Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Navigating on pistes

Poster: A snowHead
@Hyst, that'll be the one I was thinking of
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peter_h, Its called a piste map, theyre quite common, all resorts have them. If you're not sure whether it goes up or down from the map then suggest skiing to them taking a look from a nearby viewpoint, its really not that hard is it? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Timberwolf, I don’t ski with kids and I’ll always make it clear if I’m planning a route that may be a bit tight for time.

Fair.

I should say that i've just read my post back to myself, and apologies if sounds a bit offish - probably just trying ( badly ) to make my point !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about FatMap if it covers the resort : www.fatmap.com (also comes in mobile versions) - useful for seeing if a run is likely to get steep anywhere if guiding skiers who might struggle.

Personally I use the follow my nose and look technique for navigation, check the board piste maps off the lift, or whilst on the lift the one in my pocket just before I drop my gloves.

Pretty much all big resorts probably have some sort of direction signs, and as already mentioned piste names at the side of the piste on the piste markers, if you get to a junction just look for the markers or stop at the side of the piste and check the map.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:
@Hyst, that'll be the one I was thinking of

Thought so Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@peter_h, I understand from another thread that you are going to Zermatt. I have been there a few years ago and frankly the risk of confusion seems low. The piste map is clear enough (on the Swiss side at least) and there are typically no more than 2-3 pistes leaving from any lift (again, on the Swiss side). Also, signposting was quite good. So I really would not worry about getting lost or confused.

Now, if you want a more realistic idea of the layout of the resort before you go, I suggest you have a look at topographic maps at either map.geo.admin.ch - this is up to date, will show you all the lifts, detailed indications of steepness, but not the pistes - or the previously mentioned opensnowmap, which is less precise but includes the pistes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timberwolf wrote:
I should say that i've just read my post back to myself, and apologies if sounds a bit offish - probably just trying ( badly ) to make my point !

Hey no worries, horses for courses, innit. It probably sounds like I needlessly take the risk, but I don't really do it when I'm travelling across a resort (eg I wouldn't try leaving Courchevel at 16:00 to get back to VT), I just like pushing for last lift on some days, especially at the end of the trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last lift theory is all very well but you do need to take into account chances of a mechanical on "next to last lift" plus other little complications like falling in treewells or throwing a shoe and having an uphill hike in isothermic rot to get it (admittedly the latter two not likely if you stick to pistes)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, or losing vital minutes waiting for a buddy who you eventually assume must either be a) dead or b) on his way to the lift via another route, but whatever, there's nothing you can do to help now and may as well get on before the lift closes, right Dave? rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty sure you aren't talking about me...

or was that the incident when @midgetbiker knowing i was on a board navigated into a flat spot in a whiteout leaving me an Captain Oates style trek to the piste
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless it's nearing the end of the day, particularly in a large domain where it would be awkward/costly to end up in the wrong valley, I tend (on piste) just to ski where my skis take me ie without much planning. But I suppose I wouldn't do that if I weren't reasonably confident of getting down any piste, whatever the colour.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, it's getting up in the cabin lifts you need to worry about wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@adithorp, thanks for that! Bicep still not healed - and it was the bloke who pulled me up by my arm who caused the injury, not the fall. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, hmm, short memory Toofy Grin Although you are right in your assertion that @midgetbiker is far from innocent, having pulled a similar stunt himself rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even the most experienced get it wrong sometimes. A few years ago I skied in the Trois Vallees with a well known British guide and instructor who shall remain nameless and who actually lives in the Tarentaise.

Later in the week we took the Cime de Caron cable car with the intention of skiing into the fourth valley. I had not been to the Trois Valless for some time let alone skied down into the fourth valley. It was a complete whiteout as bad as you could imagine, so we took our time and practiced some very useful drills all the way down for skiing in whiteouts.

As we eventually neared the bottom I saw a large cable car looming out of the mist. Well I thought, they really must have decided to do some very serious development in the fourth valley. As we got nearer I suddenly realised it was the Cime de Caron cable car that we had not so long ago travelled up in.

Whoops!

An app might have been useful that day.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Unless it's nearing the end of the day, particularly in a large domain where it would be awkward/costly to end up in the wrong valley
And when there is a danger of that one tends to ski in a very exciting manner wink #happydays
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Unless it's nearing the end of the day, particularly in a large domain where it would be awkward/costly to end up in the wrong valley
And when there is a danger of that one tends to ski in a very exciting manner wink #happydays

It happened to myself and a Friend. We skied in an excitable manner and arrived at the connecting lift out of Val Thorens....just as the "Garage Door" was pulled down and the lift closed.

This resulted in the two of us walking up the adjacent Black run, which took several hours.....where we were met by a Pisteur, who accompanied us down, in the Moonlight, to Mottaret. Fun, but exhausting. I was younger then and my friend climbed mountains for pleasure, so was as fit as a flea. I think it was nearly 8pm before we finally made it back.
snow conditions
I get a paper copy of the piste map of the resort I'm planning to visit, well in advance of the trip. Then, while waiting for the snow and the trip date to arrive, I memorize it. Its pretty satisfying to have a decent clue about where you are even though you've never been there before.
ski holidays
Quote:

We skied in an excitable manner

Laughing Laughing Laughing Sounds like "Three Men in a Boat". Excellent.
snow conditions
This little-known, but fantastic app, for both iPhone and Android:

www.maprika.com

It shows you exactly where you are on a standard piste map on your phone.

Most of the major resorts maps are available.

If your resort is not there, you can upload the piste map yourself; but before you do that, you need to "Geo-reference" the piste map with "anchors". You can learn how to do that here:

http://www.maprika.com/make-a-map.html

As piste maps are just representational drawings, you will need to provide anchor points for almost every lift and piste, if it's to be accurate. And that's a lot of work.
snow report
Relax............. Just go with the flow....................................

http://youtube.com/v/RaEU_A405zA
ski holidays
@Poogle,
Take a look at 4riders ski app
snow report
@arcsinice, mk1 Rossi STs?
snow conditions
oakley hud gps goggles for you my friend.
they ll show you exactly where you are on the piste map, (just upload the area) , speed youre going and no doubt youll be able to sync with your ski buddies so you can get their location on your display in the near future ... suppose youll be able to get that woman giving you directions in your earhole too as per satnav ...
ski holidays
We just follow @neddyskigoon. In neddy we trust.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Pro tip always have New Rose by the Damned cued up on your personal gramophone when you absolutely only have 2 minutes to get to the lift or face a very long walk.
latest report
Paper maps still the best option
Most mobile apps/phones gobble battery's when its below 0c
Were in Sella Ronda last winter and after the first couple of days where we had issues getting orientated following the signs was fine though visibility was good all week
We did go on the reps trip to hidden valley rather than DIY and it turned out to be a fun day and skied places we would have been unlikely to do on our own. The hidden valley run we could have easily did ourselfs but other bits we would have missed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... Pro tip always have New Rose by the Damned cued up on your personal gramophone when you absolutely only have 2 minutes to get to the lift or face a very long walk.

Oh s**t. I thought that was just me. Terrifying to think that other people may be listening to decent music.

--
Most reasonable sized resorts have Apps these days, I believe they are for selling what the Japanese call gomi to people. Marketing devices.
ski holidays
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
I get a paper copy of the piste map of the resort I'm planning to visit, well in advance of the trip. Then, while waiting for the snow and the trip date to arrive, I memorize it. Its pretty satisfying to have a decent clue about where you are even though you've never been there before.
I look at piste maps online of the resort I am going to so I have an idea which lifts leads to the best runs. I agree it is a good idea to have an idea of where you are on the first day. I also youtube resorts and check out some of the runs, It helps pass the time until I get to ski them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy