Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand... When to go dilemma.

Poster: A snowHead
Basically my far better half has relatives over there.
They were recently over here. They've invited us over there.
We intend to go but me and the kids will want to ski and she would rather enjoy sun n sand. Can this be done to suit us both or would we end up just comprising too much both ways?
I don't know which region but apparently skiing is part of their kid's school's winter curriculum! The lucky, lucky barstewards! Toofy Grin
All advice will be much appreciated...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HotDogger, We toured around in a motorhome and visited some of the South Island's ski resorts. That was early in July and I think their Season is just ending now. If you bear in mind that Wellington (north island) shares the same latitude in the Southern hemisphere as Oporto (Portugal) does in the north you might get an idea of the weather.

Beautiful place. Lots of variety of terrain from mountains to tropical forests. Also has some stunning coastline and beaches. Whale watching, coastal cruises. Relatively cheap sight seeing flights and heli trips. (maybe not with a couple of kids in tow). Personally I think touring around is the way to do it but each to their own.

The skiing is a little different. (reminded me a little bit of Scotland. As does the scenery as you travel towards the southern tip). Planetski have just done a bit of a blog from down under. Might be worth a read. https://www.planetski.eu/news/10759

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 15-10-18 18:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are going to be staying/skiing on the North or South Island - two different answers so first thing to decide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies!
I think we'll be doing the touring option as the family are spread over both islands.
I'm hoping to go during our school summer holidays as I can't see the point of just going for a week or two when it's such a hike to get there and we're going to have lots of options regards places to stay.
I'll have a look at the link once the little daarlinks are in bed. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having a shameless photo plug for my weekend just gone.... Very Happy

Saturday

Sunday

This is Christchurch, last day of the season at Mt Hutt, and I was wearing a winter wetsuit and associated paraphernalia to go surfing yesterday (and needed it).

There's plenty of beaches in NZ, but if you want them to be nice and warm, winter isn't the best time, but they are still bloody nice!

If you want warm, best bet is the far North of the North Island in winter. Bay of Islands is gorgeous. Not much snow up that way though.

If you are just heading to the South Island, the ski fields around wanaka/Queenstown are a couple of hours drive from the coast. The Catlins and Southland coast are stunning with nice sandy beaches. West Coast is very rugged and wild, and beautiful

Canterbury has plenty of ski fields within a 2 hour drive of plenty of beaches.

I would avoid the first two weeks of July. School holidays, and the ski fields fill up with Ozzies dressed up like bags of skittles Very Happy

Ask away if you need any specific info.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@GeorgeVII, Wellington is on the North Island. Thankfully.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-10-18 6:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-10-18 6:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best time for South Island is usually August. School holiday crowds are gone and snow base is usually deeper but it has not warmed up yet. North Island often runs a bit later so into September is often really good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied Mt Hutt in June, toward the beginning of the season on 3 week tour of the south island. The snow was just fine. had some quite warm days around Nelson but not really beach weather.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hot dogger, we (as a family) did it this year to coincide with the Scottish summer school holidays for 5 weeks from the first week in July, returning mid August. My wife is a kiwi & I lived there for 7 years so we both know the place a bit & have plenty of friends & relatives there. We rented a car & travelled around loads, as far north as Whangarei & down to Christchurch & stayed with accommodating friends & relatives for the whole 5 weeks. My wife hasn't been back for 11 years so this was the big catch-up trip with skiing as the sideshow for me & the boys. Having done this winter trip I wouldn't want to go in the summer again; the temperatures were sensible for me who isn't good in humidity & it wasn't super busy everywhere as in the summer, which we heard constant complaints about from the locals. We flew into Auckland & left from Christchurch. North of Auckland we certainly had days where it was 20 degrees & very comfortable shorts weather & we spent a day sunning ourselves on the blissfully empty beaches.

As a lot of my wife's family are based around Nelson we spent perhaps 2 1/2 weeks there & that's where we went skiing from. We had several days at the Rainbow ski area by the Nelson Lakes; it's a modest club field but I've never been as well looked after by such friendly staff. There's a discount available if you book on line the day before. I didn't get to explore it quite as well as I might as every time we were there we had some beginners with us which I was keeping an eye on. It's not like skiing in the Alps but more like skiing in Scotland on the best days of the season in spring. The drive to the ski fields in NZ tends to be quite exciting as it's usually a zig-zag with hairpin bends up the side of the mountain & snow chains were compulsory (worn, not just carried) every time I've been skiing there. I got very good at fitting them! We rented the car through Hertz & they supplied chains, at a charge.

Nelson tends to have very good weather & has a very high sunshine rate but I'm not sure that there were many 'beach' days, even though we were probably on the beach most days walking with the boys. I suppose we found the Nelson winter to be not that different to September in Scotland, just without the midges. On the good winter days in the South Island you could easily sit outside for lunch & it was just about perfect temperatures for hillwalking etc if you got the steep ascents over before the middle of the day.

Christchurch was noticeably colder at night but we still had lunch outside in the sun, we just kept our coats close by.

My sister in law & husband & child were also over for the big reunion & they rented a camper van for 10 days & did trip the down to Fiordland & up the west coast. They live in Northumberland too so you probably know them.

We enjoyed the trip but we were really taken aback at how expensive everything has become. If your wife is desperate for some sun & you can afford the time then a stopover might be the answer. I'm sure you realise it but the jet lag can be pretty serious & takes a few days to get over. I've done this flight many times now & the criteria I gave the travel agent was 'fly from Edinburgh & it must have the best legroom in economy as I'm 6'3"'. Qatar Airways was the answer, although the 17 1/2 hour leg from Doha to Auckland was a bit of a killer.

Incidentally, I was at school around Perth & we went to Glenshee with the school most weekends in the ski season & most of the schools around Edinburgh take the kids to Hillend (plastic) to learn to ski.

Feel free to pm me if there's anything else you want to know about.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have lived there and traveled many times. I would recommend you go in their Summer as it is a better Summer holiday destination than for ski holidays. Amazing country best seen November to April. Ski resorts similar to Scotland in breadth and quality without the alpine/highland charm tho fine for locals.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's the school holiday thing that's always the problem & no, I wouldn't go there just for the skiing. Still great fun though & as I'm used to skiing in Scotland it was like being at home with better weather.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. It's looking interesting. I really like Scottish Skiing and I'll be introducing the girls to Glencoe this year. So I reckon we'd have plenty of fun. Being from the North the NZ winter sounds appealing to me....
I reckon if we do a beach holiday elsewhere on the return journey it'd break up a horrible long haul and fulfill the needs of all.
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. Food for thought indeed! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hang11, My bad. Meant to say "in the South of the North Island".

We flew into Wellington and spent a few days there staying with friends. Then flew down to Christchurch. Picked up a campervan there. Toured around the South Island and spent a few days skiing. Returned the 'van to Christchurch and flew back to Wellington for a couple of days before returning to the UK via Sydney. Other than spending 24 hrs flying on my birthday I don't think there was anything about this trip that I didn't enjoy.
latest report
HotDogger wrote:
Hmm. It's looking interesting. I really like Scottish Skiing and I'll be introducing the girls to Glencoe this year. So I reckon we'd have plenty of fun. Being from the North the NZ winter sounds appealing to me....
I reckon if we do a beach holiday elsewhere on the return journey it'd break up a horrible long haul and fulfill the needs of all.
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. Food for thought indeed! Very Happy

Cook Islands are nice, and easy to do from NZ
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy