Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt lift pass options?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!
We've just booked a trip to Zermatt over the NY period. We'll arrive in Zermatt mid morning of the 28th Dec and are planning to ski that afternoon. As we're staying until the 4th Jan we're trying to work out with lift pass to get, and whether to book them in advance or not? I think we'll ski into Cervinia quite a bit (to take advantage of the cheaper mountain restaurants!!) so probably either a 7 day international pass or a 6 day international pass and then just buy a half day ticket for that first afternoon. Also, there's only a 5% discount for advance booking, should we wait until we get there as we'll have a much better idea of the conditions then??
Thanks in advance!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi we go every year at that time. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! I would suggest that you don‘t buy the international pass before you get there, and, to be honest, probably not at all. It only works out cheaper if you go over to Cervinia at least twice, otherwise you can just buy a daily add on to your Zermatt pass if you decide to go over. The link to Cervinia is susceptible to closure, usually due to high winds, and you don‘t want to get caught over there unable to get back as it is a long (and expensive) taxi trip back if you do. I don‘t want to put you off however as it is a great trip and different experience in every way crossing over into Cervinia, but we have had New Year weeks with 6 days blue sky weather and others where we wouldn‘t have been able to go over once, in which case the International Pass would have been a pretty expensive waste of money. It also takes quite a long time to get up and over (though should be quicker this year with the new lift from Trockener Steg) so with the shorter days at that time of year you need to make an early start to have time to get over and back, assuming the weather is kind.
You can check the forecast when you arrive and make your decision then. Are there children in your party? If so there are various lift pass discounts depending on their ages.
Also, forgive me if you are already aware of this, but the skiing at the border area with Italy is very high. If you aren‘t used to that sort of altitude it can affect people in different ways, light headedness, headaches etc. The general advice is to ski around Zermatt for at least a day at slightly lower altitudes just to get used to it. Of course if you live at altitude or are used to it that may not be necessary.
Hope you have a wonderful time!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its true to say that Zermatt does not have a one price policy this season. Prices will vary depending upon demand. Not sure what the best policy would be. Worth going onto the lift site and monitoring the price of one or 2 options over the next few weeks. I will, and we are not there till early March.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That‘s a good point, this is the first year they are offering `Dynamic`Pricing, but as the proposed visit is over New Year, I suspect the chance of any meaningful discount is small! No harm in looking though as you say.
I should also have said that there is an offer currently available online for a 15% discount if you purchase before the end of October. Not sure if that is of any use/interest but might be worth checking out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the very helpful replies. Where are you seeing 15% discounts? I can only find 5% when I’ve looked online. We’ll probably go for just the Zermatt pass then if the chances of not being able to get over to Cervinia are high due to the weather.

Also, do you know what is the price for a half day ticket? I can’t find that information either!

I’m soo happy that we’re going g to Zermatt though, it’s been my bucket list ski destination for a long time!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
15% is a lot more than you can get with the best investments, even 5% is decent and worth having. As long as you have the cash and don't pay interest on a credit card etc. (all Martin Lewis provisos!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A first quick look on the site putting in my 4 days in early March. Zermatt only pass 273 Francs, International 307. A 34 Franc difference or 8.5 per day. Given a 10 day decent forecast from Noza (on Weather outlook thread), I would buy International for the period. Scotsgirl, interested in the add on cost you have used in the past. I've been a few times to Zermatt and never done this. What has it cost roughly per day?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That‘s interesting pricing for March @twoodwar, clearly the dynamic pricing for off peak season dates makes a meaningful difference. For you, given that you going in March and the chances of good weather a probably higher, you might be as well just buying the international pass and taking your chances. Prior to this season, you just added on a single day price to your pass at whichever base station you started your day from in Zermatt. I can‘t honestly remember the price now but it was at least 40 odd francs so for your dates you are ahead for sure. I haven‘t done a dummy pricing for high season dates so I don‘t know whether the savings will be as good (but I highly doubt it!). I‘m sorry I can‘t now lay my hands on the email that had a link to the 15% discount but if interested I would email the lift company people and ask them about it. I do remember it was an early bird offer ending at the end of this month.
I have to say previously the Zermatt.ch site had an easy link to a list of all possible combinations of prices (1/2 day, 2 days in 6 etc) but that doesn‘t seem to be there now, you just get linked through to the site of the lift company and prices for 1/2 days etc are not easy to locate. The new site looks great but I don‘t find it as user friendly. The tourist office people are usually fairly helpful and might be able to help you out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Scotsgirl, I had previously always gone for the International for all days, even last year when both Cervinia and Zermatt were cut off by avalanches. I perhaps have been lucky but we have always got over to Italy, mostly at least twice in 6 days skiing. I suspect this might be where surferrosa ends up. If the price changes for my few days this season over the next few weeks i'll post again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The prices I’m being quoted for 6 day pass is international at 439 francs, Zermatt only is 390, so just 49 franc difference. I can’t find the price for half day pass at all Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahhhh, you can actually book 6 and a half day pass in advance, this is exactly what we’re planning to do!! 470 francs for international, 416 for Zermatt only. Decisions, decisions...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go international, 54 Francs. Go over at every opportunity. Lunch at Chalet Etoile, (Fish soup!!!), or Bontadini, and use the new cableway which I cant wait to do. A one day International pass will cost more than the difference for the whole time from what I can see. Unless the forecast is terrible (high wind), you should be fine. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to email directly about the 15% discount but I doubt the offer is still available if it's not advertised anywhere anymore.

How busy will Zermatt be over New Years? I'm expecting busy but what are the lift queues like? Any tips on how to avoid them??

My first ski trip in over 10 years, I'm beyond excited!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've emailed the lift company and the 15% off offer is for newsletter subscribers. I've signed up so hopefully I'll receive the offer before it expires!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@surferrosa,

Link to the 15% advance ticket reduction, remember to get them before the end of October Very Happy

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/de/Spezial-Aktionen/Presale-Newsletter
snow report
BTW
You can change the language to English via the top menu bar
ski holidays
Oh, get the international pass, lots of great skiing and cheap food over the Kline Matterhorn.
ski holidays
Thank you soo much! We’ll definitely take advantage of this.
snow conditions
First time in 10 years, and Zermatt! You will be spoiled and have difficulty not going back at least every year if you're like me. Hopefully there will be a good band on at the Papperla, - assuming you like that sort of thing.
snow conditions
Zermatt has been top of my list for years but always discounted it due to cost. We were originally going to go to St Gervais but then got worried about the conditions so early in the season, so started looking at higher alternatives accessible from Geneva (our flights were already booked). By chance looked at Zermatt, expecting the worse but there were hotels in budget!!!! Yippeeeee!!!!! So we're going...... Cool Little Angel Blush
ski holidays
Ah @Seahoob, well done with the link! I’ve found mine now too. Times certainly have changed in Zermatt, deals left right and centre!
@surferrosa, you’ll have a great time, and even if the weather isn’t kind enough to allow multiple (or any) trips to Cervinia, you’ll find more than enough to keep you busy/happy in Zermatt. New Years Eve is a blast, partying in the main square and lots of crazy fireworks (usually, if there’s no ban on account of dry conditions, a rare event but has happened).
Not sure how big a group you are or your accommodation arrangements but NYE dinners in restaurants are pricey. Nevertheless the most popular places get booked up well in advance.
Last year even with snowmaggedon when we couldn’t ski every day we still had some great Winter walking and great lunches to compensate. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Surferosa, we have stayed at La Couronne for the last 9 years. Brilliant hotel, in the perfect position for 202 swiss francs per night for 2 including a great breakfast. snowHead It has always been great value. Far better for the money than anything I have ever found in France for example. The real cost is a relatively expensive pass, ( but variable pricing may change that?), and if like me you like a great lunch, Chez Vrony, Findlerhof, and Zum Zee don't come cheap. They are my 3 favourite restaurants, - oh Chalet Etoile over the border, make that 4. If you go for one expensive lunch, Findlerhof is the pick. I have had McDonalds at night with the kids, when they were smaller, to balance things out!
snow conditions
twoodwar - we've booked Hotel Continental, great deal and much cheaper than I could even find in Cervinia for my dates! I've skied in Canada a couple of times so expensive lift passes are what I'm used to!! Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive casual dinner on NYE? I'm guessing we should be trying to book something soon.
snow report
Nothing cheap in Zermatt. If you can stand pizza/ Italian on this evening we have never been let down by Grampis. Bubble has now closed. Look and see how your hotel fares? All the rest are reasonably expensive, ( even Grampis for pizza!). Trip advisor rankings are pretty good imo.
snow conditions
Unfortunately most places, even the casual ones, do special menus on NYE which tend to be pretty expensive. However have a look at places like the North Wall, Cafe du Pont, Sparky’s, Old Zermatt, Grizzly’s and Gee’s for more casual food. Gusto Matto is another nice fairly new Italian but again, not sure this far out how many might be offering special menus only.
You won’t go hungry, that’s for sure!
ski holidays
Just remembered Sparky's. Great if you like curry. It is not a candlelit experience though. High quality food and decent wine. Sparky is a brit, from the channel islands from memory. My wife wont go there as she does not like curry, (shame for me), and not keen on Sparkys very affable labrador. Good value though for Zermatt and def casual. Normally shows extreme skiing films as well.
ski holidays
@twoodwar, I feel your pain. We love Sparky’s, the man and his food. Not all curry on the menu but it’s true that his four legged friend Charlie is often there so if your wife doesn’t like him then other offerings on the menu won’t tempt her back!
The Continental I think is B&B only with a ‘dine around’ link to the restaurants at the Zermatterhof. I would highly doubt those will be the cheapest options for NYE!
Many places are closed now for holidays between the end of the Summer season and the start of Winter. You will be able to make enquiries (if no one responds now) towards the mid/end of November onwards I would think.
ski holidays
@scotsgirl, yes that's right that the Hotel Continental is b&b only, I emailed the hotel after booking to see if there were any half board options but was told there wasn't. I'm sure we'll find somewhere nice for NYE. I've looked at a lot of restaurant menus online and the prices are very expensive generally, but we've been going to Barbados quite a bit recently, and the prices are very similar there. And, there's always McDonalds if we want a 'cheap' night!!!

Sparky's looks great!! Love a good curry Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy