Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crans-Montana or Grimentz for snow and steeper New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As in thread title really.

Two advanced skiers, got a hotel reservation on booking.com for crans from 28th dec to 1st Jan (I know it's not ideal but compulsory annual leave so making the most of it). However, i've noticed there is also some availability in grimentz and now am unsure what to do.

Trip is a warm up. We enjoy off piste (normally got to Argentiere) but given the early date looking for reds to cruise and the occasional black/ski route. All the french biggies are booked out unsurprisingly. Manchester-based so geneva flight are by far the best, hence the geographical restriction.Have previously been to and enjoyed Saas Fee and Zermatt but looking to do something a bit different.

The dilemma is that having previously experienced rather dry new year conditions in st anton, a similarly sunny area at crans gives me some pause for thought. The piste map looks excellent, but I'm wondering whether the shadier and higher val danniviers may be a better bet? Anyone got local knowledge, is the snowmaking etc at crans sufficient to counter the southerly aspect in the event of a dry start?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be seriously tempted with Grimentz, one easy lift from village straight up to ski plateu to get height if low conditions are sparse. Great place to ski. Also the new lift straight to high level of Zinal.

As comparison I've not been to Crans, so unfortunately can't compare for you. Have stayed in Zinal to ski that end of Anniviers though and would definitely go back. Grimentz has more in village to stay so think that's best option for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven’t skied either for a while although my recollection is that Grimentz/Zinal had much more challenging off piste terrain. Crans has a reputation for soaking up the sun in expensive chalets whereas Val d’Anniviers is cast as a less discovered off piste playground for the adventurous
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimentz, the area is fabulous and as its the north facing side of the valley snow holding is perfect. Be warned, however, there are many old lifts, pomas, t - bars, adds to the magic for me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to jump in here and suggest La Tzoumaz, which is linked into the 4 Vallées (Verbier, Nendaz, Veysonnaz and Les Collons) https://cdn.j2ski.com/piste_maps/o/CH/Four_Valleys_Piste_Map.jpg - It's also north-facing but an advantage of La Tzoumaz is its connection to Verbier (200kms). And I also declare a vested interest - our apartment is in La Tzoumaz so of course, I'm biased. http://www.latzoumaz.ch/en/index.htm

Another option might be to stay in the valley, and then make excursions to the many resorts in the area: Crans-Montana, Zinal, Ovronnaz, La Tzoumaz, Verbier, Veysonnaz etc. The thermal Bains de Saillon resort includes a hotel and isn't as exclusive as the likes of Leukerbad. See https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/ An advantage of staying at a thermal resort is that if the weather is terrible you then have the option of the Swiss 'Wellness' thing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the feedback. 4 vallees somewhere I hadn't considered, have been once but with flat light and everything scraped slick by the foehn. Maybe another option to consider, though I imagine the bit around La Chaux and Lac des Vaux etc must be nuts at NY. Is stuff like mont gele, tortin etc normally passable by that point?

R.E. Grimentz. Is the road to Vercorin passable in the winter or do you need to go back down to Sierre? Just thinking accessibility of trees for flat light. I've been through the area on the way to the Moiry Hut in the summer, but the only thing I remember is the insane (!) road up to Grimentz.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used that road first full week of January with no obvious problem.

We'd driven from Nendaz and took that road that rises earlier along the base valley to pass through Vercorin on the way to a day in Grimentz. Unlike the principle route up that you probably drove it has less extreme gradient and a bit more sheltered. Our week there was pretty good snow (not a ram stacked week) with very good coverage in 4V, so reasonably representative of that time of year unless you get an exceptional dump that could affect many routes. That main route they even park plough equipment at intervals along the climb for correctly fitted vehicles to use if they aren't already on route, demonstrating it's severity.

Also drove it in first week of March on finishing a week in Zinal. Again, it was all good.

I haven't skied Vercorin, just Zinal and Grimentz, so have no comparison to offer on the terrain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hollando, if you consider 4V’s Le Chable may be worth a look. Easy access to Bruson for trees or Verbier side if weather is good. Will be busy for sure but nowhere with better terrain for good skiers. What’s open will depend on snow conditions. It was all open last year but previous years it’s taken longer for Mt Gele to open
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
East decision - go to Grimentz. Crans is sunny, expensive and, dare I say it, "a little up its own ****". Grimentz is laid back, good height, snow sure, and better off-piste by far (including Zinal area). You will need to be lucky, though, to get some serious dumps at that time of year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied both last Christmas and I would definitely go back to Grimentz, don't think I'd go back to Crans. We did have good snow and Grimentz did hold on to it much better, probably due to the aspect and busier slopes we found a number of slopes in Crans rather polished despite it being a bumper time for snow. Pretentious is the word I'd use to describe the atmosphere in and around the town in Crans.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a fairly heavy consensus building here! Will look closely at val danniviers.

As I understand it its quiet a la champoluc gressoney etc on an evening. Presume there's a couple of welcoming watering holes for a post-ski and post-dinner pint? Especially seeing as it'll be new year
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deffo Val d'Anniviers for all the reasons above, but don't miss Saint Luc and especially Chandolin which also have great skiing. One option is to stay in Vissoie at the centre of the valley, it doesn't have its own pistes but every morning an army of yellow post buses heads off to each of the resorts. It's all very charming.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Verbier = steep.
2. Grimentz = steepish.
3. Crans Montana = reds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimentz, without doubt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi. I was also lucky enough to ski Grimentz/Zinal and Crans this year.

Grimentz in Jan and Crans in March.

Agree with the above, Grimentz hands down. Some amazing easy access to powder and proper steep stuff if you so wish to indulge.

Terrain at the top in Zinal is an inbound marked free-ride zone so relatively safer than otherwise.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy