Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Zermatt train

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of quick questions about the train from Geneva to Visp
I know the Swiss transfer ticket is the cheapest solution but can you reserve seats with that ticket ?
We are a group of 12 , so will we have any issues getting seats together on Saturday Feb 16th ( half term )?
Is 1st class worth the extra money ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested in responses to this as we are a group of 4 travelling from GVA to Zermatt by train on 26th jan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’ve just bought saver day passes for our transfer over New Years, works out cheaper than the transfer ticket at 104 franc return, but I don’t know how this would work for a group booking??

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you look at the connection you're planning to get on the SBB website a bit nearer the time, it'll give you an indication of how busy the train is likely to be. No seat reservations with a transfer ticket unfortunately.

I'm guessing it’ll be pretty busy - that’s one of the most popular days of the season to be travelling. First class is nice, but for the sake of a couple of hours on a train is it really worth it? Only you can judge.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,
Transfer ticket or no transfer ticket, seat reservation on the Geneva - Visp route is only possible on 1-2 trains a day (the ones that go to Milan), so it is not an option. I would not worry too much as there are two things in your favour : trains originate at the airport (which I assume is your starting point), and they are so frequent (every 20-40 minutes) that I would simply wait for the next one if the one I aimed for was really too crowded. A beautiful ride, by the way!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As Balso said, you have the benefit of getting on the train at the start. Plus since you can't be sure what time you will arrive (air traffic delays etc) booking a seat on a particular train isn't that practical. Best just to get the first one that rolls in with space.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re first class: I've done that a few times and it is definitely more comfortable but the standard class seats are ok
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But in 1st class groups (which are rather noisy by nature) are bit frowned upon...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buy standard seats, then grab a meal in the restaurant, which only does table service to 1st class area.....once you have a table you can stay there the whole trip
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gwatts10, The Swiss Transfer ticket is being withdrawn soon but you can purchase one now and it will be valid for a while. See this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139250#3288697
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo wrote:
buy standard seats, then grab a meal in the restaurant, which only does table service to 1st class area.....once you have a table you can stay there the whole trip

The Geneva to Visp train does not have a restaurant car. That line is very much the poor relation of the Swiss railway system.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnMo, Yes, I have done that journey and remember there was no restaurant car. It was a comfy train though and not busy when I did it but that was off season. You can always stock up with snacks from the Migros supermarket in Geneva airport but remember the Migros doesn’t sell alcohol. There is a wine/beer shop near the Migros if you want such refreshments. I was actually travelling to Saas Fee and caught the Postbus from Visp to Saas Fee.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have done this train route a couple of times on a Saturday (Saturday before xmas) and when I get on at the airport I usually have the carriage to myself. It gets busier further down the line.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Book 2nd class.

The carriages suck and the trains are among the slowest in the world.

But there are always plenty of seats or standingroom.

And there is always another train right around the corner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It depends on which train time you are on. They are 2 per hour, and has been stated you should be able to gauge how busy it is now assuming you have bought your flights, by going on the SBB site. You would be looking at an hour after landing -ish. The station is directly under the airport. No restaurant car, however if you can afford it 1st class helps in a few ways, its less busy, much wider seats, and room for luggage, plus less of a frantic rush if on a Saturday and you are going from one platform to another in Visp, you are wanting to sit together as a group. Swiss pass is finishing, however I have just bought mine for travel in March, and the Swiss tourist office in London said no issue. This is also the cheapest way of buying these by a small margin. The journey by the way is one of the best you can imagine. Speed is decent, and the carriages are basic, except first class is a little better as you would imagine. Try to get seats on the right of the train for the best views. Enjoy snowHead
latest report
twoodwar wrote:
It depends on which train time you are on. They are 2 per hour, and has been stated you should be able to gauge how busy it is now assuming you have bought your flights, by going on the SBB site. You would be looking at an hour after landing -ish. The station is directly under the airport. No restaurant car, however if you can afford it 1st class helps in a few ways, its less busy, much wider seats, and room for luggage, plus less of a frantic rush if on a Saturday and you are going from one platform to another in Visp, you are wanting to sit together as a group. Swiss pass is finishing, however I have just bought mine for travel in March, and the Swiss tourist office in London said no issue. This is also the cheapest way of buying these by a small margin. The journey by the way is one of the best you can imagine. Speed is decent, and the carriages are basic, except first class is a little better as you would imagine. Try to get seats on the right of the train for the best views. Enjoy snowHead

I would second that. If it is a nice day, the views across the lake and over to the high Alps and Mont Blanc in particular are fantastic.

Just to expand on which is the “right” side to be on. Geneva airport is the terminal station so the trains leave from the same end they have come in from. You want to be on the right hand side in the direction of travel. Obviously if the train is already in the station you won’t know which way that is! As you come down the stairs the train will usually be on your left hand side. In that case you want to be sitting in the seats on the far side from the boarding platform. If the train is on your right hand side as you come down the stairs (not so common) then you want to be in the seats nearest the platform.
snow report
@gwatts10, imo it's not worth it on the transfer ticket (it's nearly 100 Fr. more). First class is a bit nicer but the main benefit is that it's quieter. Travelling with a group I wouldn't bother.
snow conditions
Agreed re side of train John Mo, however I was not certain it always came in on the same platform. I have used first class because of reasons stated, but particularly as we were a family group and we wanted to sit together. Not a done deal from visp up, on Saturday as it can be very busy in my experience. Depends what you want and what you want to/can spend. Your choice as they say
snow report
Due to arrive GVA on 26th Jan at 16:40. I assume there'll be no problem getting a train between 6 and 7 pm and returning the following Saturday to get to GVA by 1pm?
snow report
We did this trip at Easter to Visp then post bus up to SaaS Fee. Train was fine. Lots of space, comfortable seats. Coming back we had to change in Lausanne due to engineering works. Train will be fine, sit back and enjoy the scenery!
ski holidays
Should be no problem time wise. Around 3 hours 50 mins including the Visp change to Zermatt. Check the sbb timetable for exact times halfhand.
snow report
For the return journey, it can be pretty crowded getting on at Visp. If you have time, stay on the Zermatt train until Brig then catch the Geneva train from there - should be easier for a group to get seats together.
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for great answers ( except Whitegold of course ) I guess we will stick with 2nd class and hope we are on the platform early enough to circle the wagons and ensure we get 12 seats together
snow report
@twoodwar, @1gunsalute, Thanks for the tips.

@gwatts10, Apologies for the (minor) thread hijack Toofy Grin
ski holidays
What's it like taking skis / snowboards on the train? We're thinking of taking the train to Zermatt the Saturday before Christmas, but I came across a review of Zermatt that someone had posted on another website which said that the train "is not equipped for ski equipment". It was a grumpy review from someone who'd clearly had a bad holiday, but it did get me wondering...
snow report
You can take whatever you want on the train - there's plenty of room and lots of people will have skis.
latest report
As above, absolutely no issue with Ski gear
snow report
Thanks for that - it's good to know that it won't be a problem. I had visions of spending the whole journey trying to stop our skis falling over or tripping people up whilst simultaneously keeping the children occupied!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a superb journey that I've done a few times before. Enjoy the views and Zermatt!
snow report
I managed to get 2 grandparents, a 5 year old, a wife, 3 massive bags and two Evoc bike bags on the train from Geneva to Zermatt no worries so you'll have no bother with skis !
Main point is no catering between Gva and Zmt so make sure you stock up. Migros in Gva train station worth a whip round before you hop on. Makes the journey so much more fun with a bottle or two of bubbles and a charcuterie plate !
latest report
No alcohol in Migros though.
ski holidays
Wine shop just before in the station though snowHead
latest report
Thanks everyone for the info. I'd be trying to get two children, a wife, 1 massive bag, 1 snowboard/ski bag, and 4 carry-on bags onto the train so there's plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong! Migros beforehand is a good tip to keep everyone fed.
latest report
Keep an eye on your luggage, I had my main bag stolen (boots/clothes etc) stolen somewhere between Martigny and Geneva, the guard said someone reported a black guy wheeling a bag off round Lausanne who didn't look like a ski tourist, but he was out of the station before anybody could question him........
snow report
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the warning.
ski holidays
Something to note - the connection at Visp can be fairly snug. There is usually an 8 minute window to get over to the platform for the Zermatt rack and pinion train. A fairly long period of time until you add skis, boots, bags and family in tow! We always get everything ready before we pull into Visp and make a charge for it!
snow report
@Run28, is the 8 minutes correct? I think the minimum transfer is 15 minutes (13 minutes on return). Regardless your point is right about not dawdling if you have lots in tow. Having said that I usually pop out to the coop at the front of Visp station to get a coffee (or something stronger if I need some apres ski training).
latest report
Aggggh , everyone is going to hate me . After all your very valid info regarding the train , several in our group have suggested that because they travel every day on a train in UK they would prefer a minibus transfer as there are 12 of us . Last year we did the minibus solution and sat in traffic going to st Anton for 6 hours rather than expected 2 hours , and we have heard numerous horror stories of lengthy delays in the Savoie region of the french alps , so the latest question to all you Zermattists is has anyone got experience of the journey from Geneva airport to Tasch on the Saturday half term . Its seems to be motorway until about Sion , and then drops down to single carriageway before we turn off at VISP .Is that a traffic pinch point ?
Does anyone have any experience or will it be rammed and hence delays likely ?
ski holidays
Are they mad? A Swiss train journey past Lake Geneva and through the Alps is nothing like squeezing into a packed UK commuter service. Swiss trains have much more space and stating the obvious the scenery is stunning. Plus you would still have the faff of changing at Täsch for the last leg. The train from Geneva to Zermatt is ridiculously convenient as the station is in the airport, and all part of the Swiss skiing experience. Cracking open your first beer on the train as it departs GVA is where your holiday begins IMHO.
latest report
Not half term gwatts10. But journey was fine early Saturday. I had however driven all the way from Liverpool. Once arriving by air to Geneva your party must be mad to want a minibus transfer is all I can say. If they travelled everyday by car as I have from Liverpool to Manchester, I would crawl over hot coals before getting in a minibus. This is swissrail we are talking about though, not our crap commuter services. Tell them to all shape up! Advice with best intentions snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy