Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bloody Oktobertest!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Come to Okotbertest they said. You get to try different skis side-by-side in the same conditions they said. It will make it easier to choose the skis for you that said...

Of course no Rossignol Sky 7s, which were top of my list from in-resort testing but they did have Dynastar Legend x96s which I enjoyed as much as I remember enjoying the Rossis...

Don't suppose anyone's skied both the Sky 7s and x96s have they? Currently going in circles in my head:
    * Can get the Skys cheaper than the x96s - but is that a good reason to pick the Skys?
    * x96s look a little boring but positively flamboyant compared to the Skys - but is that a good reason to pick the x96s?
    * Feel for x96s is fresh while I could be remembering the Skys through slightly rose-tinted lenses - but then again it's I can't actually REMEMBER the Skys, just have my notes from the time saying "Yes" so could be remembering them with opposite of rose-tinted lenses?

Yes, first world problems/MTFU/etc are valid responses but please, for the love of god, don't go suggesting OTHER skis and making the choice even harder Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha ha Happy

I have come away now convinced I want new skis tempted by the K2 Missconduct skis despite them being “All mountain freestyle” skis and I went in expecting to want a piste ski but wondering about a 80:20 or 90:10 ski....

Also thinking maybe I am not going for them, but they were so much fun to ski on and felt so responsive. Though I am now wondering whether to try and hire them for the day when we go in Feb - if they have them available to be sure that how they felt translates onto the mountain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mjit, if you can, try them both on a mountain, preferably on the same day or at least same trip. The indoor test is great for a quick comparison, see what you're leaning towards and narrow down the selection etc., but it's a then a good idea to get a longer test in proper outdoor conditions before you drop the cash.

Otherwise, just buy the red ones Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are TOTALLY different skis. And yep skied them both. Neither is ‘better’, rather it depends on your style and preferences.

Skys: soft, floppy, playful, surfy, light, fun. Deflect more in choppy snow, less stable at speed, won’t hold an edge as well, chatter more on hard snow.

X96s: stiff, metal, smooth, composed, damp, chargey, serious, on rails. Need more work, harder to throw around in tight spots, more tool than toy.

Think goofy labrador vs trained german shepherd.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:

Very Happy Love your work!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Laughing There's definitely space in ski marketing for some pet analogies. Not sure I liked my new planks, they skied like a "cat that won't come out from under the sofa".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing for no apparent reason at my desk at work...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
They are TOTALLY different skis. And yep skied them both. Neither is ‘better’, rather it depends on your style and preferences.

Skys: soft, floppy, playful, surfy, light, fun. Deflect more in choppy snow, less stable at speed, won’t hold an edge as well, chatter more on hard snow.

X96s: stiff, metal, smooth, composed, damp, chargey, serious, on rails. Need more work, harder to throw around in tight spots, more tool than toy.

Yep, fully agree that finding both in resort would be best - just never seems to happen that way! Trip #1 you go to resort A and they have hundreads of skis, including the Skys...but nobody has the x96s. Trip #2 you go to resort B and they DO have the x96s...but not the Skys. It's like literally the worst thing ever*

I've already got a pair of slalom skis** that I great for hard and even icy pistes so looking for something to play off piste and in fresh snow - but I don't go in for walking when I've paid for a lift pass and there's a perfectly good set of lifts and pistes to get me to the off piste area, so they need to be lazy cruisers there/back, not hard work like I found the some.

* Clearly it isn't.
** Dog analogy: Whippet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mjit, if you like SL skis then defo the X96 the skys would be like noodles. I have a pair and they are great skis. Light weight and fun in powder and grippy on piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, given you really liked the X96's and given Clarky says the Skys are totally different, the answer seems obvious, no?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
@Mjit, if you like SL skis then defo the X96 the skys would be like noodles. I have a pair and they are great skis. Light weight and fun in powder and grippy on piste.

I'm not looking to replace my SL skis but to add a second pair to my quiver. If I look out the window and it's going to be a piste day then I'll be grabbing my current SL skis over either the Skys of X96s. If the X96s are more SL-like then maybe I should go Skys.

Layne wrote:
@Mjit, given you really liked the X96's and given Clarky says the Skys are totally different, the answer seems obvious, no?

If I'd only skied/only really liked the X96s then you would be correct. I've also skied the Skys in resort though and while they may be really different also really liked them. Hence my dilema.

As I found both could be skied at any pace I chose, and both pushed or carved on-piste, rather than dictating pace and style like some I've tried, it's probably a question of which is better/easier/more fun off-piste. So which is better off-piste, a trained german shepherd or a goofy labrador?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mjit, It sounds like you've answered your own question really... obviously you need to buy both Laughing

So if it's soft and fluffy off-piste you take the Skys, but if it's hard and cruddy take the X96s. And if it's crappy and rocky, take the SLs and stay between the poles.

(I don't in any way advocate the above advice as a way of justifying my own choices which basically amount to exactly this Little Angel )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tried the sky7 hd at Christmas, unfortunately, the offpiste was fairly skied out & hard but in the small amount of deeper snow I found, the big front rocker came into its own, on piste however, they were totally hopeless, put them on edge across the piste and it was a complete lottery as to where you would end up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy