can only use a return for up to 7 days, so if you went for 8 days you would need 2 singles.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy