Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes an Olympic ski racer? Episode 1

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Haven't many of Britain's top racers over the years been schooled in Austria?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some have to a limited extent. Martin Bell went to the Stams Gymnasium, for example. But schooled from Skihauptschule up, I don't think so - racerready (Neil) would know, he spent part of his childhood there, and raced there.

The GB team has Austrian Schwaiger as head coach. In fact the support side is virtually entirely staffed by Austrians, from technical and speed coaches for men and women through to physios and servicemen. They've had a training base in Lofer since 2001.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
PG. Just a point concerning your intro ...Killy won his three gold medals in 1968 in Grenoble.
Obviously. Unsurprisingly, 'slips of the pen' occasionally happen when you actually write original articles rather than rehashing second-hand internet news.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
... which is exactly the wheeze copied by your goodself!

Cheeky boy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did once come up with news items you had missed - it was neither a "wheeze", nor a copy.

I always did a mix of both anyway - original reports and snippets from other sources. Now the bulk is original.

I actually can't remember if you've ever posted anything original in the past two years of snowHeads, which is why I'm baffled as to what the fuss is all about over T &C's.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pompous rubbish
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fact
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Mad Mad Embarassed Embarassed Smile Blush Twisted Evil wink Blush Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Shock Shock
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond wrote:
One has the impression that 50 (or fewer) years ago, they just turned up, put their kit on, performed as best they could and buggered off, back to the day job or down the pub.

Quite. 52 years ago, Roger Bannister did a full day's work as a junior doctor in London, before catching the train to Oxford to break the 4-minute mile barrier in the evening. There's no going back of course.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
PG. Just a point concerning your intro ...Killy won his three gold medals in 1968 in Grenoble.
Obviously. Unsurprisingly, 'slips of the pen' occasionally happen when you actually write original articles rather than rehashing second-hand internet news.

Oh dear! PG, David Goldsmith's correction wasn't couched in personal terms. It's quite possible there are readers who've never heard of J-C Killy. (Actually, he's the first skier I can remember, and I was glued to the black and white box for his achievement.) I think you probably wouldn't have responded in quite the way you did if someone else had made the correction! I say this as one of snowHead's worst pedants. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, you're quite correct - I definitely wouldn't! But I won't go into the reasons why Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit late to this so I haven't read all the way through...sorry.. but a friend of mine has a sister with children in Morgins and all the kids ski..well, they would, wouldn't they? And the boy is really talented they say....but it is the lesser talented younger girl they say will get the furthest because she is SO determined and will not be beaten. At a certain level, talent is a givien, it's what else you have. And you can bet someone somewhere down the line is going the extra yard, so that becomes the standard of the day...

And we wonder why we don't complete..? the alpine countries have every village feeding this talent pool and of course, some fall by the wayside.... and then they have an infrastructure and, erm. mountains with snow. God knows how our kids get this ground work done..??

I think we do well with our efforts but its hardly a level playing field... we do well to be in the same race as these countries..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have to keep this in balance. Yes, it's a hard life. Many drop out through injury or lack of performances along the way. But for those who can make a career in ski-racing, there is more variety in conditions and venues than in any other sport I can think of. It's an always-changing sport, with a lot of "uncontrollables" that racers have to learn to accept - good preparation for life in general.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great thread -now i've finally got round to reading it. Very Happy All in all I'm very glad that I didn't have the talent to be top class (and was told so), and had the sense to see there wasn't any point going through all that to be second rate - and that was back in the dark ages ( around 1968 ish). I realised then that I'd have to give up everything to race ski & I was apparently B team material!!

It's much tougher now - that's why I get so mad when peeps seem to belittle our sportspeople and their efforts (especially when I know them or their families Shocked ).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
C'mon now PG, you've had ages.

Where's Episode II Puzzled snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy