Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milan Malpensa to Gressoney La Trinite

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done this, easy drive?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd like to tell you but the last time I did this our flight (last one on 24 Dec) was delayed by an hour and when we got to the car rental desk they had given our car away and none of the desks had any cars and were reluctant to commit to giving one next day due to holidays so even staying that night in Milan might not have sorted things.

I managed to negotiate a taxi for a fare that was just less than the Italian national debt bit as we drove up the mountain the heavy rain turned to snow and about 50km short of Gressoney we were told that a huge avalanche had shut the road. We managed to find a room in a hotel that really should be a museum. Fortunately the storm abated overnight and about mid morning the road got reopened and we got another taxi driven by a man who thought his clapped out fiat was in fact a Ferrari. The top speed might have been comparable given the highly treacherous road conditions but the braking system certainly wasn't. We eventually were deposited alive at our hotel despite a valiant attempt to slide backwards down a steep slope towards a river.

Nevertheless I have driven this previously and if the weather isn't too bad it's quite a reasonable trip. Just make sure you have chains and if a diesel get the fuel additive as soon as you can and add it as it may not have winter diesel in it when you pick it up
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are not helping Smile

I see a lot of rentals are now including chains which is an improvement over the ridiculous charge levied by some Italian hire companies.

How long does it take on a good day. Is it like say, driving to Mayrhofen (flat, no hairpins) or Tignes (the opposite)?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ghost Dog, The road was fine the few times I have done it. I wouldn't really describe the road up to Tignes as tricky though.

Main problem is likely to be other road users. If you drive at the speed limit in a village an Italian in a little Fiat will overtake then hold you up for the rest of the journey. I think they must get extra points for overtaking at a pedestrian crossing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used the transfer service when we went on Gnarbug last season. Our flights were heavily delayed but they waited for us and gave us a door to door transfer. Despite waiting for a flight that landed 20 minutes after our, we still arrived 10 minutes ahead of the folks on our flight who'd rented a car
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ideally you want Turin rather than Milan as it's a lot closer.
most of the journey is flat motorway/toll road. The drive up the valley to Gressoney isn't too bad. Starts steep but eases a bit. Narrow in a couple of villages and a couple of short hairpin sections but you are following the valley up rather than climbing the mountain so not big drops off the edge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Turin about 30 mins closer, no? not a big deal surely...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's a late flight I reckon it's worth staying at a cheap hotel at the airport and then driving in daylight. Much less stressful.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You do need chains for the odd occasion. Last time i came back (in transfer taxi) we met a Porsche trying to get uphill in a snowstorm but he was just sliding backwards.
I have done it by train and bus , which was fine,and quite adventurous for me, but normally take a transfer company from Turin.
Not really first-hand help to the o/p but I like the Aosta valley and it's nice to recall it.
I might have been on the uphill side of that avalanche mentioned by dsoutar, it was powder from way up the hill and a big cloud of it blew right across the road. They had stopped us so I guess it had been blown for safety purposes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No direct flights to Turin from Edinburgh. Malpensa flights out Sat back Sunday are quite good times and (last time I looked for half term, cheap).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ghost Dog, All the times I have skied in Gressoney have been half term. Was really quiet mid week, fairly busy at the weekends.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I lied, there are direct flights with Jet2 but they are not too cheap.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy