Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for season insurance with off piste (other than SCGB)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

What are the current recommendations for reasonable cost season insurance cover including off piste (we've had a quote from the Ski Club but it is looking quite pricey)
Interested in unlimited days - as well as the usual 45 and 60 day cover options

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mpi
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One option is https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance you need to be a member (about £40 I think) and it is not full travel insurance ie delayed flights, lost luggage etc but it does cover rescue and related medical costs for most outdoor activities (exclusions are things like going over 6000m or professional activities etc).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just renewed with MPI.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used MPI last season when I wanted extended cover for a 4 week Austria trip. I know they do season cover too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my daughter used ERV (I think)

ERV.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Join the Austrian Alpine Club: https://aacuk.org.uk/

This includes insurance for off piste rescue and associated medical costs for a full year with pretty much zero qualifiers (many other companies will try and wiggle out of it if the avalanche risk is 3 or above or if you are not with a guide etc). Many people join simply for the insurance and never attend a single club meet/event
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for mpi. I've never yet had to claim but when looking at small print, I noticed they offer more coverage. For example, some insurers will only cover your skis if you leave them in an actual ski rack or within sight when you stop for coffee/lunch/cake etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
have used LV for the last 3 years. Off piste without a guide, but within the resort boundaries is covered. 180 GBP for the year for me and the wife. Luggage covered on this as well. Never yet claimed though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMC
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mine is inluded with my Nationwide bank acct.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@twoodwar, assuming that we're talking about Europe here, a clause that mentions 'resort boundaries' renders the entire policy pretty much worthless as European resorts very rarely have boundaries
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been a member of the AAC for years.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks- will look into the various recommendations
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have also been AAC members for many years - never had to claim though. While we have met several people through our climbing club who have been treated well when claiming after climbing/mountaineering accidents, I have not had any reports of efficacy in skiing accidents - has anyone else experience?
ski holidays
Carte Neige or Ancef???
snow report
MPI - sensible off piste definition and refreshingly straight forward medical declaration.
https://www.mpibrokers.com/travel-insurance-products/ski-snowboard/
ski holidays
I've just renewed the annual insurance for me and the OH with Club Alpine Francais.

This time I've added world wide cover and equipment as I'll be doing a number of trips throughout the year inc USA where as last year we took individual insurance out for Japan (ski touring) and Madagascar, though just reading the smallest of small print again would seem that I'm not covered for kite surfing (Madagascar), where as over the weekend someone advised me that I was, so I'll be double checking that one.

Tis way over the top price wise, but I don't really want to be stuck in the likes of Siberia and remote Mada or faced with silly US hospital bills etc etc !!
snow report
I use InsureandGo as I need a yearly policy for all my other pursuits and holidays.

Very reasonable price and includes:
Off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management)

Mountain rescue is covered on our policy provided you have paid the appropriate winter sports premium, or you have arranged an annual multi-trip which includes winter sports cover for free.

Only about £150. Often think I am missing something.
snow conditions
stephen buck wrote:
Mine is inluded with my Nationwide bank acct.

According to the website off piste is only included if with a qualified guide.
ski holidays
Hi. So I went on the MPI website and their quotation section has nothing about pre-existing medical conditions so I tried to find a phone number to ask....
On the "contact us" part there was no phone number - just an online "send us a message" - so I filled this in. OMG I then tried 8 times to successfully complete their "I'm not a robot" test (trying to work out if grainy photos had cars/shop fronts and goodness knows what) before it would accept the email.

Has anyone ever actually claimed off them and were they ok - because if it is this hard to get a quote I am not impressed so far!

Need a cup of tea to calm down.....
snow report
@jayne durham, Snowcard, ie; www.snowcard.co.uk

Brilliant service when I needed them, been with them for years.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, brilliant for me too...but they are now not great on pre-existing

Snowcard Insurance will provide cover for new injuries or illnesses which occur during the period of insurance.
It will only provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions that you knew about before booking your insurance or your trip as long as none of the following apply to you and/or anyone you are buying insurance for.

You have a medical condition which has required a change or increase in medication in the last 12 months or which necessitates a consultation with a medical practitioner or hospital consultant more than once a year. (more info)
You have a cardiac or respiratory condition for which you take more than 2 prescribed medications. (more info)
You are aware of symptoms and you are awaiting diagnosis for any medical condition. (more info)
You are on a waiting list for or have knowledge of the need for surgery, treatment or investigation at a hospital, clinic or nursing home (other than for pregnancy). (more info)
You have been admitted to hospital overnight or received treatment as a day patient in the last 6 months following an Accidental Injury. (more info)
You have been admitted to hospital overnight or received treatment as a day patient in the last 5 years for any medical condition or symptoms. (more info)
A medical practitioner has advised you against travel, or you are taking part in any activities against the advice of a medical practitioner or hospital consultant.
You are travelling for the purpose of receiving medical treatment, surgery or medical investigations.
You have received a terminal prognosis.
If any of the above do apply to you and/or anyone you are buying insurance for, this policy will not provide cover for any claims arising directly or indirectly from that pre-existing medical condition.

the (more info) bit is a link on the website which often tells you to try another insurer
ski holidays
@jayne durham, I’ve had annual, multi trip insurance with MPI for several years but didn’t need to claim until last season. I fractured my shoulder in Tignes in December and needed to claim for treatment in the medical centre and medical supplies at the pharmacy. Unfortunately, the injury meant I then couldn’t go on two further ski trips I had booked for later in the season and had to claim for cancellation costs related to those. I submitted the claim forms (one for each trip) and relevant documentation, calling MPI to clarify any points I wasn’t sure about, and the claims were all settled very quickly after being accepted.
As if that wasn’t enough, I travelled to Australia the following Spring and, whilst there, needed to be transported to hospital in an ambulance with a severe attack of vertigo! The treatment I received in hospital was free of charge under a reciprocal agreement between Australia and the U.K. However, the ambulance wasn’t free and the bill came to nearly £700. Shocked The subsequent claim was again settled promptly through MPI.
ski holidays
Thanks all. I will look at the various options

MPI actually redeemed themselves & replied within minutes once I actually managed to send the email.
As Boredsurfin says they appear to have a very simple approach to pre existing conditions “anything that has occurred or changed in the last 12 months”
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I'll be honest I never read the smallprint, Embarassed but thankfully none of that applies to us (touches wooden table). I'd think, on reflection most snow sports insurance providers would have similar though, if not wouldn't they be wriggly in the event of a recurrent event?
latest report
@Markymark29, most others will cover pre-existing for a "small extra charge" but snowcard won't touch them at all.
snow report
Useful thread guys. My ACL surgery was over a year ago, so MPI look like a good bet. Theiur price for a season's insurance for me, wife and the baby is £451 for their mid priced package, which seems reasonable. I used them on my last season, but never had to claim.

This was just for France. We are spending two weeks in Utah in February. The price jumped to almost £2k to include the US! Think I will buy a specific annual travel policy including winter sports for that one...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of recommendations for MPI but without info about claiming. I used MPI for a season once - it was about £350 I think, and had lots of trouble when it came to making a claim. I had to argue with them for a few months back and forth and eventually they paid half of what I claimed (which was only €500) even though they were legitimate costs. Also - previous insurance policies I've had with other companies waived the excess entirely if the hospital bill was covered by EHIC but MPI don't do that, you have to pay the excess with a standard policy.

I know someone else who claimed stolen skis from them without any problem, they paid out immediately (albeit it after the excess I assume)
latest report
MPI were great with my claim. I did get them involved as soon as I found out I had broken my ankle and the docs were muttering about possibly operating. EHIC picked up most of the stuff in resort apart from crutches and drugs, and MPI's folks sorted out repatriation and transfers. Claimed for costs, which included excess baggage (I'd bussed out for the season, and had broken myself within a fortnight, no web access to pre pay cheaper online and unable to get to a post office to send stuff back that way so it was hop up prices), and they paid out pretty promptly.
snow conditions
I made a small claim of about £100 for a flight which was probably not explicitly covered by the MPI policy but they paid without trouble.

BMI were great when I made two claims in early 2015 (not sure if the underwriter is the same now though?). Paid out two lots of about £1500 under "curtailment" due to injury meaning I couldn't take part in pre-booked cat/heli skiing.
ski holidays
It really is pretty simple. Get a cheap standard policy that does not cover off piste, then join the AAC for under £50 which gives you emergency rescue cover for any activity apart from over 6000m high or the Poles. If travelling to the States get a short term policy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy