Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens hints and tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going from a Wednesday to Last flight out of Geneva Tuesday through the Easter weekend next year with my partner and two children, 9 and 6. From reading other VT posts ski school could be a problem but I'm hoping once in resort they'll be more accommodating. To anyone who has done this, what time should i leave the resort? Any other pointers would be be welcome. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Evanesther, what time is 'last flight out ? Pointers about what?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Evanesther, when we came to booking lessons for our girls during SFaB last year we find a lot of the instructors fully booked (we did leave it quite late) as Easter is definitely still a peak week in Val Thorens. So not sure if you will find this when you get there.

I ended up booking a private instructor through Sport Mason who worked nicely though another snowhead had a poorer experience of the instructor they ended up with.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here is the thread where I put his details up. JudyC wasn’t so impressed with her instructor.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=136052
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Evanesther, great resort for Easter skiing. With Easter so late this year can’t believe it will be that busy but perhaps try calling the tourist office to see what they recommend re ski school. Enjoy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Evanesther, Prosneige are generally pretty flexible, I would give them a call (in advance).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take it you're happy stumping for private lessons as most groups run Sun- Fri?

I guess Prosneige might give you Thu-Fri and Sun- Tue on a group but you'll definitely be fending for yourselves or needing a private on the Saturday. In fact quite common to see instructors blasting around with their own kids on the Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found Prosneige pleasant to deal with by email for organising group lessons for Sunday-Friday; as @NickyJ found, private lessons were a harder ask of them.

As for time to leave the resort, you might look to previous EoSB threads for details of the 'Lardybus' transfers; from memory I think it is about 2.5 hours to Geneva, but that could be inaccurate - and in any case would very much depend on local conditions on the day.

And yes, VT is a nice resort at Easter, as many hundreds of Snowheads will attest!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Sorry the post was so vague, flight home is at 2120 and I have a rental car, generally wondered what time people left the resort in my position.
Regarding pointers, if I get lucky and I can put the family in ski school for the morning plus they have lunch, what sort of distance away from Val Thorens can I get if I go at a fairly enthusiastic pace, in order to meet them again, say a 9:00 to 1330 window of opportunity? Thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all, was hoping not to have to throw money at the problem and book private lessons so I’ll take my chances when in resort for group lessons. At a push my partner and eldest can manage without them but my 6 yr old could do with them, may have to allocate the ski school budget to her.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Evanesther wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Sorry the post was so vague, flight home is at 2120 and I have a rental car, generally wondered what time people left the resort in my position.
Regarding pointers, if I get lucky and I can put the family in ski school for the morning plus they have lunch, what sort of distance away from Val Thorens can I get if I go at a fairly enthusiastic pace, in order to meet them again, say a 9:00 to 1330 window of opportunity? Thanks

Depends on the weather. We were having trouble wit this as the winds kept causing lifts to be closed on us Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Evanesther wrote:
what sort of distance away from Val Thorens can I get if I go at a fairly enthusiastic pace, in order to meet them again, say a 9:00 to 1330 window of opportunity? Thanks

For the return journey from Courchevel 1850 you can take Verdons (7 minutes) and Saulire (3 minutes) to get you to the top of Meribel. Then it's a long ski down (1000m vertical) to Plattieres (10 minutes), Plattieres 3 (3 minutes) and Cote Brune (8 minutes) to get you to the top of Val Thorens (600m above the resort). So that's 30 minutes on the lifts, another 15 minutes queuing / loading / unloading and whatever it takes you to descend 1600m.

Courchevel 1850 is the main base on the far side of the 3 valleys from Val Thorens, so it's pretty much possible to ski anywhere you want and back within the time you have (maybe not Courchevel 1650 or St Martin).

Having said it's possible, it's not something I would recommend on doing when you've got a flight home to make. What happens if a lift is closed or you get lost? You could easily add an hour or two to your return journey. Personally I'd explore the far side of the resort on the other days, and stay near VT for the final morning. There's a good selection of runs above VT that don't depend on lifts to get you back to the resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Evanesther wrote:

I wouldn't reckon on getting to Courchevel and back in time for ski-school pick up!

I a morning I'd reckon on getting to and from anywhere on the VT pass, including Orelle, or maybe a jump over the ridge and a humble around Meribel if all conditions are good that morning.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Evanesther wrote:
Thanks all, was hoping not to have to throw money at the problem and book private lessons so I’ll take my chances when in resort for group lessons. At a push my partner and eldest can manage without them but my 6 yr old could do with them, may have to allocate the ski school budget to her.

Remember its Easter week so I'd be surprised if lessons aren't sold out if you wait until in resort until booking a place. You might get lucky with sHs if there is a FamilypreEOSB though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thelem wrote:
For the return journey from Courchevel 1850 you can take Verdons (7 minutes) and Saulire (3 minutes) to get you to the top of Meribel. Then it's a long ski down (1000m vertical) to Plattieres (10 minutes), Plattieres 3 (3 minutes) and Cote Brune (8 minutes) to get you to the top of Val Thorens (600m above the resort). So that's 30 minutes on the lifts, another 15 minutes queuing / loading / unloading and whatever it takes you to descend 1600m....

Minor correction: you can ski directly to Cote Brune from the top of Plattieres. No need for Plattieres 3.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy