Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old Dog New Tricks - Getting upside down

Poster: A snowHead
I'm 40 now. I'd love to learn to flip. Apart from while stacking; is this a realistic proposition? Happy to put the work in. Anyone else felt the need a little later in life?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, if my mind starts to wander, although at 56 I feel it's pretty unlikely now. I watch our twin boys do it most days from standing & they make it look so easy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its all in the hips

Any local trampoline class? one where they strap you in?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-11-18 9:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just don't do a Scarlet...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139757
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@motdoc, I'm a bit younger than you, but still old enough to know better. As @adithorp has suggested, the desire has now dispersed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely all in the hips, and jumping UP, not backwards... I was a trampoline coach once upon a time, and occasionally we used to put blades on and do back somersaults in the rig. NEVER been tempted to even try it on snow though, it's bad enough just watching my son doing them!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr.Egg wrote:
its all in the hips

Definitely this - remembering from gymnastics and trampolining in my teens.

I've done a few onto airbags over the years, but never plucked up the courage without. I'm forty seven now, and it's feeling unlikely that I ever will.

Mind you, I've recently had a couple of big crashes on the dry slope in slalom gates and not done any serious damage, so crashing seems less scary than it has for a while.

Perhaps you could keep us informed of your progress?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@motdoc,

no but I did get seduced by the idea of nailing a 360 at about your age. Couple of narrow escapes with injury and I filed it under "too old for that nonsense". Flips? no thanks.

Was on a heliskiing trip when the brilliant austrian skier (one of the clients, about 35) landed this huge backflip in a full crucifix position off a natural kicker. Was extremely cool but spinal injuries are not.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm toying with the idea at 30... I can do it into water from a standing position etc (i.e. by a pool) but it seems a lot more intimidating when skiing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

seems

seems? seems?!?!

one is much more likely to put you in hospital - it's not just a question of seeming! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen people who can flip for fun off the smallest lip but they are usually exclusively under the age of 30. Risk/reward from being inverted without a lot of gymnastic type experience past that age seems pretty skewed.

Airbag maybe.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This dudes channel is all about him learning new things quickly. It's quite a fun watch.

Heres the back flip episode:
http://youtube.com/v/2MUocYTCMOs

Foam blocks are your friend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
Quote:

seems

seems? seems?!?!

one is much more likely to put you in hospital - it's not just a question of seeming! Very Happy

Well you say that..... okay yeah you're right Laughing

I think the main thing is you spend a lot of time when skiing trying not to go upside down, so doing it deliberately is a bit unnatural!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@motdoc, I was never brilliant but could do backwards somersaults on a trampoline, but I’ve packed that in now (I’m 41). I’ve done backflips onto an airbag with skis, but after a dozen that went well, one didn’t go so well and my ski popped off and caught me in the mouth (I think), cracking a tooth. I’ve given that up also.

My 10 year old can do a backwards somersault from standing on the ground, and does some very nice backwards layout somersaults on the trampoline. I think he’ll be keen to try on skis this season. Airbag first. But I’m worried about backflips in the snowpark. It’s not a soft landing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Themasterpiece wrote:
@motdoc, I was never brilliant but could do backwards somersaults on a trampoline, but I’ve packed that in now (I’m 41). I’ve done backflips onto an airbag with skis, but after a dozen that went well, one didn’t go so well and my ski popped off and caught me in the mouth (I think), cracking a tooth. I’ve given that up also.

My 10 year old can do a backwards somersault from standing on the ground, and does some very nice backwards layout somersaults on the trampoline. I think he’ll be keen to try on skis this season. Airbag first. But I’m worried about backflips in the snowpark. It’s not a soft landing.

All the advice I have heard is snowpark should be the last place to try them when skiing. Soft off-piste first. Although I think they still just bounce and get up at 10 years old, so I'm sure he'll be fine!
snow conditions
Bennisboy wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

All the advice I have heard is snowpark should be the last place to try them when skiing. Soft off-piste first. Although I think they still just bounce and get up at 10 years old, so I'm sure he'll be fine!

Yes, off a kicker into deep snow I could cope with watching (finding deep snow in Sweden is the issue...). I’ve seen kids not much older being carted off from the snowpark with a brace around their neck, and I can only imagine what emotions their parents are going through at that time.
latest report
motdoc wrote:
I'm 40 now. I'd love to learn to flip. Apart from while stacking; is this a realistic proposition? Happy to put the work in. Anyone else felt the need a little later in life?

I learned to do this on a British Freestyle camp at the ripe old age of 36. You do it on trampoline, airbag and finally, from a kicker. It requires some big balls - balls which, after a big accident in the park and subsequent surgeries in 2017, I no longer have.
latest report
jedster wrote:
@motdoc,

no but I did get seduced by the idea of nailing a 360 at about your age. Couple of narrow escapes with injury and I filed it under "too old for that nonsense". Flips? no thanks.

Was on a heliskiing trip when the brilliant austrian skier (one of the clients, about 35) landed this huge backflip in a full crucifix position off a natural kicker. Was extremely cool but spinal injuries are not.

@jedster, It was doing a 360 off a rail (at the age of 41) that tore my left knee to pieces. I had been massively overconfident having been doing them all morning, and went in far to slowly. Landed backwards at a 45 degree angle, no binding release, and some pretty impressive consequences I missed and My short-lived days of doing tricks are now over. The thought of doing what I did to my leg to my spine are simply too much for me to contemplate.

I'm still happy to jump and land pointing forwards. Anything involving inversion or rotation is firmly off the menu now!! And I agree with the point above - soft landings only now. I will continue to backflip onto airbags as it's hysterically good fun. I may try it into big, deep powder if conditions allow (maybe). But I am not going near a snow park (except for medium, easy landing kickers) ever again.
snow report
I’m 47 and I refuse to give up hope!!!
latest report
If you're old and over 40, your reactions, muscles, balance, spatial awareness and flexibility are gonna be too slow for an onpiste backflip with normal skis.

Getting the flip and spin is easy.

Controlling the spin, in heavy boots and planks, and prepping for the landing, in a half-second, is the hard part.

You shoulda started at 14, not 40.
snow conditions
I only started skiing at thirty
latest report
@motdoc, Whitegold talks novena nonsense 98% of the time, ignore him
snow report
I disagree with some of the sentiment on this thread. It is achievable though punching above your weight if you only started skiing a few years ago.

I learnt to flip straight to snow having tried the bag a couple of times aged 28 but I had logged a lot of ski time previously and skate/surf quite a bit too.

Definitely invest in back protector, lid and I would say mouth guard too (stops cocussion and makes you commit). Also make sure you are v fit beforehand - at least two consecutive weeks on snow to give your core and legs a chance to build.

Finally get a mate who can do it to show you.
ski holidays
I agree with Whitegold, although maybe start at 8 not 14.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
If you're old and over 40

Over 40 is old now?

Maybe to a 15-year-old.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy