Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goldcar car hire from Treviso - too good to be true?

Poster: A snowHead
Goldcar are offering a week's hire (full to full tank, unlimited mileage, with snow chains) from Treviso for £50 for a week for our dates in March. But they seem to have an even worse reputation than the other big companies. Should we:

1. Snap it up (we have excess insurance which reduces our excess to 100 euros)
2. Pay more with another company (probably twice as much, going on last year's price)
3. Wait and see if other companies drop their prices
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've a dispute on with them at the moment. Booked a cheap deal, took out third party insurance (their self insurance is where they make their bunce) and found an unauthorised credit card debit when I got back for "damage".

I'd avoid unless you factor in their insurance in the cost.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have also heard bad things, however I used them a couple of months ago in Spain without excess insurance and without issue.

I strongly declined their excess-insurance as I self insure. "If I break it, I'll pay for it". They are persistent and they will try to scare you.

I always photograph cars on pick-up and drop off and feel happiest if they see me do it. In this case their papers marked about half the existing damage (all minor) to the car, so I marked the rest up and they did not check my work (very wise). Mark every little thing is my advice, it's easy enough to do and may be useful later. I had no issues on return, but I keep the papers and monitor my account. They haven't charged me any extra, although I'd instruct my bank to charge it back if they tried.

I've also recently rented from other companies and not noticed any difference in the hard-sell of hyper-expensive insurance or honesty, hence I go for the cheapest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They refused my custom at Stansted as I refused to pay what amounted to 3 times the initial hire fee for 'compulsory insurance'. They were also unhappy that I have a UK driving licence but do not live in the UK (which I have now rectified by getting an Austrian driving licence).

I got a full refund and went to Europcar, paid slightly more but without the aggro.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no recent experience of Goldcar, but used Firefly from Venice this year as a bolt on to a Ryanair flight, and waited over two hours to be served, because they prioritised Hertz customers at the shared desk!

I also had a refreshingly good experience with Malagacars an off site operator at Malaga airport, who opened my mind to the very good value that some off site rental companies can offer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the absolute pits of a company, dirtymethods.com. Do not even think about it just go to a reputable rental agency.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
denfinella wrote:
Goldcar are offering a week's hire (full to full tank, unlimited mileage, with snow chains) from Treviso for £50 for a week for our dates in March. But they seem to have an even worse reputation than the other big companies. Should we:

1. Snap it up (we have excess insurance which reduces our excess to 100 euros)
2. Pay more with another company (probably twice as much, going on last year's price)
3. Wait and see if other companies drop their prices

I have not used them but I was researching heavily earlier in the year for a trip to Italy. Based on what I read I would not take a car from Goldcar.

Europcar seemed the best of a bad bunch. I clicked on my easyjet flight link to get a discount which was still more than Goldcar but with Goldcar you effectively don't know the price because of the afters and aggro. The Europcar hire went without a hitch fyi.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Sunday Times has highlighted loads of complaints against Goldcar.
There business practices sound shocking.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:

Europcar seemed the best of a bad bunch. I clicked on my easyjet flight link to get a discount which was still more than Goldcar but with Goldcar you effectively don't know the price because of the afters and aggro. The Europcar hire went without a hitch fyi.

I am pretty sure I read that Goldcar is owned by Europcar Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skitow, you read correctly

https://www.ft.com/content/2730a3be-54e0-11e7-80b6-9bfa4c1f83d2
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitow wrote:
Layne wrote:

I am pretty sure I read that Goldcar is owned by Europcar Puzzled

From what I read in the ST Europcar took over Goldcar but they appear to operate differently with EUropcar being relatively relaible and Goldcar not really improving since the takeover.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had good experiences with Hertz, Enterprise & Locauto (owned by Enterprise) in Italy. As with car hire in most countries, you always have to decline their costly insurance and have your own excess insurance. A family member swears by Sixt, but he hires in Germany where they're based, though they do have outlets in Italy.

It's worth noting that the big rental companies have a budget subsidiary that is often cheaper and in my experience you end up with something from the same fleet anyway. Thrifty & Dollar for Hertz, Budget for Avis, Alamo & National for Enterprise, etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. Might give them a miss then.

In the past we've used Enterprise, Europcar, Sixt and Budget, all with no problems - and never been charged for damage.

We've got excess insurance already.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It almost always is better to go with a name company, although we too have used Malagacar with success. I've also seen those Goldcar rates and been tempted...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is certainly an issue with some companies of very poor service and huge waits at airports to process the paperwork. There is, however, no rhyme or reason for this and when one passes through airports they always seem to be at different outlets! I think I have had better experiences generally from off airport outlets albeit there can be interesting excursions in trying to find their depots to return the car too as they tend to be tucked away on trading estates and the suchlike as the clock ticks down to check-in.
latest report
I used them a couple of years ago in Malta for a Summer holiday. Spent 4 hours waiting for a car, eventually convinced them that a family of 5 with three young kids deserved not to be waiting around an airport and they arranged a transfer to our accommodation and delivered the car that evening.

You get what you pay for and I would class them with Ryanair in that if you absolutely need to be somewhere, use someone else.
snow conditions
Don't use Gold Car.
latest report
Europcar also acquired Gold car's equally ugly sister - Inter rent. Seem to be from the same stable...
latest report
@denfinella, Autovia are also very cheap and also operate out of Treviso.
I had an awful experience with them and have since seen that they are as bad as Goldcar.
Also one to avoid.
snow conditions
How about Rhodium? Equally bad as Goldcar?

And what about Firefly? A bit better?
latest report
firefly a subsidary of Hertz, not great t deal with, I would avoid
snow report
@denfinella,Terrible company, I'd avoid them like the plaque. Had the most awful experience with them in Pisa a while ago.
snow conditions
Surprised to see how many people here recommend Europcar. In my experience, they're a bunch of crooks. The TL;DR is that they have dishonest staff and Head Office covers up for them.

Tenerife this year. Europcar smiling assistant inspected the car, told me there was no charge, handed me a tablet and asked me to sign. I got home and the filthy scum charge me for fuel, even though the tank was full to the brim.

No problem, I thought - honest mistake, reputable company and all that - so I politely complained. After several weeks they refused my claim on the grounds that I'd signed. Despite several follow up attempts, they completely blanked me.

So I went onto Twitter. They made out on their public feed that they had resolved my complaint, but actually completely ignored every attempt I made to contact them. In the end - as they wanted - I gave up.

Use them at your peril. In dozens of experiences, I have never had a problem with the big international companies: Hertz, Alamo, Budget, etc, and I will stick to them in future.
latest report
@Jonny Jones, that sounds really annoying. Europcar *are* one of the "big international companies" though aren't they? So sounds like sometimes you can't win whatever you do...
snow conditions
Avoid Goldcar, wouldn't accept a credit card deposit to cover excess even though i showed them the contract from easycar, leaving me with the options of paying for their expensive insurance or being stranded at the airport.
ski holidays
I was lucky, I hired one in Italy, didnt take their insurance.
Half an hour later I backed it into a tower and dented badly.
Worried all week ... took it back at he end of the holiday and fessed up to the damage.
They didnt charge me ????

Quite really .. a Spanish registered Fiesta Hire it in Pisa.

They were not even that bothered about the tower I bumped into.
snow report
I've used them thrice.

The first time in Madrid for an 11day hire. They charged me 40 euros to collect the car after midnight, although this was fair expected to be there at 11pm but was delayed. Returning was simple, no funny business with extra charges or scratches.

Second time also in Madrid, as above, no problems at all.

Third time in Barcelona, a very trying experience, although there were a few attempts to diddle me out a few bob, I managed to get away unscathed through liberal use of friendly sweary Castillian.

It can be very cheap if you pick your way through their minefield.

Any unauthorised charges they make after the hire can be claimed back from your credit card company.

Of the rest, the best I've used was Sixt - class act from the Germans, no funny business.
snow conditions
There was a big feature on goldcar in the Times recently - loads of terrible reviews about charges on cards after going home etc. Sounds like an outfit to avoid.

Thinking about it though we always fret about getting a nice safe car over here and then look for the cheapest deal in an unknown car to drive on unfamiliar and snowy roads - decided not to do that after a couple of rubbish vehicles from cheap companies with massive queues at the pick up too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do not use GoldCar. By the time they've forced you to take their over-priced insurance, ripped you off for fuel & made you pay for non-existent damage just about any other company will be cheaper!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy