Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage fee rant

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked my spring trip to the Alps, and got a fine how-do-you-do from my former airline, Lufthansa. Was pleased to see a really good fare for SEA-MUC-SEA, $574 RT. Checked for the new and improved ski bag fees. Did any of you guess $574 RT? Me neither. A coincidence to be sure, but also highway robbery. Ended up finding a much better deal on BOAC, but still $400 more than the same timeframe last year. My first question for St Peter will be: can you explain air travel pricing to me? I mean, what other industry is a net money loser since inception, is spite of insatiable worldwide demand? Hmm, just had a thought: at that price, could I buy a ticket for my skis and they could sit next to me? We could chat and stuff.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you get pre-1974 prices with BOAC
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is there a legally binding definition of what constitutes 'shoes'?

If not, just wear your skis when you get on the plane and say they're shoes...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, ended up having to leave the kit and rent only recently. Lufthansa are particularly bad http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3282890&highlight=lufthansa#3282890
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Air Canada still don't charge for skis btw Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
adithorp wrote:
Did you get pre-1974 prices with BOAC
You only get those if you fly in from Miami Beach!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle, from the USSR?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can still take them as your free baggage item provided you don't get suckered by the stupid economy lite fare that most airlines now seem to be offering to "win" on consolidated searches.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gordyjh,

I thought he was flying from Miami Beach wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, my mistake! In my defence, drinks had been taken. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
You can still take them as your free baggage item provided you don't get suckered by the stupid economy lite fare that most airlines now seem to be offering to "win" on consolidated searches.

Yes that's true for flights within Europe, which is why I often use Lufthansa as they still provide free ski carriage. Smile

Unfortunately for Scooter in Seattle it doesn't apply for flights to/from the USA, quote "Information about carriage:

In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may carry one set of skiing equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight with the exception of flights to/from the USA, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). You will be charged the price stated above for any additional skiing equipment.

On the Economy Class Light fare, free transport of skiing equipment instead of a booked item of baggage or in addition to a booked item of baggage is not included and the above-listed charges will apply."
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had the same problem when I went the other way a few years ago ...I bought a pair of skis on ebay.com and gave them away when I left (I was there for 3 months) ..it was cheaper than hiring...I stick to Europe now ....and drive ..much less hassle Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scooter in Seattle, easyjet, ryanair make money...

The problem is partially based on prior “flag carrier” concepts and territorial airspace rules.

Most organisations used principally for power projection are cost centers...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, No you need to substitute for a hold bag. The 80 each way is effectively a penalty for second hold bag. Most long haul airlines seem to be doing similar on transatlantic flights. The problem is people like the OP believing the lead in fare without any baggage is somehow real.

For a weekend in NY it might be but not for many leisure trips. That said I managed 2 weeks backpacking in Mexico once with a 30l pack. Was very liberating.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bergmeister, Man it was a terrible flight
snow conditions
Canuck wrote:
Air Canada still don't charge for skis btw Smile

I think even Air Transat allow skis for free.
latest report
the bag was on my knees
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Alastair Pink, No you need to substitute for a hold bag. .

No, my point was that with Lufthansa provided you don't buy the cheapest "Economy Light" fare then the standard Economy class fare includes a checked hold bag (up to 23kg) PLUS a free ski bag( also up to 23kg), however this only applies for European flights, not Transatlantic ones. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Fly Free, soon to be all over the Alps.......................https://www.solesportslabs.com/fly-free-payments
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Fly Free, soon to be all over the Alps.......................https://www.solesportslabs.com/fly-free-payments

Hmm basically an expensive prepaid rental plus your maths looks a bit iffy 40 days x 12euro = 600 Euro?

If you had a network all over the alps then mebbe but why wouldn't I just rent a rack space in a ski depot and fly with my skis once if I was going to Cham all the time (& somehow didn't have a cave or whatever)
ski holidays
Worth pointing out that my ski and boot carriage from Liverpool to Geneva was rather a lot more than for me.
I should have booked a seat for the skis and boots Puzzled
Easyjet by the way
snow conditions
johnE,

Dreadful, even wink
ski holidays
pam w,

Paper? Puzzled
latest report
Another reference to "Back in the USSR", @Bergmeister, following on from johnE, above....it's our age. wink
ski holidays
Yes, paper.....but lined
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy