Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New goggles. Photochromic or interchangeable lenses?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm just about to buy some new goggles but wonder whether to get one lens or two?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-11-18 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
one
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Each to their own, but I use one photochromic lens and will never go back to carrying two lenses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The new Oakley React Prizms take my fancy but I already own 3 pairs of Prizm goggles with various lenses.

If I didn't I would certainly buy the React Goggles. Assuming the bigger lens fitted my face.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How are photochromic lenses in flat light/ poor vis conditions? This is really the only time you need lenses. Personally i always go with 2. Usually if its anything other than sun i just leave the flat light lens in all week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Photochromic.

Smith are good - the newest photochromic rose chromapop is even better than my previous smith red sensor photochromic, worn under floodlights through to bright sunny days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mk28 wrote:
How are photochromic lenses in flat light/ poor vis conditions? This is really the only time you need lenses. Personally i always go with 2. Usually if its anything other than sun i just leave the flat light lens in all week.

Individuals have different eyes of course.

In the olden days as the sun went down if I was in the forest late in the day I'd need to take my goggles off, which was less than ideal. If it was a stormy day I'd take another pair with a clearer lens.

Once they invented easy-swappable lenses, I'd switch to the clearer lens in either of those circumstances. That was less stuff to carry and cheaper than the two-pairs approach of old.

Finally a couple of years ago I bought some photochromic lenses, which solve the problem for me in all conditions. This is the best solution for me because I don't need to stop to change any more. It's something to just forget about. The only time I've ever noticed that I have the things is when going from bright sunlight into dark forest... there's a 10 second or so lag in the adjustment, which reminds me that it's just brilliant not having to stop to swap lenses.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Photochromic every time, I had a pair of Scott’s amazing, unfortunately the gave up after many years of service, couldn’t get a replacement in resort, now have Oakley with interchangeable lenses they are good but miss the Scotts, my wife has Bolle photochromic ones and loves them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had photochromic goggles in the past (Bolle, I think) and they were very good in pretty much all conditions, until they stopped "reacting", but to be fair they were probably about 10 years old by then. I now have a pair of Anon goggles with a dark lens for bright sunlight and a low light yellow lens - the beauty of the lenses is the quick change magnetic release, which just takes a twist to remove, with no need to remove the goggles. Of course, gear envy means that I could probably do with a pink lens for whiteout though.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loved my Julbo's (Zebra Light Red) in changing light conditions and in and out of trees - they were so good I forgot I was wearing them Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have become a huge fan of photochromic goggles over the past couple of years.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My goggle came with several lenses. But I just settled on wearing the same one that’s meant for low lights, a very lightlt tinted yellow lens. I don’t bother changing it out.

My eyes seems to handle it fine when the light is bright.

Presumably, the different color lens all block UV lights just the same?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scamper wrote:
Loved my Julbo's (Zebra Light Red) in changing light conditions and in and out of trees - they were so good I forgot I was wearing them Smile

+1 sometimes a bit slow on high key days but I am defiantly skiing a truer line than my those I am skiing with through the transitions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just replaced my orange Poc cornea NXT (photochromatic) with a pair of black poc cornea NXT (photochromatic)......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ski shop where we are now only stock photocromic !!
snow report
I only use goggles when it's snowing, hence I only have low light lens in them, my sunnies "did" have a good low light lens except I did a somersault face plant in deep powder last season and lost them, went back in the summer following m GPS track and you could tell where I stacked it but no luck so reckon someone found them Sad

They were good sunnies as they were bifocal with a 2x mag reading lens at the bottom which I also used a lot for cycling.

Back in Sept I decided to have an eye test as I knew I was struggling driving lost distance with my eyes.

And yes eyes were just below the legal limit, so with Boots ordered two pairs as you get 50% off the second pair and one pair I finally collected today (took a while to deliver) as I've been out the UK since beginning Oct and they are a photocromic wrap round sports glass with my prescriptive lens so much better replacement for my lost sunnies.

I'm really impressed with the build quality and style / looks of them plus have stuck a pair of 2.5 mag Hydrotac bifocal lens on the bottom (Google / Amazon those and I think they might work in goggles).

PS might well use some sunnier leash on them!
snow report
Note that photochromic lenses only change the VLT (Visible Light Transmission); they do not alter the spectrum of light filtered.

Good ski lenses, filter out certain frequencies of light, in order to give more contrast. And the optimum frequencies to filter/transmit, can change with different light conditions. eg: sunny, sun/cloud and overcast.

Hence a good range of lenses will not just have a different VLT; but will also vary the frequency of light they filter/transmit. And of course each individual's eyes will perceive colours in different ways.

But that has to be weighed against the convenience of photochromic lenses.
latest report
@Poogle, Very true. I still have my Oakley A frames in a Hi Yellow for really low light, some dark ones for pure wall to wall sunshine plus some clear for night skiing. But I have found that the Bolle photochromic lenses cover 90% of what I do just as well and with moch more convenience, especially on long runs which start in the sun and end up in shady forests at the end of the day.
ski holidays
Just splash the cash on some Oakley Prizm React goggles and be the coolest dude on the piste.
ski holidays
Hi All,

I got my wife a pair of Spektrum G004 goggles for Xmas.
They come with a spare lens but no instructions on how to change them.

The box points you towards their website, but I can't find a link there.
I have emailed them but haven't got a response.

Has anyone got these or something similar ?
Not sure how rough I want to be......

Bernardo
snow conditions
@Bernardo, turn the tabs on each end 90' (do the thin bit points out) and the lens should then pull out of the slottted holes There are pegs that locate in holes along the top/botton so it might take more force than you expect (it surprised me the first time).
Going back locate in the slots and lock the tabs first then push the pegs in the pegs.
latest report
@adithorp,

Thanks a million, that worked a treat.

I was being too gentle, just needed persuasion. wink

Much appreciated
Bernardo
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy