Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies Do Europe - Live trip report.

Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, like you we are not a religious family either, but was still an exceptional experience, and would thoroughly recommend going.

I would check the start time with the local tourist office and get there a bit early as the church fills up quickly, I think it started around 6pm when we were there.

The landladies young children of the chalet we stayed in were performing in the nativity show, so she made sure we got there early enough to grab a seat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
So many things to see and do but so little time.
I’m sure we’ll have a ball.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
viv wrote:
Quote:

then chase the snow and powder.....

If you do need to chase snow, it's most likely there'll have been snow come in from the west, which will fall in France, but normally gets as far as south-west Switzerland. If this is the case, your best options for you itinerary are all from Aosta:
1. Tunnel through to Chamonix
2. Ski link from Cervinia to drop into Zermatt - but pay attention to any lift closing, as it's a verrrrry long and expensive taxi ride backif you get caught the wrong side
3. Drive over Grand St. Bernard and drop down to Verbier (or the small resorts beforehand)
Mont Blanc and Monte Rosa can have a huge impact on the weather, and you often get very different conditions either side (and I've never seen similar conditions in Courmayeur and Chamonix when I've gone through the tunnel, though then again I've normally gone through the tunnel for a reason)

I must admit Aosta being relatively accessible to Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn was part of the reason we chose to head that way. Good info on the difference in conditions. Hopefully the Italian side gets some attention from the snow gods in the next couple of months.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, Enjoy. I am a Kiwi originally, have lived in the UK, Oz and the States but now feel at home in Austria skiing all over Europe. Enjoy your trip Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aussie Steve wrote:
That's one full on trip for winter in Europe. I suspect you might be trying to do too much in a few weeks. I would have cut the Aosta leg and concentrated on Austria, Dolomites, Venice. My son has lived in Bavaria the last decade so I've had frequent road trips and ski trips through the Alps in autumn and winter. It takes a lot longer to get from point A to point B in Europe than it does in Oz.

Totally my thoughts after reading the itinerary.

I guess it's like those American whistle-stop tours of Europe...kid asks 'Where are we, Dad?' he replies 'It's Tuesday son, so it must be Belgium!'

You might do 500km in Oz to get to a ski hill, but that's because there are are only a handful of options. Oz is empty compared to Europe, the Alps are the playground of the many large cities around it. The Alps themselves are home to 13m people, must be over 50m when you include the many towns & cities within a few hours drive and when any number of them get on the road, it does hamper progress.

Between Munich & Venice and without deviating far, there must be more skiing than you could cover in many seasons!

Good choice on Arabba for a week though, you will love it around there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out the ski resort maps for the Tyrol & NE Italy here, littered with resorts you will be shooting past:

https://www.bergfex.com/italien/

https://www.bergfex.com/tirol/

I guess you have your reasons for traversing the length of the Alps, there's no doubt you will see & do a lot, skiing in Austria has a special atmosphere with it's lively apres, the Matterhorn is spectacular from the Swiss side, the Dolomites and Venice will blow you away, so enjoy it all!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Good choice on Arabba for a week though, you will love it around there.

I'll be on my 3rd Snowheads Arabba Bash in February 2019 following 2 other Dolomites ski trips. I keep going back because there is so much to see and ski. A quote....
The Dolomites – the largest ski area in the world. ... The Dolomite Mountains of northern Italy offer the world's largest lift-served ski region. It's an enormous, modern network of 460 ski lifts, 50 ski areas, 45 resorts, 12 valley communities and 1,220km of groomed trails. This entire area is covered on one lift pass!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sbooker,

Great responses to the "too many miles" comments!

e.g. "We have busy lives so a busy holiday is just fine." Very Happy Very Happy

I know what people are saying but you seem well prepared for it.

Planes, trains and automobiles! Very Happy Very Happy

By the way - you must ensure that you ski to La Rosiere (linked to La Thuile by ski lift), so you can add France to your ski countries on the trip! wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker,

Great responses to the "too many miles" comments!

e.g. "We have busy lives so a busy holiday is just fine." Very Happy Very Happy

I know what people are saying but you seem well prepared for it.

Planes, trains and automobiles! Very Happy Very Happy

By the way - you must ensure that you ski to La Rosiere (linked to La Thuile by ski lift), so you can add France to your ski countries on the trip! wink

Lunch in France is definitely on the agenda.
I get the impression that La Thuile is likely to be the ‘least busy’ hill in the region over the holiday period too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds a great trip. Even if you do half the things listed you will have had a good time.

We plan to be in Venice on 29th & a bit of 30th Dec, sounds like you might be there or thereabouts then. (We actually fly in and out of Verona but thought we'd tick the big box off rather than Verona).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
Sounds a great trip. Even if you do half the things listed you will have had a good time.

We plan to be in Venice on 29th & a bit of 30th Dec, sounds like you might be there or thereabouts then. (We actually fly in and out of Verona but thought we'd tick the big box off rather than Verona).

We might be there a day or two earlier I think. Are you then going somewhere to ski?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After Venice we will head up to ski at San Pellegrino as I liked the look of the ski area. I could change that as the accommodation is cancellable up to closer the time but there isnt much available now as things in the Dolomites seem to get booked up pretty early. And despite all the other areas around we are rather unadventurous and intend to only do one ski area as with kids its easier to stay in one area where you get to know whats what, rather than spending time/effort loading a car up a few mornings (and forgetting something like gloves etc) then heading to others each day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Train tickets for a couple of legs are done. We didn’t opt for the first class ones. Just like we don’t opt for first class airline tickets.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any hints on an easy way to travel from Verona airport to Arabba? Alastair Pink has been kind enough to point me in the direction of the subsidised bus from Venice Marco Polo which will will use if there is no easier way.
That route would require a bus to Verona train station, train to Venice Mestre, bus to Marco Polo and then bus to Arabba.
The other alternative is bus to Verona train station, train to Bolzano, local bus to Pozza Di Fassa and the taxi over the pass to Arabba.
On reflection we probably should have opted to stay in Canazei or Selva.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re in Kaltenbach (Ziller Valley) for Christmas. I understand it’s important to book ahead for Christmas Eve dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as restaurants go? We won’t need anything super fancy but then again we don’t want pizza or spag bol either.
I suppose we would be open to going to a different village if it was close by.
snow report
Hotel Rissbacherhof - good food, reasonably priced and some great entertainment.

Report here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3207447&highlight=kaltenbach#3207447
ski holidays
@sbooker, In Kaltenbach itself I've had an evening meal in the restaurant of the Hotel Post which was good. I can also recommend the restaurant of the Hotel Alpina in the very nearby village of Ried (less than 2km from Kaltenbach). Either of these would be good for Christmas Eve dinner if you can get a booking. snowHead
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, @ster,
Thanks for those suggestions. We’ll get booking.
snow report
Just catching up on this thread - can't wait for the trip report and photos! Very Happy
latest report
@mountainaddict, next question would be of how to post photos Very Happy
latest report
38 degrees C here in Brisbane today. Just 18 days until ‘wheels up’.
Looking forward to landing into comfortable temperatures........
snow report
@sbooker, When we were there, Kaltenbach itself wasn't very "festive".Mayrhofen was much better for Christmas decor and ambiance. So maybe look for dinner there (you'll have a car, I presume)
latest report
sugardaddy wrote:
@sbooker, When we were there, Kaltenbach itself wasn't very "festive".Mayrhofen was much better for Christmas decor and ambiance. So maybe look for dinner there (you'll have a car, I presume)

No car for that part of the holiday. We’re relying on the train and bus. Is it likely the bus/train between Kaltenbach and Mayrhofen will be running on Christmas Eve?
snow report
@sbooker, I think the trains will be running as normal on Christmas Eve. Timetables for the train and bus services can be found here: https://www.zillertalbahn.at/page.cfm?vpath=fahrplan/gesamtfahrplan&switchLocale=en_GB however the current train timetable shown is only valid up to 8.12.2018, a new one should replace it from then. snowHead
snow report
In a week from now we’ll be in Munich. My wife has started packing. Kids have been doing some checking to see if winter clothes still fit - my son may need to do some last minute shopping. Excitement is building and once I finish work commitments - which will likely be about 10 minutes before we get to the airport - will be at full noise. That will be dampened no doubt once we’re into the twenty five hour flight. Shocked
Any tips on the best mobile plans I can buy in Munich that will cover Austria and Italy too? Main focus will be on the need for data.
ski holidays
Have a look at www.simcorner.com

They do 3 (UK) cards for a little bit more than you can buy in the retails stores in Europe, via mail order in OZ. The cards work worldwide.

The 3 ones are about 40 bux for a UK number, 12gig data (can't tether), 3000 minutes of calls and 3000 texts for a month.

The calling works within countries - so in Austria you can call Austria etc. You can also call UK numbers from anywhere, so you can call other family members on UK mobile numbers within free minutes. How it works is all explained on the simcorner website.

I've used them before and they work great. Had 4 delivered this morning for an upcoming trip. 3 day delivery from oz to NZ so would think you will be fine to get one.

They also do data only sims if needed.
ski holidays
@hang11,
Thanks. I'll check it out.
latest report
The key word for skiing in Italy is... bombardino. Ask for it as soon as you get over the border.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ugo wrote:
The key word for skiing in Italy is... bombardino. Ask for it as soon as you get over the border.

No no no - calimero!!!!!
latest report
mooney058 wrote:
Ugo wrote:

No no no - calimero!!!!!

Try Calimero and Bombardino. Ask what they contain. You NEED the one with Advocaat (eierlikoer) and espresso coffee and schnapps with whipped cream on top, drink through a straw so you drink from the bottom first
ski holidays
How many days now? Must be coming up soon!

I'm also heading over from Australia but not until late January. Even though I've skied in Europe before I'm still ridiculously excited. Especially now there's some snow on the ground snowHead

I completely get the 'fit in loads of stuff while you can' mode of travel. It's a very Australian thing. We have to travel so far and pay so much so we might as well make the most of it Very Happy
latest report
Dont forget there is a small xmas market at munich airport
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Dont forget there is a small xmas market at munich airport

Good call, although I expect after a 25 hour flight Shocked and jetlag sbooker and family will be keen to get to their accommodation and crash out for a few hours. Still, they might just feel up to having a celebratory bratwurst and gluhwein at the airport Xmas market to mark their arrival. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
...also heading over from Australia. Leaving in 27 days.

Our friends posted a photo yesterday of their tracks on a, otherwise untracked, Schafgliger. Looked just stunning. Serious envy. Want to be there now.
snow report
@Raven,
Less than a week now. In between now and leaving will be Christmas get together with both sets of parents and tying up loose ends at work. Kids are pumped to be getting presents from the grandparents early.
@Mr.Egg,
Good tip. We get into Munich early in the morning so we’ll do our best to hang on without sleep until early evening so we’ll have time to check it out. Usually we all can get decent sleep on the plane which helps. First day we plan to walk around Munich (we could be zombie like by then) while checking the sites. Probably go to the Christmas markets in the city and sample some brews from one of the beer halls.
snow report
@ulmerhutte,
You are doing it the sensible way - when it’s a bit quieter. My work dictates now as the time to be away unfortunately.
ski holidays
Whilst not recommending any provider , I would have thought any PAYG sim bought for a German network would work across the EU using the plan allowances as set out in Euro regs as the UK plans do.

If you dont have time to get the simcorner ones I would buy when I got to Germany in one of the providers shops, the benefit being you could get them to make sure they all worked there and then and you had the apps loaded etc to monitor use and top ups.
snow report
@ster,
That's the way I've done it in Canada and the US of A in the past. I think I'll head in that direction.
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
@ulmerhutte,
You are doing it the sensible way - when it’s a bit quieter. My work dictates now as the time to be away unfortunately.

Just an illusion! We will be there for 8 weeks, which is awesome, but we will get mid-terms, Tirol school holidays (in fact most European school holidays), and Fasching. We arrive on the weekend of the women's FIS race.

So, yes, we will get our share of the crowds. We have however been to StA many, many times, so have learned how best to move around to minimise the impact of crowded days.
ski holidays
@sbooker, getting close now. Hope it lives up to expectations.

Blatant plug for my brother...
https://www.schwabingerweihnachtsmarkt.de/thorp-nina-und-stepen/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy