Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots (yes again) -what about the exoskeleton type?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to get new boots this year and am torn between the usual alpine boots and the "new" exoskeleton types with a snow boot inside due to the comfort factor and the less weight to lug around?

I only ski on piste, decent intermediate on the odd black but mainly reds/blues. Ski at least a week a year maybe more on occasion.

I havent in the past had trouble in getting alpine boots to fit. No extreme pain etc. Had a pair of my own but never had custom footbeds I think these new boots will likely take me to the end of my time skiing.

Cost wise the exoskeleton boots look initially more expensive starting at about £450. I would look at the Dahu Monsieur Ed Ski Boots.

If it makes a difference I would get the normal boots at Ski Bartlett which is not too far whereas the Dahu boots fitter would be some distance.

So what do I do? Stay with tried and tested, or go with the new? Thoughts? Things to consider?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Exo boots are heavier and clunkier ( longer bsl) than regular. If Terry at Bartletts can't sort you out with a boot than you've probably got really freaky feet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, go with the new and review.

That way we learn from your potential mistakes... wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, your next boots are going to last you more than 20 years Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Exo boots are heavier and clunkier ( longer bsl) than regular. If Terry at Bartletts can't sort you out with a boot than you've probably got really freaky feet.

I dont think my feet are freaky and am sure any bootfitter worth their salt could fit them. I am just wondering if the exoskelton type could be a good option given my (lack of) skiiing ambition and their benefits, or are they just a gimmick, not even fit for decent recreational skiers. I wouldn’t mind not lugging heavy ski boots around if it could be helped and just unclipping and walking in a near normal fashion........maybe I should snowboard.

under a new name wrote:
@ster, go with the new and review.

That way we learn from your potential mistakes... wink

I am a usually follower not a leader/early adoptor, thus ski on piste only. And I probably couldn't tell if it was a poor boot or my lack of ability causing poor performance!

holidayloverxx wrote:
@ster, your next boots are going to last you more than 20 years Shocked

Well I reckon I’ve got ten more years until one of the money runs ours; the decline of snowfall in Europe; or my knees give out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So any other tips on these?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I haven't tried these so this really just my thoughts based on what we can see online:

Their whole premise is based on comfort and convenience. There's not even the tiniest suggestion that they'll be better to ski in so if you're at all interested in improving your skiing, maybe mastering short turns or moguls for example, then I'd avoid them as they're almost certainly softer and slower to react than a normal ski boot. On the other hand if you're happy cruising on the slopes making relaxed turns then that shouldn't be a problem.

Will they really be more convenient? I tend to keep my ski boots in a locker by the lifts so the only convenience for me would possible be lunchtime up the mountains, where I have to admit I've had some close calls from ski boots slipping on shiny floors. What would you do with the outer shell at lunchtime anyway? I wouldn't dare leave them on the ski so would have to carry them with me and that doesn't sound very convenient.

I'd also worry a little bit about durability. We could probably walk around in our normal ski boot liners if we wanted to but they wouldn't last very long. I guess if it's only for a week or two a year and you weren't planning to walk for miles each day then they should be fine.

Bottom line? I like the idea but for me the questions on performance and durability outweigh the potential benefits of comfort and convenience. You might reach a different conclusion but at least you'll have thought through the issues.

If you do buy some, be sure to come back and let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I looked at these but bought Atomic Hawx Ultras.

So glad I did as I love them... and that's coming from the comfort of wearing snowboard boots for 30 years.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ster, a quote to me by a Snowsports England Tutor, who has been testing the Apex boot this summer (personally i think the Apex is the better of the two) he delivered a L3 coaching course in a pair, his comment was, "i was fine delivering the course, but i am sure i wouldn't want to be doing the course in a pair"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right. CEM reckons the Apex is better but it costs twice as much as the Dahu I am not sure the cost/return works on these for me.

Also like to think that I might have some improvement left in my old legs which I may not easily squeeze out with these more unknown quantities but may be aboe to in a stiffer traditional boot.

So made an appointment at Ski Bartlett to go traditional.

Maybe next time for the exos. By then better tech and more proven.

Cheers for all the advice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been skiing in the dahu since 2014...never look back, most comfortable ski boots I've ever had!(skiing here in Italy since 1985)..not for racers , but I'm an advanced skier and they are unbeatable for ski touring..all my skills buds are running them now ..they set the flex at 12O..but I'd say it's more like 105
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster,
Got a mate at Hemel who's an 'advanced + / lower expert' level' and he loves the dahu boot swearing he'd never ski in anything else and would replace in a heartbeat !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alas too late for me this time round. Bottled it and bought a pair of conventional Head Nexo Lyts. They are a bit lighter than usual so good from that point of view.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy