Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 pairs of skis in luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Many people talk about having a "quiver" of skis, but how many actually fly out with 2 pairs. How do you manage it with weight limits?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Douche bag will take 2 pairs; boots and skins in carry on luggage. Wear your heaviest gear. Stuff all
ski clothes around your skis😀
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done ti with two pairs of atomic in a ski bag. Had to demount one of the pairs of railmount bindingd and chuck them in the base of the bag. The weight was still under ryanairs limit for wintersports equipment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On European holidays I regularly fly with 3 pairs of skis/bindings and a set of poles, in a large high quality purposed designed 3 ski roller bag I hit the 23Kg limit exactly Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I frequently fly with two pairs, not for quiver purposes but to cut costs so one is mine and one is someone else's in the party
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time we flew we had 3 pairs in a double ski bag where I declared have two skis in there (was seats on charter flights). Previously we had two pairs in same double ski bag as flying BA where your ski bag can be one of your normal checked in bags (we had 4 bags we could check in as family of 4). Next time we fly (BA again) we will be having 4 sets skis and poles in same bag (two are children’s) and I have had to get extra bands to hold the brakes to get them all to fit cleanly and should just comes in under the 23kg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5 pairs in a decathlon wheely bag and comfortably under the 32kg BA limit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Certinaĺy possible i remove bindings (quiver killers) to allow skis to pack better usually fly with 2 pairs but have travelled with 3 pairs on BA. I also max out my cabin luggage, Surprising what you can get into the pull along on a BA/easy jet flight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've carried three snowboards multiple times, although usually I stick to two these days (the technology has changed..). A standard Dakine bag will take them no problem. You want to carry your boots in your hang baggage anyway. I suppose I only take one pair of bindings. I'd stick to 23Kgs not 32Kgs as not everyone's going to handle 32Kgs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our luggage got delayed (by several weeks) on a flight back from Lyons last year. When I started to look at claiming on the insurance it quickly became evident that I might have a problem because we were not compliant with the airline baggage policy (only 1 set of ski’s per bag) and also because there’s a per bag item limit. I also can’t help but think if the plane is near the weight limit its an easy decision to leave the big bulky bag behind.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We carry 2 pairs + poles out in one bag along with some other gear, and a pair of boots in boot bag come in at just under the 23kg limit Madeye-Smiley

Coming back can be a different matter though wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2, PFFTTT I carry 3 pairs sometimes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I can get my Head ISL, Titans, Kastle FX95HPs, 2 sets of poles and my servicing kit (iron, wax etc) in a double sport tube and it'll come to 18KG

Who needs a 1 ski quivers Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All our stuff travels on wheeled or over the shoulder snowboard bags, whether skis (155-166) or boards (147-168). Easily get 2 sets skis + 1 large board in. Usually take 1+1 per bag if flying. Under 15kg just for 2 sets & nothing else in light bag and bubble wrap, or under 23 kg in wheelie bag with other bits in there too. All other stuff, including ski and boarding boots, just gets in 20kg hold luggage each + 2 small cabin rucksacks ( and I don't travel light!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of bindings and a fair bit of other stuff jammed in a smallish rolling ski bag 23kg!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PaulC1984, I was thinking the same!

3 pairs in a double bag plus shovel, probe, skins etc. Just make sure one set of bindings is removable so they can be shoved down one end and the bag will close. Need a second bag for boots and clothes, though.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Exactamundo Happy
snow report
https://www.swiss.com/ireland/en/swiss-the-skiers-airline.html Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Easily done: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/quiver-killer-inserts.html
snow conditions
Ski everywhere on the same skis - problem sorted.
snow report
waitrose wrote:

What all four of us Toofy Grin ?
snow report
ski holidays
waitrose wrote:

Wheres the fun in that Happy
ski holidays
I take three pairs in a single ski bag.

All hail the mighty quiver killer.
snow report
Quote:

waitrose wrote:

What all four of us ?

It might be easier to split it down to people per pair -
http://youtube.com/v/mAvnc8P8TTo .
Though you might be able to get 4 sets of bindings on some of the old 2m40 ish downhill skis
latest report
All very interesting, thanks folks. I put my boots into the ski bag too. Weight-wise I could still get in a second pair but I'd need a different bag, unless I put the boots in my suitcase (but then I would need a larger suitcase, what with the shovel and rope etc. They can't go in my backpack since I have back problems and always travel with a roll of memory foam in there.
However @Sailskibum brought up the problem that came to my mind: many airlines say only one set of skis per person. Has nobody had it questioned at the airport?
The reason I brought it up was I was considering pin bindings with the appropriate boots, so I'm less exhausted after skinning. But I want to take my other skis in case I don't like the way such radically lighter kit skis.
@viv, I wouldn't want to try those on anything steeper!
ski holidays
@viv, - snowHead
latest report
@snowball, "...and one ski bag..." is all I've ever said. Don't remember ever being asked, but the answer to the question "What's in the bag?" is clearly "skis". wink
snow report
@snowball, check in staff don't normally ask how many pairs of skis you've packed. They only check the weight and number of bags.

But, as already highlighted by @Sailskibum, if you need to claim for baggage delay/loss on your insurance and the airline baggage policy allows only one pair of skis, you may have issues. I know earlier this year another snowHead had the same issue with their insurer refusing to pay out and there was a thread on this but I can't find it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe that if you have paid for 1 set of skis (e.g. Crystal is £x for 15kg but only 1 set - used to do £x*1.5 for 2 sets in 1 bag, but not seen that this year), then if your ski bag is delayed they will only compensate you for 1 set in terms of paying for rental until your bag turns up. You can pay £2x for 2 sets and take 2 bags or 1 double bag up to the airline's weight limit (23kg for Thomson). Or that used to be the case: they change their rules every year it seems.
Then again, they say you can't put ski boots or clothes in the bag, only skis (at 15kg per set, obviously), so you won't get 'compensated' if they don't arrive either, will you?
As far as I am aware - could be wrong - if the worst happens and your skis go walkies permanently, your travel insurance should cover (well, pay out a minute amount of their true or replacement value - but that's another whinge!). However someone above has questioned this, so...?
ski holidays
@snowball,
I don't know what airline you use but some regard ski equipment as being boots and skis so you can take one ski bag (with two sets of skis) and a boot bag as well.
snow conditions
I use avios to get BA club class returns to Innsbruck (only uses 1.5x economy avios). This gives checked luggage as 2 bags (max. 32kg / 70lb per bag). Boots go as my cabin bag.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy