Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slope Angel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ive just seen this via Henry's Avalanche Talk page. Will it be a must have addition to some peoples safety, kit or will many still use their phone/watch in combination with their transceiver ??

https://www.slopeangel.com/product/slope-angel-halo/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit less to lug around:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2624522
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems an extra gizmo to forge/lose. I'm also interested as to where these perfect slopes are where you can simply lay down an inclinometer and get an accurate reading.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I road-tested one earlier in the season for Style Altitude and whilst it's a sgreat little device, it really needs to be set on a pole to get a true reading and it's a bit fussy as to its vertical orientation, a few degrees one way or the other and it gives false reading, practise make perfect Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just use your ski poles to measure the critical angle of 30 using poles to create an equilateral triangle.
Lay one pole on the snow directly above you so that basket, up the hill, and handle end mark the snow clearly.
Lift up pole, place tip on basket mark till basket is on snow mark.
Take second pole and place tip on end of handle mark, with basket on snow surface.
Join two handles together to form an equilateral triangle.
If the verticalish pole is actually vertical, then the slope is 30 degrees. If this pole leans out over slope, then over 30 deg slope, if leans back under 30 deg slope.
A Red piste averages 22 degrees, so 30 is a black slope.
Quite a few off piste ski guides and instructors haven't come across this very simple method.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Henry teaches this method
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gordyjh, great, so no need for the meter!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve had Pieps less sophisticated version for years (it only give slope angle and temperature). It relatively unobtrusive and straps tightly to your pole.

https://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-30degplus-xt
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My compass has a built in inclinometer but I must admit I’ve never used it. I have used the ski pole method described above.

Another reference point can be a camera viewfinder. A normal 4:3 image is about 37 degrees corner to corner.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess for snowboarders, for whom carrying ski poles around isn't a factor, finding a different method of assessing slope angle may be useful
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inclinometers are good tools for learning to assess the slope angle visually, but if you're using one to make go/no-go decisions, you're doing it wrong!

I have one which is very cheap, very accurate, very lightweight, never runs out of batteries and is very easy to use with gloved hands. It's a plastic protractor with a dangly needle....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gordyjh wrote:
Henry teaches this method
Yes. Skiing with instructors and guides last winter and they hadn't heard of it and thought it pretty cool.

In addition his three figures are:

15 - 30 - 50

15 minutes burial max for a 90% survival rate

30 degree slope

50% max of your on piste speed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy