Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche tranceiver - recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
So my old faithful BCA Tracker is now ‘old’ technology. It still works fine but maybe time to move forward to a more modern, 3 antennae model. Any recommendations?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@glenski, I’ve got an Ortovox 3+ which is very easy to use fits the bill. There was a recall for software upgrade from version 2.1 to 2.2 but it was sorted very efficiently by Ortovox who paid for shipping and provided an exceptional service, which for me has given them an extra reason to recommend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mammut Barryvox
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@glenski, Have the Ortovox that @geepee, has but I've also used the Barryvox that @KenX, recommends.

The Barryvox was far better at getting to a buried target than the Ortovox. The orthodox is easy to use and only deviated for a few seconds a couple of times but did send me the wrong way then back on the right track (EOSB avalanche training day with HuskyDave). The Barryvox was so good you could simply run following the directions and got straight to the target ( a pack buried the night before 1m deep).

If I was buying one I'd get the Barryvox. I'm happy with the ortovox.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spot the predictive text correction.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GlasgowCyclops, Yes, I suppose it’s tempting to follow them religiously. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mammut Barryvox S for me, every ‘pro’ features under the sun but no need to worry about any of them if you don’t want to get technical
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a Barryvox S recently and have done a couple of transceiver training sessions with it. It outperformed pretty much everyone elses I saw, with only the Pieps one that someone else had getting a similar range.
very easy to use, neat group check function, even an easy multiple burial / flag function. So far I'm very impressed with it and glad I spent the extra money.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take a look ... https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-avalanche-beacon/ratings. It also has Mammut Barryvox S at the top.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The normal Barryvox is a perfect choice for most cases. The S model is slightly more differentiated compared to the Pulse vs Element in the last generation. We have both, actually all four until last week, and there's not a lot of difference between the Barryvox and Barryvox S in normal use.

Mammut did a webpage of their own with the comparison: http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com/2017/09/deciding-between-new-barryvox-s-and.html

Both the Barryvox and Barryvox S support a rather neat device-to-device update which reduces costs for anyone running several devices. The most recent update should iron out a few niggles that were noted in the field.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all, many thanks for your comments and weblinks. Very helpful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the other site worth looking at is https://beaconreviews.com/index.php
fairly thorough and objective testing.

@glenski, dunno how much _practice_ you've done with yours... we find moving between the our aging Trackers and typically the Ortovox 3 reasonably straightforward, but personally I'll probably get the Pieps Sport, mainly as it has one of the better detection ranges, and is otherwise 'simple'.

I see Pieps have some new models now... not sure I'd want to be fiddling with setting up my ARVA from my phone though....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the pieps sport, easy to use, good range and a multi flag option, would definitely recommend it, if you want more techie and better battery life they do a pro version too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also have a Pieps Sport. Apart from the points that @freeridechef makes, I like the big easy to read display and the big sliding button that would be easy to use with cold fingers. It also sits in a neat harness. The ease of flagging multiple burials is a very good feature.

There is a new version called the Pieps Powder that gets 5 star reviews.

Interesting article and video from Henry here: https://henrysavalanchetalk.com/latest-transceiver-training-technique-from-anena/?fbclid=IwAR0PY7Lo4CZD9pHlLXn-dKsdu1oHeHcqh61aR4u0bBkhKVURU9V4fc-0G48
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@glenski, The BCA DTS is still a very very good, fast processor easy to use beacon, it also has a very good search range with its 2 antenna.
The only downside to the BCA Tracker DTS is when you have multiple casualties all wearing a Tracker DTS beacon, this is because their send pulse rate signal variation isn't so variable, and at some point all the Tracker DTS beacons in the search area that are sending, will eventually end up with their pulse signals in sync with each other - pulse overlap - this makes it harder for searching beacons to process the signal timings and work out where the closest signal is coming from - but only in multi burials I might add.
Pulse sync in multi casualty beacon searches will cause your search beacon to tell you to stop, stand still or wait - This doesn't mean the search unit is a slow processor (they are millisecond units very fast), It means it is working rapidly through algorithms to figure out which pulse timing is the closest casualty beacon.

So your 2 antenna digital DTS is still a very very good unit - but if you want new toys then Mammut barryvox is also a very easy to use beacon for recreational users or SAR team members alike.
latest report
Question re Lithium AAA batteries, can we put these in any beacon or does it need to be designed to use them?
snow conditions
I bought a new Barryvox last weekend. Went in deliberating between that and the Pieps DSP sport; was convinced by the superior range, better display, and the fact it doesn’t look like one of those Tamagotchi toys from the 90s.

Completely turned off Ortovox beacons - my S1 started turning itself from send to search (while under my jacket on a lift).

Re lithium batteries, yes only in a transciever designed for them. Otherwise you run the risk of the device not showing that battery is running low til it’s too late.

Also surprised anyone would still recommend a 2 antenna beacon...
snow conditions
Hi Clarky999, weird how that happened to the Ortovox.
snow report
@clarky999, Did I mention the phrase 'I recommend a 2 antenna beacon? No I didn't think I did Smile
I Simply stating that the BCA Tracker DTS is still a very good unit, They work Smile

What do I use at work? A Mammut Barryvox S.
ski holidays
Wow! I’d heard about interference from mobile phones, but Henry’s talk is much more explicit about what to do. Thanks for the link, bar shaker.
ski holidays
Thanks for the links on comparison sites. Very useful.

I still have my BCA DTS Tracker and yes, it still works well and the display is so easy to follow. But there are better models out there and with longer range. I didn't know about the pulse overlap.

I’m edging towards Pieps Pro/Barryvox S at the moment. Now I need to go and see them in action.

Thanks again everyone.
snow conditions
Unless you are using a beacon at work in ways that would negate asking on a forum. Use the Barryvox not the S, avoids confusion, same goes for the Peips. Less to think about when you are stressed out of your tree, trying to rescue somsone for real.
snow report
@Idris, My understanding is that the S is actually has additional ease of use features that aren't present on the non-S model - the advanced 'pro' features which might cause confusion are disabled unless you explicitly enable them. Certainly from my experience as an almost complete novice (I'd done 30 minutes of training once before) having done 2 training sessions with the S I found it very clear, quick and easy to use.

This from the page @ise linked above
Quote:

Barryvox S contains several features in the standard operating mode that benefit all users, regardless of their experience or ability level. These features are not found in the standard Barryvox, and most importantly these functions operate in the background of the standard operating mode, so the user doesn’t have to “do" anything to take advantage of these benefits:

* The larger 2.2" screen makes it easier to see and read, even in difficult lighting conditions
* Dynamic screen icons cue the user through a search, helping to keep the search moving and hopefully preventing moments of indecision. A "dynamic screen icon" is one that MOVES or changes through the search to indicate what you should be doing--an example would be the searcher icon shown at the bottom of the screen: running during the signal search, slowing down through the coarse search, and finally crawling during the pinpointing phase.
* Smart Search operates in the background and allows for efficient, follow-the-arrow guidance through both the coarse search and the fine search, ending at a specific probe-location, in a manner that is forgiving of imperfect searching technique such as a sloppy grid search, changing the height of the beacon from the snow or turning the beacon.
* Auto Guidance also operates in the background and allows the transceiver to continue providing uninterrupted search direction even during signal-overlaps encountered during multiple burial searches. This feature virtually eliminates the "stop stand still" message that the Pulse and Element used to indicate signal overlap, allowing you to continue following the curved field line without stopping or being sent off-course because of the overlap.
* Lithium Batteries the Barryvox S can utilize Lithium batteries or alkaline batteries, like the Pulse before it (link). Lithium batteries last longer, are lighter, and if they fail don't damage your beacon from acid corrosion. Make sure to read the REFERENCE MANUAL for critical information on the battery life indicator function, but this is a very big advantage for many users.

snow conditions
@Markhandford, fair point, I should read more carefully!
snow report
glenski wrote:

Yep, happened on two different days last season, a couple of times each day... In fairness each was after having been left overnight in my car... but still given the conditions they’re designed to work in I don’t think that’s an acceptable reason. Could just have been a faulty device, but had been fine the few seasons prior. Not confidence inspiring anyway!
ski holidays
glenski wrote:
Wow! I’d heard about interference from mobile phones, but Henry’s talk is much more explicit about what to do. Thanks for the link, bar shaker.

Interesting that Mammut also say not to wear clothing with magnet closures/buttons.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
glenski wrote:

Yep, happened on two different days last season, a couple of times each day... In fairness each was after having been left overnight in my car... but still given the conditions they’re designed to work in I don’t think that’s an acceptable reason. Could just have been a faulty device, but had been fine the few seasons prior. Not confidence inspiring anyway!

I have a friend whose Ortovox has suddenly decided that it only wants to send and won't go in to search mode when you switch it. Only about a year old so it's going back to Ortovox to be looked at. Not as bad as your situation, but as I am also after a new transceiver to replace my old Patroller, it's making me lean even more towards the Barryvox (had a go with a friends one, ditto a Pieps, leaning towards the Mammut).
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
glenski wrote:

Interesting that Mammut also say not to wear clothing with magnet closures/buttons.

I find the use of magnets in buckles etc an absurd development in mountain clothing/ equipment - dangerous and unnecessary. Really don’t understand why these companies are doing it. I was looking for a new helmet last season and had to discount several otherwise good-fitting models because of magnetic straps...I really don’t want to risk that coming anywhere near my compass or transceiver. Bah.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tubaski wrote:
@Idris, My understanding is that the S is actually has additional ease of use features that aren't present on the non-S model - the advanced 'pro' features which might cause confusion are disabled unless you explicitly enable them. Certainly from my experience as an almost complete novice (I'd done 30 minutes of training once before) having done 2 training sessions with the S I found it very clear, quick and easy to use.

This from the page @ise linked above

I don't think anyone's calling them additional ease of use features. They're just additional features. As I said, and Idris, you really would be as well with the normal Barryvox. The base models hold their value better as well if you want to resell.
latest report
@ise, my point (although I may not have expressed it clearly) was I couldn't see @Idris meant by...
Quote:

Use the Barryvox not the S, avoids confusion,

when the only differences between the S without expert mode enabled (default it is off) and the standard model are features that ate described by Mammut as...

Quote:

Barryvox S contains several features in the standard operating mode that benefit all users, regardless of their experience or ability level.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the Barryox is perfectly good and may be better value. But I don't think the S is more confusing (unless you enable expert mode)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy