Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Kendo and Salomon Shift MNC - doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Strong advanced skier, looking to invest in one pair of skis to do all, so been looking at the Volkl Kendo 184s. (I'm 6"2, 13stone-ish)

However, want the option to get into my first bit of touring too to give it a go (would be short Scottish tours), and wondered about the possibility of teaming the Kendo with the new Salomon Shift MNC binding.

Know this is probably a heavy option for touring, but for someone just looking to go occasionally, and for most part skiing in resort - is this a do-able set up, or too heavy?

I would describe as really quite fit, so wouldn't have thought the bit extra weight would be too much of an issue, but having never toured before thought I should ask some people in the know!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Gav
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gavin logan, welcome to snowHeads.

That's perfectly doable and sounds pretty ideal for your requirements. Check-out the Blizzard Brahma too as it's nip'n'tuck with the Kendo but a tad lighter.

Or you could stay at 88mm width but ditch most of the metal to drop the ski weight quite a bit (like a Scott Superguide 88 ) for easier up but not as damp and not as good crud/variable snow buster.

Or you could go a tad wider but without the metal (say 94-98mm underfoot) and get a sub 2kg ski (Whitedot R.98 trad/CL or Altum 94) for better soft snow performance etc.

Only you can decide but I've got plenty of Scotland all mountain skiing customers with one ski quivers that are wider than 88mm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Glad to hear it's doable! I was lucky enough to ski the Kendos at a test day recently and found them great even in that short wee time.

Other options sound interesting and will look into as well, appreciate you linking the reviews too.

I think cause I'd be skiing mostly in resort and want something to advance my skiing, I like the idea of the Kendo due to their all-mountain abilities. (been skiing my dad's handy-down carvers for past few season, but want something more playful for off-piste and side of resort/bits of powder)

I'll have a look into the others too, thanks very much!

Cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's all relative - how fit/fat are the people you will be going touring with? Toofy Grin
Seriously as most of your skiing will be piste then a smaller percentage mixed offpiste conditions, then an even smaller percentage bottomless pow I'd go with the Kendo esp. if I had skied them and like them.

What boots will you be using, touring or alpine? (or something inbewteen)

Might be worth quiver killing your skis at a later date and swapping over to lighter skis if you really get into touring. Maybe the same skins would work on both sets of skis if the dimensions are very similar.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, more experienced but I'd imagine I'd be as fit as them hopefully!

One of them uses Volkl Kenjas and Marker Kingpin, and seems to find that works well.

I have Alpine boots currently, and lucky enough to work in outdoor shop so at beginning of touring probably be able to borrow/rent a touring boot before hopefully purchasing further down the line!

Sorry, you'll have to enlighten me on what you mean by quiver killing?

Cheers
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've gone for Black Crows Navis (not the freebird) with Shifts for this season so not dissimilar to what you're thinking (Navis are 1900g ish each) with a view to getting into touring as I live in Chamonix. I've got no qualms about the weight and if you're fit then you'll be fine

Quiver killing is a process by which you can easily swap your bindings between skis. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me so that if I (you) get super into touring we can quiver killer our skis to fit the same bindings on a lighter pair of skis for longer tours. Saves buying multiple sets of bindings
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah ok I see, sounds like an idea, and saves me investing if it doesn't work out!

Perfect thank you. Yeah, similarly to you I think, big investment if its something you are not going to do for the majority of time that's why I thought this set up would help bridge the gap. The Shift binding looks ideal for this, not having to compromise when I'm away for resort holidays or resort days in Scotland.

Magic, much appreciated !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gavin logan,

As said above quiver killing

http://youtube.com/v/koWDDJf2q_8
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perfect looks a good idea!

Been having another look at few options, wondering if anyone knows anything about the Volkl 90Eight and how it compares?

Lighter for a touring set-up and from what I've seen is supposed to be a bit more playful, which maybe sounds like it suits me wanting to advance my skiing and do more trees and off-piste!

Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gavin logan wrote:
Been having another look at few options, wondering if anyone knows anything about the Volkl 90Eight and how it compares?

I run a pair of 2017 Völkl 90eights with dynafit radicals as my wider touring setup. Believe later versions have been beefed up a bit. It is possible to rail them with medium to longer turns on the piste but short turns are a challenge. The Kendos will be better on piste while the 90eights will be better offpiste esp. in soft snow, depends what you are looking for.

Quote:
VÖLKL 90EIGHT * men
$749
BEST FOR: A one-ski quiver
SKIER TYPE: Advanced-expert; light-heavy weight; versatile turns; finesse-power
LENGTHS: 163, 170, 177*, 184 * SIDECUT: 133/98/116 * RADIUS: 20.1@177
OVERALL AVERAGE SCORE: 8.6/10
Rarely does a ski receive such unanimous, gushing praise. “Top marks in all performance characteristics. Great in all terrain. Lively and powerful,” commented Peter Eaton. Jeremy Badcock wanted another lap: “The mind boggles at how this ski can smear and grip on demand. No ski should have the right to be this good.” No matter the turn shape, terrain or conditions, this charmer was an instant classic. Several noted it even railed on groomers. The 90Eight was easy to turn, stable and agile, and Ryan Petersen would recommend it for anyone: “I would ski this or put my father on it.”

http://skicanadamag.com/big-mountain-test-2017/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/cqe76kRf-uw
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found my Bents to be surprisingly good on the piste and fine for touring for a few hours. In fact, in deep snow the rocker really seems to help with the uphill motion.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a pair of Kendos 177 I'm 6.2" I love them.
There fitted with Quiver Killers. I take them away with Fisher Rangers 98 at 188. It's a great combination, they stack well together using Quiver Killer mounting inserts. And perfect for hard and soft snow. The Rangers have a skin clip and the 188s are actually 100mm underfoot.
I don't have touring bindings on them but they would be ideal.
I've gone for the Kastle FX 95 HP for the shift binding but still waiting for the Shifts to be released!!.. To many holes in the other skis so starting afresh with a pare of Ragnarok Cls to replace the Fishers. I've been skiing this week using the Volkls and the Rangers
I'd definitely be mounting the Shifts on them if they weren't in danger of becoming Swiss Cheese.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gavin logan wrote:
Perfect looks a good idea!

Lighter for a touring set-up and from what I've seen is supposed to be a bit more playful, which maybe sounds like it suits me wanting to advance my skiing and do more trees and off-piste!

Cheers

ive got 90eights with dynafit beasts and ski everything on them, you wont be upset skiing all over the hill on these. Ive toured on them for up to 2 hours with no drama at all and skied everything resort can throw at them
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gavin logan, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3168993&highlight=volkl+90eight#3168993
Hope this helps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy