Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Places which have plenty to do for a non-skiing girlfriend :)

Poster: A snowHead
I found this reasonable video from Saalbach, starting at Zwölferkogel and going down #11

http://youtube.com/v/Qa0yjs7EiDc

It is a blue but I'd say right at the top end of blue Smile

It does otherwise tick the other boxes i.e. you can get onto the ski lift right out of the town, Hinterglemm.

Basically, from Saalbach, you have one long blue, #46, and from Hinterglemm you have one long blue, #11.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Well found; many thanks, tatmanstours.

@peter_h, Not really - I filmed two of them wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Basically, from Saalbach, you have one long blue, #46

No, there are others, at least as good and long, if not more so: have a look at numbers 66/52 (essentially one continuous piste from top to bottom - 51 provides an alternative to 52), 68 (many people's favourite), 61 (graded as a red but easier than many blues), 2a/2b (7km long), 88/90 and 92/93 (sublime runs over at Leogang, which you can get to easily in under an hour's skiing from Saalbach. 88 was once described by a journalist in the Telegraph as "one of the best easy/intermediate pistes in Europe"), 28/22a (a long, continuous blue from the top to the bottom).
Bear in mind that you can circumnavigate the whole valley anti-clockwise entirely on blue runs - it takes around 3 hours. I haven't even mentioned Fieberbrunn, which has some beautiful blue runs, and also some nice reds that are easier than some blues - F8 and F1c are two that spring to mind.
Number 11, which is shown in the video you have posted, is one that would no doubt interest you, but the video starts from the mid station - the top half is probably nicer and easier, and there are also some very nice alternatives from the mid-station - 12, 12a and 13a. 13a is the bottom half of the World Cup run and is lovely and quiet, as it seems to get overlooked by those who follow the beaten track of number 11.
If you're interested in Saalbach (as you seem to be), PM me your email address and I'll send you my comprehensive guide to the resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've sent you a message via what appears as your website; can't find a PM facility here. Many thanks.

I've been looking at this in detail on google maps and the "town" appears to be a long way from those slopes unfortunately. #11 is walkable from Hinterglemm so we will look into what's in the town there.

Curiously Salbach is halfway between St Johann and Zell am See - both popular destinations with little airports for southern Germans to fly-in for a day 's skiing (albeit all of them are hard core skiers).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-11-18 19:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@peter_h, to PM somebody, click on the plus next to their name on a post, and then Select PM button that appears when you click on the plus.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, You've taught me something there - I've always just gone to "Send/Read Messages".

@peter_h,
Quote:

I've been looking at this in detail on google maps and the "town" appears to be a long way from those slopes unfortunately. #11 is walkable from Hinterglemm so we will look into what's in the town there.

Not sure what you really mean there. All the pistes I mentioned (and there are others) are easily and quickly accessed from the village. For example, to get onto the 7km blue piste 2a/2b you just go up the Schattberg Xpress gondola from the village centre - and it's right in front of you.
To get onto pistes 66/52/51, 61, 68, and the really delightful long blues at Leogang, you either go up the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn and work your way across in an easterly direction on the network of pistes and chair lifts (I've done it all the way to Leogang in less than 40 minutes, and I wasn't skiing particularly fast), or you hop on the free ski bus at the Schattberg Xpress and head down to the Schoenleitenbahn gondola, which takes you up to the easternmost point on the south-facing ridge and cuts out a couple of chairs and pistes.
That summit, to which the Schoenleitenbahn gondola takes you, is called the Wildenkarkogel, and it's downhill from there all the way to Saalbach village (on blue pistes 66 and 52 or 51), and with no more lifts required, so it's always a delightful, long run down at the end of the day, with possible pit stops at places like the Bergeralm, the Maisalm and the Hinterhag Alm. The Asteralm is also on the way, and, as it's at the mid-station of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn gondola, it's an ideal meeting place for you and your wife.
Incidentally there are two, nice, sunny restaurants at the mid-station of the Schoenleitenbahn gondola, and another one at the top - again ideal meeting places for you to rendezvous with your wife.
Piste 61 also starts from the Wildenkarkogel and takes you all the way to the bottom of the Schoenleitenbahn, from where you can go back up, and either head back to Saalbach down 66/52/51, or make your way further north-easterly towards Leogang.
All this should be apparent from the downloadable piste map on the resort website.
If I was taking you to the nicest blue runs in the entire 270km area, and it was an entirely free choice, I would take you first to the sublime piste 68 (7km of bliss, and often you have it all to yourself, as it gets overlooked by the hoi polloi). Read about it here: http://welove2ski.com/ski-runs-austria-unknown It's also featured in one of the above videos that I directed you to. The restaurant halfway down is one of the best in the area too.
After that I'd take you to either 88/90 or 92/93 at Leogang - hard to choose between them, as they're both superb, long, runs that sweep down through the forest. 92/93 is probably my second favourite after 68. Some of the best restaurants over there too - all three located at the top of the two gondolas coming up from Leogang. As long as you leave Leogang by around 3.30pm you should get to the Schoenleitenbahn mid-station by 4.00pm - then up again to the Wildenkarkogel, and downhill all the way to Saalbach (although from what you say, you would probably be at Leogang by mid-morning and back in Saalbach by early to mid afternoon).
I hope that this has given you some insight into how easy it all is.
Incidentally the ski bus system is very efficient. The buses run on a constant loop, and you never have more than a few minutes to wait - at the worst 20 mins. They provide a very quick and easy way of travelling between the Schoenleitenbahn at one end of the valley, the Schattberg Xpress in the middle, and the Zwoelferkogelbahn, Zwoelfer Nordbahn, and Hochalm gondolas at the far side of Hinterglemm village.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have got it down to two: Hinterglemm, and Cervinia. I am happy to do either one to ski (each one seems to have at least one suitable run which is easily walkable from the town, so I can get there when it opens) and my GF just needs to check there is enough for her to do.

These trips are weekend to weekend (due to availability of shuttle buses only at weekends, generally) and we normally have a day off in the middle and do a trip somewhere. Cervinia is near Zermatt (so Zermatt should be on an easy bus ride for her) but we can do that cable car trip to the top. It's a bit like the train to the top of Jungfrau; hugely scenic, but at some 13k feet it will be a bit harder (I walked up Mt Kinabalu, 16k feet, but that was in 2002!). The best ever skiing I've had (over 10 trips) was Madonna but there was literally nothing to do and nowhere to go in the area. I will probably do Madonna as a 3rd trip this winter but will fly myself to Bolzano (€250 taxi each way but OK if shared with 2 or 3, or car hire).

TB20 flight Shoreham EGKA to Bolzano LIPB and back from Peter2000
https://vimeo.com/238443928

Thank you all for all the tips. I will report back in due course Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peter_h wrote:
... Cervinia is near Zermatt (so Zermatt should be on an easy bus ride for her)

Zermatt is the other side of the mountain. It isn't possible for pedestrians to go between the two resorts and you're talking of a 500km round trip by road!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are looking at saalbach - hinterglemm, I'd say stay in saalbach - more to do, better and more blues available of the type you like. Hinterglemm is nice, but saalbach more convenient for everything.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt is definitely well above my level for skiing.

The Hinterglemm choice was done after watching a ton of ski videos Smile These things are always difficult. I have learnt that since most skiers are very good, I have to make my own assessment of what I am ok with. I will look at this again though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As @Ray Zorro, says, Zermatt is oh-so-close skiing but very significantly different via road with no direct link at all. They sit literally either side of the mountain ridge that divide the two countries.

http://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/impianti-e-piste-breuil-cervinia

The above link should have a picture of the more typical terrain you'd find in Cervinia. This is the main mid point, elevation wise, of the ski area. It's the main hub for many ski activities apart from nursery slopes in town. Plus a very easy lift up and gentle piste back to town. You can literally ski right into the town on return.
It's where I went to learn snowboarding with nil experience and a genuinely superb mix for your request I feel.

I'd certainly only comment on location's I've used, so it is direct experience offered.

I've no experience of Austria so will leave that to the very good knowledge of @tatmanstours, in covering that area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other thing I looked at is whether the sun, which is really low in the winter, shines directly into your eyes when skiing. That appears to be the main difference of Saalbach v. Hinterglemm. Compare the ski videos of the blue runs - it's obvious. My GF can just pop over to Saalbach anytime, which is what matters.

I looked at the Zermatt travel and on skis you can do it, apparently, but she could not come with me.

Cervinia does look great and we will do it first.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As has been pointed out above, a non skier can't stay in Cervinia and meet up over in Zermatt. As I said previously, I also think for a non skier Cervinia is much more limited than Zermatt, though the skiing is very much what you describe. Out of interest, what makes you think Zermatt skiing is beyond you? Have you been able to find videos of the skiing at Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn. The latter especially are miles wide and very cruisey, and the trickier runs in Zermatt are mostly lower and include the runs back to the village which you can avoid by downloading if you wish. I suspect that getting a resort that meets both your needs perfectly is going to be tricky but for sure your partner would find a lot to keep her happy in Zermatt and I think you could be kept busy too. Otherwise some of the suggestions in Austria might come closest to fitting the bill.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peter_h wrote:
Zermatt is definitely well above my level for skiing.

The Hinterglemm choice was done after watching a ton of ski videos Smile These things are always difficult. I have learnt that since most skiers are very good, I have to make my own assessment of what I am ok with. I will look at this again though.

I think I can put your mind at rest about the 'good skiers' bit - you have been skiing twice as often as me, and sound like a very similar type of skier. Nice and steady down lovely wide blues, preferably empty, and a nice wide red if it's not too steep and not too much effort. snowHead

We stayed in Hinterglemm ourselves and it's on that basis that I recommend Saalbach both for runs, and for your wife. In my experience of your type of skiing, I reckon you'd love to get first lift out of Saalbach, up towards the Wildenkarkogel (as Tatman says, it's not too much effort and actually better earlier in the day if there's been snow and people), and have the Leogang runs and piste 68 if open to yourself. 92/93 tops my favourite pistes there, no people, no surprises, long and beautiful. Piste 68 is also ridiculously gorgeous. The runs down to Saalbach from that side are also proper wide runs and you can always find some space. It's very easy also to go across the other way to the Hinterglemm runs and the Speileckogel area which was pretty quiet. Plus, for a red that is pretty good and wide and usually has nice snow, 5/6/6a on the Schattberg is easily accessible, and again a good way over to Hinterglemm.

A salutary tale - we picked our hotel over the Zwolferkogel side of Hinterglemm because of run 11/11a (yup, you tube videos...). It's a nice run, and great if you get it early with fresh snow, but I never learned to like the bit at the bottom going back to the Zwolferkogelbahn, and also it can get rather busy. By the end of the week we actively chose to come down red run 12 to avoid the bit at the bottom of 11a/12a. We spent rather too much time on buses going over the the Saalbach runs (which again as Tatman says is dead easy, but takes up valuable skiing time!!)

I reckoned also that Saalbach has better access to better restaurants - also by cable car, so your wife can join you if she feels like it. Plus, I did see people getting a taxi round to Hecherhutte for apres, if you and your wife hit that place at the end of your skiing day for a late lunch, some boozy tea and a bit of fun apres, you'll be golden. And it will mean you've had the joy of 68. Sigh. Smile Saalbach has random stuff going on in the evening as well - we went over for a show where people were doing big jumps and there was music, it was a good atmosphere. Hinterglemm is a lot quieter. From the wellness point of view, all the hotels seemed to have good wellness facilities (naked, don't forget).

Obviously you'll make your own choice from your own research (half the fun!), but I thought it was worth explaining that my recommendations come from the POV of probably a much worse skier than you!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I looked up the videos of 68 and 92/93. Very scenic indeed Smile Looks like you have to get a bus from the bottom of 68?
snow report
Yes - it's a quick ride back though, and worth it for the run. Smile

We did it at the end of one day (having spent the rest of the time lapping Leogang) and stopped for the apres at Hecherhutte before skiing down for the bus home (I wouldn't like to do so after TOO much apres, but after a couple of gluwiens it was fine). It's a good way to warm the cockles.
ski holidays
Just a thought Peter - now you know I'm a crap skier and you'll do far better anywhere than me (your shadow can ski better than me according to your videos Laughing ) - some people up this thread have suggested Kitzbuhel. It's worth a look, and again, long blue valley runs and lots of fun to be had there, or on the Skiwelt to which you can get the train (Brixen). I thought I'd die a death in Kitzbuhel and it'd be too hard, but it wasn't. Learning experience - piste maps do not help sometimes, for instance there's a green run in Trysil which is long and should be great, instead it is an icy, busy horror. For width and being able to find quiet runs (and don't be scared of red on the map, some are nicer than the blues, some are steeper, take heed of the local knowledge), Kitz and Saalbach are great!

Proper town so good for the non-skier I would think.

Note I've only skied here, not stayed here (stayed in Westendorf which was fab, but not for a non-skier).
snow report
Yes indeed I have found ski maps are ok only for working out the access and what sort of pistes are where. They are not north-up (have to use google maps for that) and show nothing about the actual difficulty.

For example at Wengen there were just two runs I could do, both really narrow (2-3m in places) and with flat bits which needed a lot of walking. I did eventually get a load of good skiing done, down a deserted slope with a button lift, so it was a great way to practice.

I will check out Kitzbuhel. On the face of it I see only the 36/20 blue run and this shows it to be almost wholly really narrow

http://youtube.com/v/6cNSaD86zKc

As regards ski videos, anybody can look ok if they hold the camera low down... waist level usually does it Wink Also I take more care with producing the videos than a lot of people. The teletubby mounts nearly always produce awful footage... and historically most go-pro videos are totally unstabilised.
ski holidays
I would never dare film myself, I'm far too awful, no matter how much stabilisation. Laughing

So, Kitz runs - I wrote a report of my trip to Westendorf which you might find of interest, and some discusses Kitzbuhel http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3216348&highlight=westendorf#3216348

We came over from the Kirchberg side, having skied down Ki West (120) from Westendorf (which is a great example of how piste maps don't help - there is hardly a steep section on that run, it's deserted, and we very much enjoyed it). The blues down to the Kirchberg valley, so 25 and 26, are great (though again, it's worth taking the red 25a, as it's wider and not very much steeper at all, take it from me, I'm the type who gets stuck on lemming ledge if the gradient changes too much). 30 and 31 (down to Skirast) also lovely. Then up on top you have a whole network of blues and easy reds to mess about on.

What you don't have in Kitz is an obvious wide blue to get home on. However, you do have a gondola from the top, and also the red down is apparently (according to our ski instructor who had a very, erm, particular view of our abilities Embarassed ) absolutely fine if you're not doing it at the end of the day. You don't have to do the steep world cup bits. Shocked

I think you might be doing yourself (and potentially your girlfriend!) a disservice if you only base your choice on a super wide/easy home run. You can always download if you have tired legs, the top runs will almost always have better snow, and allowing yourself to travel around the resort to find your quiet and favoured pistes is worth it. You might also find that for some reason, that home run which looked amazing on a video happens to be icy or bumpy the week you are there (been there, done that). Better to have a variety of possible runs all over.

I think you said you're getting lessons as well? You'll be fine pretty much anywhere then - you'll get the local gen on what's the best - and you will also probably be shown the reds that are easier (ski instructors I think like them as they tend to be quieter, as fearful people look at the piste map and avoid them), which then you may find are the best runs of your holiday. And your girlfriend can then sample the likes of Zermatt and Kitzbuhel. snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

I think you might be doing yourself (and potentially your girlfriend!) a disservice if you only base your choice on a super wide/easy home run. You can always download

This!
snow report
The home run is not relevant... often they are really weird e.g. a 45 degree portion on a "blue" run in Madonna, back to the hotel Smile

What I think is important is to be able to hit the slope *when it opens* because that is the best time to ski. So if you have say a 30 min bus ride, and the buses start running only when the slopes open, you won't make it. The next important thing is to be able to get back up to the top quickly.
snow report
Ah, that makes more sense then (though doesn't explain why you only found one run you could do in Kitz) - so Saalbach near the Kolmaisbahn would be good (just to note, you can get to the mid station of the Kolmaisbahn then pop down to the Panoramabahn if you don't fancy the little bit of (ok) red at the top station); anywhere near the Hakenhahmbahn in Kitz (or maybe even somewhere over the Kirchberg side if there is a gorgeous spa hotel, as it's easy to bus over to Kitz for your girlfriend). I'm with you, not keen on getting a morning bus, we like to be straight out and up in the morning and tend to stay no more than a 5 minute walk from a good lift. If you can get up to the tops easily, the snowy world is your oyster, and your video watching should be aimed at runs away from the main runs down. Smile

I can say that the lift systems in both the above resorts are super modern and quick, minimal lift time for max skiing!

I don't know if they do it in these places, but some resorts have a 'breakfast on the mountain' type set up where you book to get early lifts and breakfast, on freshly groomed and empty slopes. Worth a look if you like to be out early! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

The home run is not relevant... often they are really weird e.g. a 45 degree portion on a "blue" run in Madonna, back to the hotel Smile

This must therfore rate as the steepest piste in the world; a 1 in 1 slope. Most very steep black pistes are less than 30 degrees. The Idwal slabs rock climbs in North Wales are less steep than that (about 40 degrees)
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

This must therfore rate as the steepest piste in the world; a 1 in 1 slope. Most very steep black pistes are less than 30 degrees. The Idwal slabs rock climbs in North Wales are less steep than that (about 40 degrees)

The one in Tyrsil (75?) claims 45 degrees. Shortish, but interesting to watch people come down it. Very Happy
ski holidays
@peter_h, Saalbach would be a great choice especially if your girlfriend can dance with poles? This will give her plenty to do while you ski . . . . .

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hahaha Smile I better not encourage her, since neither of us seems to have managed a proper mid life crisis yet Smile

On one forum, someone reported this about Saalbach

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/3411-skiing-in-austria-merged-threads/post/55135#55135

I am not sure how much weight to attach to that... but I know the guy personally.

Regarding 1:1 slopes, one very adventurous ex friend (ex, because he died on his last adventure, flying too low in the Alps) showed me a certificate he got having gone down a "75%" slope. To me that means a lot steeper than 45%. Depending on which way you play the arctan() this sounds like 4:1, but online it suggests this is just 45 degrees. That short section was very steep; just barely possible to walk down it in the boots. I did manage to get down it once on the skis, keeping one ski across the slope (not sure what that is called but it isn't snow plough, which is no good for anything steep) but never tried it again.
snow report
peter_h wrote:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/3411-skiing-in-austria-merged-threads/post/55135#55135

I am not sure how much weight to attach to that... but I know the guy personally.

Hmm, depends what you mean by refined! Laughing It's a ski resort - being Austrian it's pretty (my experience/opinion only), there are probably minimal shops (I didn't go looking, not really my thing as a female who has other interests), but plenty of lovely hotels with spas, good walking trails, good place to relax. There are certainly strip clubs, we went to Why Not, it was a bit empty and weird. There is lairy apres, and there is more chilled apres in smarter bars or more cosy places.

Horses for courses I reckon. I don't want designer shops, but I can spend four hours easily in a spa/pool with a good sauna and hot tubs. Would rather read or go for a walk. Your girlfriend may prefer a bit more razzmatazz - in which case go for Zermatt or Kitz. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
peter_h wrote:

Regarding 1:1 slopes, one very adventurous ex friend (ex, because he died on his last adventure, flying too low in the Alps) showed me a certificate he got having gone down a "75%" slope. To me that means a lot steeper than 45%. Depending on which way you play the arctan() this sounds like 4:1, but online it suggests this is just 45 degrees. That short section was very steep; just barely possible to walk down it in the boots. I did manage to get down it once on the skis, keeping one ski across the slope (not sure what that is called but it isn't snow plough, which is no good for anything steep) but never tried it again.

45% is about 24 degrees.

Harakiri in Mayrhofen is 78% which is about 38 degrees, and probably the steepest thing I've tried to ski! Still nowhere near 45.. I think bits of the Grand Coulour in Courchevel might be 45 degrees.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peter_h, 75% is 1 in 1.33 (or 3 in 4) and 37 degrees - very very steep. I think there is a slope in Mayrehofen that claims that at 38 degees it is the steepest pisted slope in the world.

However, the steepest piste I ever shied was one called lifties leap in Whistler. Basically it was a 2 m nearly vertical drop onto the piste that had been given it own sign and piste designation as a laugh I assume.

BTW what does your girlfriend want to do?
snow report
She likes yoga, reading, writing, chilling, swimming, hanging out with me in coffee bars, not getting too cold (she's not well padded if you get what I mean Smile ) and basically doesn't want to get stuck in the hotel room.

There are posh hotels in most places which have facilities but it's not good to be stuck in the same hotel either. Even if you want to write on a laptop it is nice to sit down somewhere where there are people and you can get a drink etc.

That 75% slope was in the Alps for sure but I don't know where. Slope angles must be deceiving because I am sure I have seen 45 degrees in various places. Most of them are quite short and with a flat bit at the bottom.

Whistler is a popular place but we don't want to do long-haul. Been there, done that, when we were "young" whoops I meant "younger". My son used to go there, biking, and after his last trip the surgery, back home, came to almost 5 figures Smile

Back to slopes, I see this nice run at Zermatt

http://youtube.com/v/J_raX03Wr3c

which is #14 between Rothorn and Kumme. So evidently even Zermatt has got something... I looked for the blue run down from Gornergrat which is the other blue bit but it doesn't look too great.

There is no doubt Zermatt would tick the boxes for my GF... at a price Smile I had a quick look at hotels last winter and most of them were £3000+ for a week.
snow report
peter_h wrote:
The other thing I looked at is whether the sun, which is really low in the winter, shines directly into your eyes when skiing. That appears to be the main difference of Saalbach v. Hinterglemm.

But isn't that where sunglasses come in? Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

She likes yoga, reading, writing, chilling, swimming, hanging out with me in coffee bars, not getting too cold (she's not well padded if you get what I mean Smile ) and basically doesn't want to get stuck in the hotel room.

Do you think she would rather stay at home?
snow report
@peter_h, when we went I recall there being a significant number of easy runs of the sunnegga side.

If you are planning on going over to Cervinia skiing be warned the lifts can often be shut by winds preventing you crossing over.

When we went we went with Crystal on a cheap last minute deal. Though don’t think operate that place anymore (and it wasn’t somewhere I would recommend for a non skier)
snow report
"Do you think she would rather stay at home?"

No, we enjoy our afternoons together Smile

"But isn't that where sunglasses come in?"

I don't know if anyone else finds this, but skiing is a lot easier if one can see the snow texture. I have been in snowing conditions with a forward visibility of about 20-30m and at times one could not easily tell if one was moving or standing still. It was really spooky, and I thought dangerous. I have also found that in some overcast/murky conditions I could not see where the slope was lying. I do pass Class 1 aviation medicals, BTW Smile

"If you are planning on going over to Cervinia skiing be warned the lifts can often be shut by winds preventing you crossing over"

Do you mean getting over to Zermatt? I looked at the piste map there and there are no gondolas all the way over. Only chair lifts i.e. only skiers can do it. I wouldn't do it on my own.

"When we went we went with Crystal on a cheap last minute deal."

I looked at various packages last year and found that every one of them could be bettered by booking the bits separately. The only real exception was with Wengen, which can be reached only via several trains (from Geneva, I think it was) but one holiday firm was doing a bus all the way there, available only if you took a charter flight with them. Really odd!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 5-11-18 17:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hotel+le+totem+flaine+france&client=tablet-android-sonymobile&espv=1&prmd=minv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVkr6N0b3eAhWKX8AKHdgfB9IQ_AUIEygC&biw=1280&bih=752

Above is a good view of the "Hotel Le Totem " in Flaine. It's major advantage for you the skier is that it sits "in" the snow not "on" the snow. You really can ski from the boot room entrance, both in and out with the main gondola lift 100mtrs away from there. This is one hit straight to the top, Les Grand Platierre, from which piste "serpentine" is a blue as wide as 50mtrs at it's narrowest.

In addition, Aup de Veran, gondola about 300 mtrs away takes you to the "Mephisto " piste, a blue again back to village. Not as long and wide as above but easily fits criteria.

Le Totem is on ones side of Flaine Forum around which sits the cafés etc but you can ski right to the tables of most of them. It's pretty well unmatched in that respect I feel.

There's pedestrian access to the top via gondola, as well as a number of really good restaurant out on the snow via short walk which would allow meet up too.

Will it match a big town for non skier, no of course not. Are there a number of things to do around the village along with quite vibrant atmosphere during the day, yes.
ski holidays
Apologies for the Telegraph link, but a couple of the resorts mentioned by people earlier are mentioned in this article:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/the-rise-of-non-skiers-in-ski-resorts/

I'll balance it up with a Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/activities/wintersports/links/0,,1924542,00.html

The latter mentions La Plagne which would probably be ideal for you in skiing terms (loved The Tunnel on my second full skiing week when I was even more steady eddie than I am now), but I would have thought boring as hell (at the higher villages) for your girlfriend. I don't know what the lower areas are like though, probably older and more interesting, and the link into the town at the valley bottom could provide some extra options to explore?
latest report
Telegraph is the new Daily Mail, apparently, so no need to be ashamed Smile Smile

I am not surprised Zermatt is rated #1 for non-skiers. If I could find more than that one blue run I would go there...
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@peter_h, when we went I recall there being a significant number of easy runs of the sunnegga side.

If you are planning on going over to Cervinia skiing be warned the lifts can often be shut by winds preventing you crossing over.

When we went we went with Crystal on a cheap last minute deal. Though don’t think operate that place anymore (and it wasn’t somewhere I would recommend for a non skier)

Sorry I left out when we went to Zermatt. I could have sworn I put that in there!
ski holidays
Quote:

peter_h
user
Hahaha I better not encourage her, since neither of us seems to have managed a proper mid life crisis yet

It is how I would describe too. A fair reflection of what we experienced, lots of skiers and boarders trying to remember where their accommodation is, late at night in full skiing attire and ski's over the shoulder staggering around the resort.
ski holidays
peter_h wrote:

I am not surprised Zermatt is rated #1 for non-skiers. If I could find more than that one blue run I would go there...

I think you are doing yourself a disservice, with the amount of skiing you have under your belt.

A friend of mine went to Zermatt for his second week's skiing (after being rather hopeless in his first week.. rolling eyes ) and really enjoyed himself. He improved a lot while he was there. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy