Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation - 1st week Feb 2017, Tignes, Val d, Meribel, Iscghl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads...

Looking for some advice please for a resort and possibly accommodation recommendation for a ski trip end of Jan / 1st week of Feb 2017.

We will likely be a group of guys 6-10, mostly skiers but a couple of boarders, strong intermediates to advanced. Mostly stick to pistes though - not yet into the off piste stuff...boarders will probably do a bit of off piste...

Priorities are:

1. 200km or more slopes and also quite a bit of vertical...good lift system and minimal queuing..
2. Snowsure resort and good snow conditions, but given the dates we're going it probably isn't a huge problem. Also some variance to the terrain...alpine and tree lined runs...
3. Ski in - ski out or something which is very close to a gondola or lift to get up and ideally not something which is close to a lift, but which requires you to take multiple other lifts to gain altitude i.e. no use being close to a piste or lift which takes you to the nursery slopes).
4. Either a self-catering apartment or catered chalet - not too fussed as we're not overly focused on luxuries.
5. Decent Apres ski bars for a few beers after the day's skiing and some nightlife, but we're past the age (we're mid 30's) where we'll stay out till the 02:00 in the morning. Ideally again something where the apres ski bars are walkable from the chalet.
6. Costs - not keen on paying more than Euro 10 for a pint of beer or a 15 Euro for lunch and a drink. All in we don't really want to spend more than £1600 for the week (flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, ski-hire, food and drinks).

Shortlist of resorts or areas which we're considering and my initial thoughts on each:

1. 3 Valleys (Meribel in particular) - ticks most of the boxes above, but a little concerned about the costs and some of the ski-in / out descriptions for the chalets are a bit misleading - close to a pise or lift, but you need multiple other lifts to really get up to the peaks and some of the ski-in ski-out chalets are quite far from the Apres ski bars. Recommendations on any chalets or apartments would be most welcome. Also thought about Val T, but a little worried abut conditions end of Jan / Feb. Pretty exposed and could be subject to white-outs etc, no tree lined runs etc. Two guys in the group was in Meribel this year and loved it...

2. Tignes / Val d'Isere - Same as above, but a bit worried that it could be bleak end of Jan end of Feb and also I've heard Val is quite pricey.

3. Ischgl - A couple of us went there last year and it was excellent - best trip I've been on yet. You don't quite get ski-in ski-out, but if you choose the hotel or apartment well you can find accommodation which is very close to the gondolas and which you can ski to within 50m, which fits the bill with the apres ski bars all within easy walking distance. Only reason I would not go back is to explore some new areas. Short transfer time and relative cheap cost of transfer is an added bonus.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome...

Regards
Woolies
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
val thorens is extreme expensive. pizza is close to 20e. hot chocolate is 6e. english breakfast tea was 5e (WTF??) cant comment on beer but glass on wine was 12e. prices broke my heart but i would return if i found myself flush again as lots of other ++ to the area. im going to meribel motteret this year. terrace of apt is on the slope!! hoping for more avg food prices Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see this thread was posted in Mar 2016.
I wonder where they went?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ha ha ha didnt notice, hopefully my opinion might assist someone else Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thx for the late reply ... hehe.
Was very surprised to see the reply last night on the old post.
We ended up going back to Saalbach-Hinterglemm in 2017 which was very good. Previously we were there in 2015, but mid 2nd week of March in an exceptionally warm season, so snow conditions were pretty poor. The snow conditions were brilliant for the 2017 trip. Very reasonable prices and great atmosphere. Next year back to Ischgl.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
xxlollsxx,

Where did you pay €20 for pizza in Val Thorens? Shocked Puzzled

They serve lovely pizzas (in lovely surroundings) in Tango & La Petite Ferme for €12-14. Wine is very reasonable in the latter, too. And large beers cost about €6 in a number of bars (like The Red Fox and the 2 Irish bars). wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy