Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Flight Deck Goggles: Hard to swap lenses?

Poster: A snowHead
I just purchased a pair of Oakley Flight Deck Goggles with two additional lenses — all 3 are PRIZM lenses. I'm just a regular piste skier — no ski-touring, staying in mountain cabins, off-piste etc.

So I have 3 lenses: for bright sun, sunny/cloudy, and overcast/dark: Black Iridium, Sapphire Iridium and HI Pink Iridium.

I always have a small rucksack on the slopes, so I would pop the extra lenses in the that (with a case to protect them).

But I've been practicing swapping the lenses out; and that is a real pain and tricky. Hard enough in a warm room with plenty of light — I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be in the late afternoon light on a cold slope at 2,000m, with freezing fingers. I've watched all the YouTube videos on the subject. Plus, however careful you are, the lenses get covered in fingerprints that have to be polished off with a cloth.

So I'm thinking of sending one lens back, and then just getting another full goggle with that lens. That way, each morning I can decide to just take two goggles, either: [sun + sunny/cloudy] or [sunny/cloudy + overcast/dark]. I can swap the lens out in my hotel room. I'll check the weather forecast first, and place my bets.

I don't want to buy polychromatic goggles; not for me.

Any advice? Anyone swapped out Flight Deck lenses on the slopes? Am I missing a trick somewhere? Thanks! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no you are not missing things at all.

One further thing to take into account - the inner lens of the Oakley range is really, really delicate. The anti-fog coating on the inside is unbelievably problematic - works brilliantly, but any messing around with it after you get marks on it really compromises the performance.

Personally, after having had years of experience in using goggles at altitude both climbing and skiing, I do not even consider changing lens on the hill. I take alternative goggles and use a backpack, as you do. I carefully select which googles are going to be right for each trip/day and have them there for swapping out as needed.

Currently, in the deep winter I will have a whiteout lens goggle (oakley hi yellow or bolle aurora) and a low light/semi-bright lens goggle (oakley rose prizm or bolle citrus gun ) in the pack. The rose prizm is a very superior lens and is google of choice. While winter sun can of course be very bright, it is less intense than spring sun.

In Spring I will have whiteout lens (oakley hi yellow) and a semi-bright to very bright google e.g. cat3 (oakley gold iridium).

If you carry a backpack routinely I see no downside of carrying more than one pair of goggles. If there is a problem with one - some form of breakage or loss - then you have a backup. The lens damage and pfaffing which comes from changing lens is removed (colleagues get irritated enough when I take 2 mins to swap goggles, let alone 10 mins to swap out a lens in a frame which is cold and unyielding and my fingers are useless, and I drop a glove, and I mark the lens, etc etc etc).

And cost? well, am unused goggle doesn't get worn out .... so if I am using two or three pairs, each one stays in good condition for longer...it's not really an additional cost in the long run to have two or three on the go....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Poogle, hi, my experience with these goggles and lens changes has been rather different. Both myself and my wife have the sapphire and also hi pink iridium and not needed the black even in bluebird conditions. We tend to decide first thing before we leave in the morning which lens, and most days stick with that but if we need to change we dive into a lift station or warm sheltered place and whip out say the sapphire and put in the pink.

It takes me about 10 seconds max per change and finger marks aren’t an issue in my experience if so allow to dry naturally or wipe with a lens cloth. You could wear silk inner gloves to do it if you are concerned I suggest.

The secret to changing the lens is to start at the nose and get the first 2 lugs pressed home, one both side of the nose, then simply work around both sides at same time. Don’t be afraid to bend out the sides they spring back. Once all way round give them a squeeze and they’re sorted.

I have done the change on a lift before now but it’s more a faff with rucksack rather than the lens change itself so mostly opt to do it in a sheltered place.

I have thought about a spare frame in the past because after a face plant off piste they get full on snow but they soon clear and I’d rather just carry a spare lens than complete goggle box which are bulky in my experience.

These goggles are the best I’ve ever owned, stick with it and practice you’ll seriously get the hang of them. I’ve had no problems, but you do have to be fairly brutal with them to break the new plastic surrounds in.

Let me know if I can be any further help?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Poogle, I would check very carefully that the spare lenses have been finished and trimmed properly. I’ve had Oakley goggle lenses in the past where the tabs have been completely different shapes to the original fit ones, making them near impossible to fit.

I’m very much in the ‘carry spare goggles’ camp, rather than faff with lense swaps on the slopes. However, when I previously had Oakley Airbrakes, they genuinely were seconds to swap lenses.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-11-18 8:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just found a picture I took when sending back a previous Oakley Canopy lenses. Every tab and indent was different to the original making them near impossible to fit.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Poogle, The Prizm lenses are a big improvement on the previous offering, and you might find you don't actually need three. The sapphire will cover the vast majority of conditions – I have really sensitive blue eyes, and I find my jade lens dark enough in the sun, and I've never really needed a lighter one either, but if I do I'll buy a Hi-pink full goggle and carry it as a spare.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @Poogle, which lens are you thinking of ditching? I've been after another lens for my FlightDecks for a while...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@Poogle, hi, my experience with these goggles and lens changes has been rather different. Both myself and my wife have the sapphire and also hi pink iridium and not needed the black even in bluebird conditions. We tend to decide first thing before we leave in the morning which lens, and most days stick with that but if we need to change we dive into a lift station or warm sheltered place and whip out say the sapphire and put in the pink.

It takes me about 10 seconds max per change and finger marks aren’t an issue in my experience if so allow to dry naturally or wipe with a lens cloth. You could wear silk inner gloves to do it if you are concerned I suggest.

The secret to changing the lens is to start at the nose and get the first 2 lugs pressed home, one both side of the nose, then simply work around both sides at same time. Don’t be afraid to bend out the sides they spring back. Once all way round give them a squeeze and they’re sorted.

I have done the change on a lift before now but it’s more a faff with rucksack rather than the lens change itself so mostly opt to do it in a sheltered place.

I have thought about a spare frame in the past because after a face plant off piste they get full on snow but they soon clear and I’d rather just carry a spare lens than complete goggle box which are bulky in my experience.

These goggles are the best I’ve ever owned, stick with it and practice you’ll seriously get the hang of them. I’ve had no problems, but you do have to be fairly brutal with them to break the new plastic surrounds in.

Let me know if I can be any further help?

I agree - Flight deck is best goggle I have ever had!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have flight decks, but the XMs with Prizm Rose lenses and wouldn't even begin to try changing the lenses on the hill for all the reasons listed.

I have a pair of Anons for sunny/bright days and I find two pairs are fine for all the conditions I encounter. In total whiteout everything is useless IMO, but the Prizms are the best lenses I've ever used in flat light.

Two pairs should be fine, and I imagine you'll find you wear the Sapphire Iridiums most of the time anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
interesting I have to agree the lenses are hard to change.

Its all about the nose area once you get eh hand of that then it can be done fast and well. I would have to take my gloves off.

I own Flight decks, Airbrake and Fall lines.

I love my fall lines and they are certainly my favourite so ski in. lens change is the same as the flight deck. I normally use these on days I may only have to change the lens once or certainly do it on the gondola or inside. I use Torch here as the main lens.

Flight Decks are so similar to the Fall lines but just bigger and I use them the same as flight decks. I use Sapphire as my main lens.

Airbrake - I use these on days I will be changing, I have Prizm Black and Rose and these are so easy to change I can do them still on and with gloves on the lift. I do use these goggles the least though as I prefer the above two to ski in.

I am tempted to get the React Prizms but I can't justify the price right now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EarthWindandWater wrote:
Hi @Poogle, which lens are you thinking of ditching? I've been after another lens for my FlightDecks for a while...

I will still have all 3 lenses, but I will exchange one of them with the supplier for the same lens and the goggle surround to go with it. So that way I can take two goggles on the slopes each day. I will swap lenses in the hotel room in the morning as required. But thank you anyway.

I brought the lenses for £72.89 each from www.rxsport.co.uk, inc free delivery. That was with a 10% discount code, that if you email them nicely they will send you — that is specific to your account, so I can't send it to you. That is the best price I could find. But note that "Black Friday" is on the 23rd November, and they may issue a 15% discount code; or there may be better offers elsewhere.

The lenses also show-up on eBay and Gumtree quite regularly. But be careful with Gumtree, there are lots of scams where folks want a bank-transfer and will not take PayPal or meet in person Shocked

Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:
no you are not missing things at all...

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful reply — I think that I'll be doing what you do, as I have a rucksack as well.

And thank you for your warning about the inner lens surface.

If I did not use a rucksack; then I would just carry one optional lens in a big pocket.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-11-18 18:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@Poogle, hi, my experience with these goggles and lens changes has been rather different...

Thank you for such a detailed and insightful reply! Much appreciated.

I previously had GIRO CONTACT goggle and lenses. These have a super-simple magnetic attachment system, and took seconds to swap out. So I would take one goggle with me; plus two optional lenses in a special slim protective holder for spare goggle lenses. This worked very well. But even then, sometimes it would be a right faff on the cold mountainside — more to do with taking the rucksack off, digging around for the lens case etc.

I've had my eye on the Flight Deck for a while; the PRIZM lenses seem a real step forwards. Plus sometimes you just "need" some new gear wink I've practiced swapping the lenses around, and with practice, it does get easier. But it's still really tricky in my book, and without the silk gloves, it's really hard not to get the lenses covered in fingerprints — and that is not good for the lens coatings, even if you wipe it off. As you say, the nose piece is the crucial step; and it one video on YouTube, the guy squeezed the nose piece together before offering it to the lens tab, and this REALLY helps.

Now in all the days I had 3 lenses with me, I never used more than 2 on any one day. It was either [sunny + sunny/cloudy] or [sunny/cloudy + overcast] lenses. Plus, a spare goggle in my rucksack is about the same size as the protective lens case to hold the two spare lenses. So I'm going to give the 2 goggle route a go — but I can still revert back to the protective lens holder option if needs be. The big advantage of the latter, is that I don't need to decide each morning which lens NOT to take.

Many thanks again for all you help, and the other comments here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Poogle, I would check very carefully that the spare lenses have been finished and trimmed properly. I’ve had Oakley goggle lenses in the past where the tabs have been completely different shapes to the original fit ones, making them near impossible to fit.

I’m very much in the ‘carry spare goggles’ camp, rather than faff with lense swaps on the slopes. However, when I previously had Oakley Airbrakes, they genuinely were seconds to swap lenses.

Thank you. I will check the tabs. I'm most likely going to be in your camp with the carrying spare goggles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
@Poogle, The Prizm lenses are a big improvement on the previous offering, and you might find you don't actually need three. The sapphire will cover the vast majority of conditions – I have really sensitive blue eyes, and I find my jade lens dark enough in the sun, and I've never really needed a lighter one either, but if I do I'll buy a Hi-pink full goggle and carry it as a spare.

But I WANT three! I need to spend my money on something rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
Having spent years riding around with alternative Oakley lenses in my rucksack, there was barely a single year when I didn't crack a lenses down the middle (the area over the nose)... or worse, through either main section.

I then bought a second set of goggles and have never cracked another lens since.

Save yourself a fortune and buy a second set of goggles.

To be really safe, put this second set in one of those cheap (£10) semi hard cases they sell on Amazon.

No more fiddling with lenses on the lift, fingers getting frozen, sun block finger prints all over your iridium/anti fog coatings... just whip one set off and pull the other set on.
ski holidays
Have to say I agree they are not easy to change, but once you get the knack not that hard. As other have said fitting a lens start at the nose, removing one finish at it. I've got the Rose and the Black and find they cover such a range of conditions I don't often need to change during the day. I think if I'd bought a mid-range lens I'd be changing even less.
latest report
Quote:

Personally, after having had years of experience in using goggles at altitude both climbing and skiing, I do not even consider changing lens on the hill. I take alternative goggles and use a backpack, as you do. I carefully select which googles are going to be right for each trip/day and have them there for swapping out as needed.

That...

I try to spread my bets... have the prizm pink for the low light and then use a julbo chameleon for the other set. Very rarely get caught out.
snow conditions
@Bar Shaker

bar shaker wrote:
Having spent years riding around with alternative Oakley lenses in my rucksack, there was barely a single year when I didn't crack a lenses down the middle (the area over the nose)... or worse, through either main section.

I too had the same issue, until I brought one of these WYRD Goggle Lens Holders. You can store 2 extra lenses in here, and even when you have it in your backpack and lie back on it on a lift, the lenses will not break. Sadly though, they are now hard to get hold of:

snow report
Was thinking about this over the weekend, and tempted to buy a second pair of frames and a case, dont need the lenses though i've got these already, couldn't find just a frame option on line though, anyone suggest a cheap way of doing this?
ski holidays
@Markymark29

Give ebay a go.You will often find Flight Deck goggles with non-Prizm lenses, or even clear lenses, or even where the lens is badly scratched — and these can all go pretty cheap.

Then sometimes folks don't know what they have, and don't describe it correctly, like this listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAKLEY-PRIZM-SKI-GOGGLES/143015792557

You can also try the Shpock phone app, this is for stuff to buy and sell locally. And you can also give Gumtree a go — but there are quite a few scammers there; best to meet in person, or at least send money to a registered and checked PayPal account.

You could also post in the equipment section here, and ask if anyone has a spare.
latest report
@Poogle, Ha, yes I saw that ebay one earlier myself, looks wierd. I never quite trust that unwanted present but no box thing......nobody ever bought me a pair of Oakley Prizm's and threw the box away before I realised they weren't for me! Perhaps i'm being unfair but I also think that will rise in price quite a lot over next 4 days.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
no you are not missing things at all.

One further thing to take into account - the inner lens of the Oakley range is really, really delicate. The anti-fog coating on the inside is unbelievably problematic - works brilliantly, but any messing around with it after you get marks on it really compromises the performance.

Currently, in the deep winter I will have a whiteout lens goggle (oakley hi yellow or bolle aurora) and a low light/semi-bright lens goggle (oakley rose prizm or bolle citrus gun ) in the pack. The rose prizm is a very superior lens and is google of choice. While winter sun can of course be very bright, it is less intense than spring sun.

In Spring I will have whiteout lens (oakley hi yellow) and a semi-bright to very bright google e.g. cat3 (oakley gold iridium).

If you carry a backpack routinely I see no downside of carrying more than one pair of goggles. If there is a problem with one - some form of breakage or loss - then you have a backup. The lens damage and pfaffing which comes from changing lens is removed (colleagues get irritated enough when I take 2 mins to swap goggles, let alone 10 mins to swap out a lens in a frame which is cold and unyielding and my fingers are useless, and I drop a glove, and I mark the lens, etc etc etc).

And cost? well, am unused goggle doesn't get worn out .... so if I am using two or three pairs, each one stays in good condition for longer...it's not really an additional cost in the long run to have two or three on the go....

I second this. I typically pick a lens for the day and hope that it doesn't go one extreme or the other. I have Jade and Rose. I find the Jade much better as an all round, especially if it gets sunny.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, Yes, they will rise in price I'm sure. I did call Oakley a few days ago to ask the same question about spare goggle frames, but they don't supply those. They suggested contacting various Oakley suppliers to see if they had any lying around for any reason.

You might actually have more luck in a big resort, where some of the shops have big boxes full of all-sorts of odds and ends, and they just keep stuff on the chance it may be of help someday.
latest report
@Poogle, I have the Rose and Jade prism lens for the same goggles and to be honest I rarely change the lens at all. The rose is just fine for all conditions apart from a bluebird day in March. I'll decide that morning if I'm changing them or not and very very rarely carry the spare as I find I don't need it unless I have the Jade in and I think it might get cloudy in the afternoon. Just my two cents and I've had those goggles since they first came out with the prizm lens.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, Flight Deck frame only. This one went for £30. Worth contacting the seller, as they may be able to get their hands on another one. Looks like Luxottica uk (who own Oakley, and 95% of other big eyewear brands), may supply frames only:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Matte-Black-Frame-Only-7050/253936275507?hash=item3b1fc81033:g:jyIAAOSwVE9bxcXo
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy