Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding compatibility at ski tests

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning to go to the ski test weekend in Åre in December. I have new boots for this season, with WTR soles. It's a bit of a, "maybe" or "how long is a piece of string" question but does anyone have any idea whether demo fleets are typically equipped with compatible bindings?

I asked the question of Skistar (the operator); their response was that it's up to the distributors...fair enough, but doesn't really help me. Over to snowHead s...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have thought rental or rail bindings, so they should be adjustable for different boot lengths. unless you have something seriously 'out of this world' in terms of boot length you don't need to worry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bob,
It isn't about boot length, walk to ride has a different front piece that isn't compatible with traditional binding toe pieces
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mgrolf,
I know that Ellis Brigham's demo fleet are WTR compatible and I would think if they are demoing new seasons skis they will be, don't know obviously
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@T Bar, thanks...a little bit of reassurance is always appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, nothing with any sort of race bias will have a WTR set up, most free ride stuff is with either dual norm, MNC (multi norm) or gripwalk.... WTR soles will disappear as of next year in most cases (replacement sole pads will still be available ) but Gripwalk seems to have won the VHS / BETAMAX battle of the ski boot sole.... that said the TUV certification for gripwalk is still not 100% agreed... it is certified but the exact norm is still being "discussed"

personally i believe there should only be two norms... 5335 alpine which will be on race and the MNC (multi norm certified) for everything else except pin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf, depends on the binding brands being used on the demo skis. Here's are few that I know will be partnered together:

Atomic & Salomon (the creators of the WTR soles) have now switched to alpine/GripWalk so it'll be likely that's what will be on their rail systems. However on their flat mounted skis they should have their excellent Warden 13 MNC or Warden 11 MNC bindings will will work. As far as I know there's still no demo version of the Shift but they might have somethiing mounted with them and they are MNC so will work. Stockli partner the Salomon for bindings so the same will apply for them. Scott also partner with Salomon buth all their skis are flat mounted a so they use the Warden MNC's on them.

Ski brands that partner with Marker (Blizzard, Nordica, Volkl, K2, Line) will be alpine/GripWalk only on both their rail systems and their flat mounted skis will use the Griffon/Squire TCX demo binding which, unlike the consumer flat mounted ID toe versions, are alpine/GripWalk only. And if you've got tech inserts you've find some skis mounted with Kingpin demos.

Dynastar and Rossignol both use Look bindings and all their adult/male skis will likely have their Konect model which is dual WTR & alpine/GripWalk but the womens skis will have their Xpress rail which is alpine/GripWalk. They'll probably also have some freeride/tourers mounted with their tech demo binding which is a rebadged Dynafit Radical 2 ST demo.

Head and Fischer use Tyrolia bindings and all the rail mounted skis will be alpine/GripWalk only but their flat mounted skis should have their Attack 2 AT demo binding which is MNC.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CEM, @spyderjon, So can WTR be used on MNC?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does this help?

http://youtube.com/v/BfrYB5xZldY
It's a year old so things may have changed, but I thought the way he presented the options was good.
(I know nothing of these things but this thread sparked my curiosity - admittedly I don't know the answer to the OP question Puzzled )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamcham wrote:
@CEM, @spyderjon, So can WTR be used on MNC?

MNC = multi norm certified meaning that it will accept all of the current boot sole types, ie alpine, GripWalk, WTR and full touring.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, thanks the the detailed answer, just what I needed. I ought to have a decent choice.

@CEM, it'd be nice if MNC was the norm for all (non-race) bindings but with WTR on the way out, I can't see the incentive for the manufacturers unless it's to support the full-on touring 9523 sole as well, which seems unlikely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mgrolf wrote:
@spyderjon, .....it'd be nice if MNC was the norm for all (non-race) bindings but with WTR on the way out, I can't see the incentive for the manufacturers unless it's to support the full-on touring 9523 sole as well, which seems unlikely.

There's plenty of incentive as all mtn/freeride touring has/is the big growth area and all the big brands make skis, binding & boots:
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, Thanks. After years in touring boots I bought some WTR boots last year so that I could hire skis more easily if I didn't want to take my own. I'm glad to hear I haven't blown it completely rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy