Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Ski Length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone! I'm upgrading my touring setup, and was hoping for some advice on what size ski to go for.

I found a deal on a pair of K2 talkback 88s in 160 length, and am trying to decide if I'd be better off returning them for the 153 version. I'm 5'2" and about 130lbs, and am an intermediate skier, new to the backcountry (I got out on maybe five tours last winter, but nothing too extensive).

I currently ski a pair of dynastar cham 87 166s and a pair of Armada ARW-87 155s in the resort. I like the Armadas better. I prefer tree runs, tight turns, and taking my time, rather than ripping it down slopes, and am not a super aggressive skiier. I mainly do short, half-day tours in the Wasatch, and am looking for a good "quiver of one" touring ski, and the K2 Talkbacks seem to fit that bill.

I'm worried the 160s will be too large (especially since K2 sizes tend to be larger than stated, and these were closer to 162 when I measured them), and that they will be awkward on the uphill and hard to kick turn, and not as nimble as I'd like on the downhill. However, I'm worried that the 153s will feel too short and won't have as much float as I'd like. With the rocker tip, they will feel a lot shorter, from what I understand.

Both skis are unmounted, so I won't be able to test them out before mounting my bindings on them.

Is that 7cm really going to make that much of a difference? Is it better to size down for a more maneuverable and lighter ski for the backcountry, or size up for better float/stability?

Just trying to decide between the two sizes, and any advice would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowhound24, A lot depends on how much rocker they have. The more rocker it is better to go longer as the skis 'feel' like they ski shorter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowhound24, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I'm afraid I can't offer advice on your choice between the 153 and 160 K2s, the only advice I can offer is that you should probably have somewhat shorter skis than the ones in this photo.....

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm.
Kind of borderline in my view. the talkback 160 is probably about right for touring, however if you wand to have the tight turn, close tree capability go for 153.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
157.48 centimeters - 58.9670081 kilograms - just to get an understanding. Toofy Grin

I know British industri has finally come to SI, but Brits have not reached that far yet. wink

(when my brother in law talks about Gallons and Stones - I am happy of this smartphone time) Shocked

But we do not count age in sec. - do agree with you on that Cool

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 7-10-18 8:26; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Doubt it’ll make much difference at all, both sound a bit short...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowhound24,

From everything you’ve said pretty sure you’ll prefer the 153 length.

Here’s a general size guide for reference.

https://www.powder7.com/k2-ski-size-chart-and-sizing-guide
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, crikey. Have K2 reinvented the “compact” ski?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, that size chart puts me at 184cm which is my preferred length for a freeride ski.

@Snowhound24, is a short, intermediate skier favoring control and technique over speed. I don’t see any possible advantage to her of going for a 160cm ski?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, @under a new name, ignoring the last line on the women’s chart where it’s clearly gone a bit wrong, what is the reasoning behind the recommendation of longer skis for men than for women of the same size? Something to do with this:
Quote:
As always, men's skis are unisex and women's skis are designed with a women's body in mind.

but that doesn’t really explain anything?

I have to say, for me, the chart comes up way short, but I acknowledge that my skis are big and that may not be relevant for the OP. I’d probably say the 153 tbh.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, more float.

Obv. Women are weaker.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards the 153, and I'm feeling pretty confident now that it's the right choice. I'm sure I'd be fine on the 160s, but a slightly shorter ski definitely suits my skiing style better and I think I'll feel a little more comfortable overall on the 153s.

As far as K2's size chart, it does seem a lot shorter than other ski size charts I've seen. I've read that most of their skis are a few cm longer than stated, so maybe they are adjusting for that?

Anyway, just ordered the 153s, I think they'll be perfect. Thanks again!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi , for what it is worth my Mrs has yr stats pretty much exactly and very quickly found a 152 Cham too short versus a 158 Cham - so I would reconsider! A ski too short can be as bad as a sk too long!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy