Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots for teenage girl with narrow feet and high instep

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 14 year old daughter needs new boots, and has quite difficult feet - very narrow, with high insteps. She's 160 cm tall, about 50 kg and quite athletic (swims 4x week, to a reasonably high standard). I'd say she's the upper end of intermediate as a skier, can ski anything on piste in control but less experienced off piste, in heavy chop etc. She skis 2 weeks a year, plus the odd day here and there on local hills.

The obvious answer is go to a good bootfitter, and we will as soon as she stops growing. However, I suspect she's still got a year or two of growth left and so I'm still hoping to get by with 2nd hand boots for now. Trying multiple different brands/models second hand is tricky so I'm trying to narrow downtrend options to boots of roughly the right shape. Probably looking at junior race boots, or soft women's boots. Can anyone recommend anything that fits the criteria? Instep height is the most critical factor, based on trials so far.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can see why you don't want to do a full-expense buying of new individually fitted boots at this stage. But isn't the best alternative to rent from a shop with a big range, so she can swap if there's a problem?

From what I've seen of young racers in their boots I'd not go down that road. They get into them at the very last minute and out of them at the first opportunity!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raichle / Kneissl / FullTilt Flexons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raichle_Flexon

Often appear on eBay.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you've got problem feet to deal with, a boot fitter really is the answer. At 14 I'd probably stay with a junior boot.

This is more or less the boot my son used until he was 18. has a narrow last, and mid flex, so probably is a good starting point.
https://www.udenssport.se/product.html/rossignol-hero-world-cup-si-70-sc?category_id=37
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, if it was just for a week's holiday in the Alps, renting would be a good option. However, we ski in Scandinavia as well, and the hire shops I've seen in resorts here tend to just have 1 brand/model so if it doesn't fit, we're stuck. Hiring also doesn't work so well for a couple of hours at the local hill, it rapidly gets expensive.

@Bob, yep, one we will be looking at but ideally I don't want to spend that much!

@altis, I'm wondering about cabrio boots (her current ones are - but they're the Roxa adjustable ones and she's out-skiing them now). Are they fundamentally more generous over the instep?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The fit, comfort are important. There is a risk to enjoyment, fun, etc if boots don't fit properly, or prove uncomfortable.

'bite the bullet', time to buy.. It will aleviate the worry and stress..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mgrolf, I used to park a block of wood in the throat of my right boot to give a bit more instep room. A permanent fix would be easy for a bootfitter as they're so accessible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good boots + good footbeds = good skier.

Buy good boots.

Get a custom-footbed made (e.g. Sidas).

Costs less than many expect.

Folk with bad feet really need good boots and beds.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy