Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of an era in Val d'Isere - the Moris Hotel is finally closing

Poster: A snowHead
So it turns out my trip to the Moris earlier this month was my last one ever! Not only is the Moris closing but Mark Warner are also shutting the Cristallo in Courmayeur, meaning they'll no longer operate in Italy.

https://www.skiline.co.uk/blog/the-end-of-an-era-in-val-dIsere

There was a lot of chat during the week that the hotel had been sold and was being redeveloped but those rumours have been around for years. Now it seems they are true!

I've been a Moris regular for around ten years now and I'll definitely be sorry to see it go. It's always been scruffy, run down and smelly, but it was unpretentious and provided a warm bed and a (boiling or freezing) shower - plus the bands downstairs were great. A week there in March could be had for less than £800, and there were always further discounts to make it even cheaper. The single rooms were very useful too.

Of course it did attract some 'characters' (aka weirdos), but that was almost part of its charm.

Val d'Isere is so expensive, I'm not sure where to look for future holidays there. The other Mark Warner hotel is £1050 for the same week next year, and when you throw in a £270 lift pass it starts to get a bit pricey.

RIP the Moris, it's been a blast.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A shame. I worked there in 1999/2000 and, as you wrote, it was scruffy and run down, but the clients knew what they were getting and most were return visitors. It had a certain charm when compared with much of the rest of town, and the Moris Pub was a great place for live music and toffee vodka.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first ever ski trip was a Mark Warner package to the Moris.. obviously I loved it, sad to hear it's going to be no more Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With that and the Alpaka going, it won't be the same. Shame.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Morris ... those were the days.
My visit there was 14 chums back in 1996 (I think) [it was the season that Head presented us with the X13 parabolix]
I didn't called them carvers, I just could not stop them turning.

Anyway, we loved the Morris. It was pretty funky like a few other Mark Warner gigs.
The Monte Forte Chalet in Verbier comes to mind.

That was brilliant ... we had a room with a balcony and its own glacier crossing the floor, wellies were needed.

Both of these chalets had the benefit of a very lively bars downstairs.

Perhaps the Monte Fort is still there? I haven't been back to Verbier for many years.

Our crew did get a yellow card from the manager at the Morris, some other guests on the next table thought we were enjoying ourselves too much. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, ....right...that's it...I'm starting the '...now closed hotels which were great (thread)...'.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hate that place great news that it is going 😃😃😃😃
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know what is happening to the building?

And the Pub web site suggests it's still functioning - http://www.morispub.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a prime spot and the land must be worth a fortune, but there is no talk of it closing on the Val FB pages.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
vipul wrote:
Hate that place great news that it is going 😃😃😃😃

Have you tried not going there, as an alternative remedy?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is a prime plot and location - could easily be knocked down to build an apartment block or hotel - the Cygnaski was another Mark Warner chalet (with creche which our young children enjoyed XX years ago!) half-way down to La Daille and that has been turned into apartments.

Having stayed in the Moris (3 times?), Cygnaski a while back and the Berangere in Les Deux Alpes, I seriously wonder if Mark Warner are just gradually giving up on running ski chalets (given all the hassle with staff, customers and regulations) and becoming a property play.

The Moris must be worth a €2 -5 Million just to then knock it down!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stopped in the Cygnaski at the turn of the century with my then little kids. Was told then that MW where the second largest employer in Val D behind the lift company, not sure if it's true, but they certainly haven't got that presence any more. Happy to say we won the Moris pub quiz back in Jan as a walk up team of 3 who didn't even know there was a quiz. The free beer was most welcome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ashridge wrote:
I seriously wonder if Mark Warner are just gradually giving up on running ski chalets (given all the hassle with staff, customers and regulations) and becoming a property play.

They've got rid of so many hotels in recent years, I wonder the same. They've only got a handful of ski hotels left - six in France (three in the EK) and one in St Anton.

I wouldn't be surprised if they quit the ski business altogether and just do summer holidays instead.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HoneyBunny wrote:
So it turns out my trip to the Moris earlier this month was my last one ever! Not only is the Moris closing but Mark Warner are also shutting the Cristallo in Courmayeur, meaning they'll no longer operate in Italy.

https://www.skiline.co.uk/blog/the-end-of-an-era-in-val-dIsere

There was a lot of chat during the week that the hotel had been sold and was being redeveloped but those rumours have been around for years. Now it seems they are true!

I've been a Moris regular for around ten years now and I'll definitely be sorry to see it go. It's always been scruffy, run down and smelly, but it was unpretentious and provided a warm bed and a (boiling or freezing) shower - plus the bands downstairs were great. A week there in March could be had for less than £800, and there were always further discounts to make it even cheaper. The single rooms were very useful too.

Of course it did attract some 'characters' (aka weirdos), but that was almost part of its charm.

Val d'Isere is so expensive, I'm not sure where to look for future holidays there. The other Mark Warner hotel is £1050 for the same week next year,
and when you throw in a £270 lift pass it starts to get a bit pricey.

RIP the Moris, it's been a blast.

Have you thought of a Bash? The Pre BB Bash last year, £525 for a very nice hotel, half board, with showers that work and a lift pass (not confirmed for this year). Flight and transfer to find. Bashes have been known to attract the odd character too. snowHead
snow report
^ oh I've been on a few bashes before, great fun! I prefer to go the EK in March though when the weather is (usually) starting to get a bit warmer.

The town of Val d'Isere itself is undergoing a massive redevelopment this year - a new moving walkway is being built!:

https://www.igluski.com/news/val-d-isere-announces-huge-200-million-euro-redevelopment-project_a19736508
snow report
@HoneyBunny, interesting summary of big investment. Val D obviously confident about remaining near the top of the league for European snow sports.

Where will the main live band venue be, I wonder, now the Morris has closed?
snow report
@HoneyBunny, I can recommend the BB for a good week's skiing at a very reasonable price
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Probably the Danois, they still have live bands - and there's Cocorico for apres.

@Rabbie, I went on the BB a few years ago, but going on it mean's missing my husband's birthday which is a bit mean so I doubt I'll go again Smile
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, my son's birthday is the same day as snowHeads' so I miss it every year! Embarassed
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, thanks, I can’t think where the Danois Bar is but will find out.

Is the bar floor as sticky as the Moris?
latest report
@PeakyB, I’ve never found a bar with a sticker floor than the Moris. The Danois is opposite the Casserole restaurant which sits just at the roundabout next to the Gare Routiere. Roughly opposite the Spar
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
^ oh I've been on a few bashes before, great fun! I prefer to go the EK in March though when the weather is (usually) starting to get a bit warmer.

The town of Val d'Isere itself is undergoing a massive redevelopment this year - a new moving walkway is being built!:

https://www.igluski.com/news/val-d-isere-announces-huge-200-million-euro-redevelopment-project_a19736508

The whole block from the Banana Bar to the Gare Routier is planned to be redeveloped... but they need someone to come forward with the €200,000,000 first Embarassed
snow conditions
@muppet, thanks.
I think a few square metres of the Moris floor should be kept and displayed in the Val D museum.

Useful for catching insects in the summer.
ski holidays
Used to go in there 94/96 ish (I think).....shame to see old places like that go.
snow report
End of another era!

The Pacific Bar has been sold and will close its doors this weekend.

Closing party this Saturday..
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
End of another era!

The Pacific Bar has been sold and will close its doors this weekend.

Closing party this Saturday..

Guffy will be sorely missed.
snow conditions
By the way, a source in Val d'Isere says nothing's happened with the Moris this summer, so maybe the pub will be back next season and they'll just continue to use the hotel as staff accommodation until a decision's been made on how to redevelop the building.

The Pacific Bar will just be closed for the coming season and nothing will happen with it for the moment.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ogier Sport ( the expensive/designer shop, which usually has the hot chicken van parked in front of it on Mondays) is also closing and has been selling off stock and fixtures and fittings since last Feb/March. This is situated between Moris and Pacific so I presume the whole block has been sold for re development.
I’ m back out this weekend so will ask about.
latest report
Oooh let us know.

The smell of that chicken van always makes me soooo hungry.
ski holidays
Ahhh the Moris, hot water in the loo when I was there. You can't beat a warm flush. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@SkyBlueMagoo, welcome to snowHeads.

So that’s where the hot water that should have come out of the shower went.
snowHead
latest report
Christ, don't mention the shower Shocked

A drain full of hair and a sloping tray meant a wet bathroom. Three nights. That was enough.

But many, many happy memories in the bar.
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
By the way, a source in Val d'Isere says nothing's happened with the Moris this summer, so maybe the pub will be back next season and they'll just continue to use the hotel as staff accommodation until a decision's been made on how to redevelop the building.

Apparently that is the case, and it will be just used for staff this coming season.

I will really miss it! Never thought I'd say that but it's been like my second home for ten years. And we got seasonaire prices in the Moris which, when combined with happy hour, was very decent for Val! £16 bottle of prosecco!!
latest report
stayed here a couple of seasons ago, loved it despite its shabbiness. The only thing that put me off was the noise at night from the bands! part of the experience i guess.
latest report
Too many occasions having dinner in full ski gear having popped downstairs for "a quick one or two" to think about.

Very shabby but some great times both on and off the slope
latest report
Classic ski resort property that's been around since the world of (British) chalet holidays began. But Val has gone the way of Courchevel a few years back - how long until you can't do a pub crawl in Val d'Isere any more either??
snow report
@iainm, good point. Val D gradually moving even further upmarket year on year, like Courchevel 1850.
Consequently, British TOs like Mark Warner significantly reducing their presence in those towns.
They have offloaded the Toviere (La Daille) Dahu (Courchevel 1850) and now the Moris (Val D’Isere). All fairly basic, often good value, large hotels, which gave access to some of the best skiing in the world.
snow report
@PeakyB, didn't they also used to own the Doron in Meribel a while back? Although not sure it was ever marketed under the MW name
snow report
@dsoutar, yes, I think I remember the Doron, but never stayed there. MW still have the Tarentaise in Mottaret and Loren in Meribel I think.

I don’t notice quite the same rush towards gentrification there as I have in C1850 and Val D.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy