Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea - 2018/2019 - Sauze/Sestriere etc... - (6/12/18 - Bit mild... snow this weekend though!)

Poster: A snowHead

[img]https://www.vialattea.it/Portals/0/logo_vialattea_190.png?ver=2016-10-07-095521-717[/img]

Snow/Resort Reports for:

Sauze d’Oulx, Sestriere, Sansicario, Cesana, Pragelato, Claviere & Montgenèvre

In the true spirit of a Snowheads weather topic, this will hopefully cover every aspect of your trip to the Via Lattea.
Useful links, favourite runs, favourite restaurants in resort and up on the hill and most importantly... WEATHER!

WEATHER
Link to GFS Chart / Wiggles / Squiggles
WEBCAMS
Vialattea Web Cams
Sauze Online Webcams
USEFUL LINKS
Scuola di Sci Sauze Sportinia
Sauze Online
Via Lattea tourism site
Via Lattea Bulletin List of open lifts and pistes
LIFT COMPANY
VIA LATTEA www.vialattea.it
TOURIST INFORMATION
COMUNE DI SAUZE D'OULX www.comune.sauzedoulx.to.it
TURISMO TORINO E PROVINCIA www.turismotorino.org
SAUZE D'OULX INFO ON SNO www.sno.co.uk/ski/italy/sauze-d-oulx/
HOLIDAYS INFORMATION AND BOOKING
CONSORZIO FORTUR www.consorziofortur.it

ACCOMODATION IN SAUZE D'OULX

HOTEL CHEZ NOUS *** www.chaletcheznous.it
HOTEL ETOILE DES NEIGES *** www.etoiledesneiges.it
HOTEL HOLIDAY DEBILI *** www.hotelholidaydebili.it
HOTEL LA PETITA *** www.lapetitta.it
HOTEL SAVOIA DEBILI *** www.hotelsavoiadebili.it
HOTEL SERENDIPITY *** www.serendipityhotel.eu
HOTEL STELLA ALPINA *** www.stellalpinahotel.it
HOTEL OBERJE DLA VIERE *** www.oberjedlaviere.com
HOTEL DES AMIS ** www.hoteldesamis.it
HOTEL EDELWEISS ** www.edelweisssauze.com
HOTEL MARTIN ** www.hotelmartin.com
HOTEL SPORT ** www.villacary.com
HOTEL VILLA CARY** www.villacary.com
RIFUGIO CIAO PAIS www.ciaopais.it
HOTEL MONTE TRIPLEX www.hotelmontetriplex.com
CASA VACANZE ELISA www.casavacanzeelisa.it
CASA VACANZE PERRON www.casevacanzaperron.it

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-12-18 14:21; edited 11 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently snowing ( 29/10/18 ) with no real build up at resort level but for those who know the resort, Sportinia is looking very white!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
News for 2018/19 - the link (Collo Verde) at altitude coming back from Montgenevre will be open this season for the first time in 4 years. (Using piste 100)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@letsgetpiste, Great thread and links for which many thanks. I'm of to Sauze again for a couple of weeks at the end of Jan so starting to get just a little excited!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@esaw1, I'll be heading out the last week in January and again in March this year. I'll catch you for a wine or two in Sportinia!

This mornings webcams were looking nice and white! Definitely enough to get me a little excited!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@letsgetpiste, Always up for a wine or two. Could go totally wild and actually do a bit of skiing too 😎
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Few of the local heads are heading snowboarding today.... seems like theres enough above Sportinia!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for these links... seems like an eternity to wait in until March for Sauze trip tho Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for posting, will follow with interest. Going in January and can't wait. Good news about the Montg link being open, though we will probably piggyback onto the TO shuttle coach instead of skiing there and back this year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[30/10/2018]

James from Sauzeonline & Frank from the Derby Hotel heading just above Sportinia to lay the first tracks of the season!!

http://youtube.com/v/V5jWavoMJ_I
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
toyah807 wrote:
Thanks for posting, will follow with interest. Going in January and can't wait. Good news about the Montg link being open, though we will probably piggyback onto the TO shuttle coach instead of skiing there and back this year.

I think I'll probably do the coach to Montgenevre and ski back this year! both ways was such a drag with the low level link, but the idea of being able to ski back on the reopened pistes will be too good to miss this year!

A few of us heading out in January now - be sure to wear your snowhead buffs so we can spot each other!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spike107 wrote:
Cheers for these links... seems like an eternity to wait in until March for Sauze trip tho Crying or Very sad

All the more reason to book an earlier trip as well!! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the ground reports from Sauze suggesting that theres 30/40 cms of snow from Sportinia upwards. Nothing at resort level but still over a month before the lifts start running!
I'll see what if I can get my hands on any reports from Sestriere today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think James and Frank need to invest in some skins Laughing

I've been over to Oulx quite a few time recently, climbing up to Coto Olivier on the other side after a fab lunch at The Alpine Refuge Chardousë.

Monday was raining very heavy and snow atop and then temps dropped Monday night and then wind kicked in big time.

Snow line is around 2,000 almost treeline to be sure.

I'm waiting till Friday to go up with skis & skins as meant to be some more snow Thursday, though not too sure exactly where to go Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
Think James and Frank need to invest in some skins Laughing

Laughing They clearly couldn't resist the chance to get a bit of skiing in!!
Weathercam wrote:
Snow line is around 2,000 almost treeline to be sure.

Looks like that crept down last night. There's snow down as far as the Clotes lift now!!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 2-11-18 7:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
letsgetpiste wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

All the more reason to book an earlier trip as well!! Laughing

We have, we're going to Sierra Nevada for a long weekend "warm up" 2 weeks before Sauze 22nd Feb…. Laughing

Sod it, I'm going to look for something in Jan now Cool
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/c7BbGpnY_qQ
snow report
Potential conditions over the next few weeks are positive!! Big ground freeze with snow coming in behind it!
snow report
Does look good forecast, though a January trip means little need to worry! Anyone tempted by a December trip to sauze could do worse than check the 'first snow' (10-21 Dec) prices at http://sauzedoulx.net/news/
Numerous hotels offering 3-7 day stays Inc lift pass... 274 euros for 7 nights BB Inc lift pass, HB 15 euros per day extra, is pretty good I thin k
snow report
@toyah807, I see those deals every year and they are unbelievably good value! Unfortunately I work in an industry that bans any leave in December, so I miss out Sad
ski holidays
Got some snow falling up at Sportinia (Sauze) .... Nothing of note at resort level yet!
ski holidays
I was at my apartment in Claviere on Wednesday.
Hit 5-6 degrees and no snow yet but expecting a bucket load this coming week.
Loads of migrants trying to jump the border though!
snow report

cannons firing in Sestriere.
Cannons firing on Clotes.
Via Lattea taking advantage of the cold temperatures!
snow report
My Italian friends sent me a photo of it snowing down to 1000m yesterday - further down Val Di Chisone, past Fenestrelle Fort. It looks like there is a good amount of snow in the forecast this week.

Prali is also looking good on the upper slopes according to the webcam. I think they were snowmaking on the lower slopes but the image wasn’t very clear.

Fingers crossed for a good start to the season!
snow report
The Via Lattea webcams tell a happy story. Even the lower lifts now seem to have a good base and the snow cannons are on here and there to build it up further.

Prali looking great and it’s open as of this weekend. The videos on Facebook suggest the upper depth is pretty substantial and even the bottom lift webcam shows a healthy covering for November.

Hopefully a good long season without the cost of lots of snowmaking will help profitability and investment - the pre-Christmas bookings must certainly be up!
snow report
First time Skiing in the Via Lattea (Stayed in Sauze) last year and it was fantastic, booked to go again in March, counting the very long, slow days and always looking for the daily updates and snow reports!
snow conditions
@Jhead91, My first time in Sauze too last season. I'm off again in January which might be a bit sooner than you but, believe me, it doesn't make the days go any faster. Trouble is you get to the stage where you start counting the hours as well......
ski holidays
@esaw1, interested in how you put your trip together. You do a solo two week trip, right?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lower slopes are looking a little sad and brown right now. It's very mild but theres some very low temperatures and big weather systems rolling in... fingers crossed everyone!!
ski holidays
It is possible to see the snowline disappearing over the past 2 weeks in the webcam-archive here.
snow report
@Whitegold, Showing your ignorance there as one would expect. Main skiing starts from Sportinia levels. Meanwhile coverage will be down to Clotes by mid December.
latest report
@letsgetpiste, Two weeks and solo are not Tour Operator friendly. By the time you've paid for single room supplements and flights half way through the holiday it all becomes very expensive! I get a self catering studio through air bnb and enjoy the independence thatthis gives. Last season I used public transport from Turin Airport and then got a taxi from D'oulx, all of which worked well and was relatively inexpensive. It was however hard work at times with two weeks worth of luggage and two pairs of skis so this year I'm splashing out for a taxi all the way from the airport (expensive)!! I've heard that if you're travelling on a Sunday it's possible to get a ride on the Inghams coach for about a tenner. I find the biggest danger of doing it all this way is justifying costs too much by comparing what it would cost to pay for two consecutive weeks with a tour operator. Last season I did it relatively cheaply.This season there's definitely been an element of 'what the f' and I've finished up with a comfortable studio close to Clotes and private transfers. But that's half the fun of it; working to your own budget and tayloring it to your needs.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/KXCdmQRNlwU
latest report
Montgenèvre seems to be looking good, from the webcams?

We are travelling there on 29th. Fingers firmly crossed.
latest report
Just booked our January ski hol- first time in Montgenevre. Staying at the CGH Le Napoleon, so at the bottom-ish of the slopes- transfer from Torino drops off almost outside. Smile

Would be interested to know how long it takes/best route to get from Monty to the down/up lift bit at the river in Cesana on skis, and then on to Sestriere/Sauze? Looks like there is a v. gentle route next to the main road from Monty to the lifts in Claviere?

How does it work out with lift passes to get into the Italian side? We will have the 6-day Monts de la Lune passes.
ski holidays
Didnt do montgenevre to Cesana but I recall it took over an hour to get to Sauze from Claviere. Given the snow presently you will have to take the chair down into the valley. Last time I went it was a slow 2 seater chair. If you have a car it may be better to drive. From Monty by ski you could add another half an hour I guess, depending on snow etc. The Monts de la Lune pass gives you Monty and claviere, but also 1 day across in Sestriere/Sauze. When we did Claviere 5 years ago we only went for 1 day to Sestriere/Sauze (kids/largish group). We found going to Monty more accessible. We are going back to Claviere on 30th Dec and expect to ski more in Montgenevre as snow seems better at present. We may just buy the local Claviere pass and add days in Monty as required (1 day in Monty and 1 day in Sestriere/Sauze included)
ski holidays
Just come back from Claviere, the only route open from Montgenevre to Cesana is to exit via the mostly flat golf course walking track down into Clav, two chair rides up to to the top (45/44) then you can only ski the first section down towards Cesana, then its skis off and hold them on the first chair (40), skis back on and down the second 2 man chair (39) into Cesana. Going up out of Cesana its a nice walk through the mud from the top of the bubble (38 ) to the first chair (36), then up one of the double drag lifts (34). Couldn't find anything open to ski down into Sestriere so had to take the 29 bubble down, Clav to Sestriere centre took 3 hours after 1 wrong turn and queueing time, wasn't worth the effort. There is nothing to ski below the top of the 40 chair on the Clav side and nothing below the bottom of the 36 chair on the Sansicario side.
snow report
Plenty of decent piste skiing in Montgenèvre, if it is any consolation, but powder hounds will be disappointed.
ski holidays
L8 wrote:
Plenty of decent piste skiing in Montgenèvre, if it is any consolation, but powder hounds will be disappointed.

Agreed, the Fourneous black from the top of Le Chalvet was in perfect condition last week but a few pistes were starting to close towards the end of the week, skis needed a full service with base grind by the end of it despite trying to slalom the bits of rock coming thorugh! Not sure how things will hold up with New Year week though, Christmas week was fairly quiet, the RV park was empty when we got there and overflowing by last Saturday, looks like the crowds were pouring in as I left Happy
snow report
Little OT but where would people recommend getting skis serviced in Sauze? I realise I should do it myself but don't have the kit. Heading there next weekend. Mostly need the edges sharpened given reports on the state of the lower runs, the bases remain good and don't want half the bases ground away...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy