Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will be leaving Munich airport around 8pm and hoping to travel 1.5 hours and head to Obergurgl early Saturday. Looking for B&B recommendations en route please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am guessing you dont fancy driving all the way at night (though it isnt that far, around 2.5 to 3 hours depending on traffic). If you are simply looking for somewhere to stop on the way and be convenient for onward travel in the morning a number of the service stations on the Autobahn in Austria have accommodation. Try Angarth (near Woergl) or the one just before Innsbruck. Otherwise look in some of the small towns along the way. Oberaudorf or Kiefersfelden just before the Austrian border or Kufstein or Woergl once into Austria. There is a German hotel booking service (it does English too) www.hrs.de which is much better for this sort of thing than the English language ones.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Made a similar trip last year but to Pitzal which is the next valley over. There are 2 routes which in the absence of traffic take roughly the same time - motorway via Kufstein/Innsbruck (further and requires a vignette, this can be brought from tolltickets.com before) or over fernpass - scenic but I can imagine this would be less fun after heavy snow and/or on a busy transfer day (glorious sunshine and a Sunday when I made the trip).
We ended up staying at the Mercure in Garmisch mainly because they had a 24 hour reception (our flight landed a little later than yours) and they had family rooms. I did search around Worgl but couldn’t find anything suitable - maybe I need the above link!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank You. Hadn't thought about doing the Kufstein route. Last time we went to Solden we went over fern pass.

Just a pity you can't take a scheduled flight from Ireland to Innsbruck
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the Fernpass it does depend on weather and road conditions. If the autobahn is clear (as it is likely to be in the evenings) it is quicker, though longer, than the Fernpass route. There are often roadworks at the moment on the road through Munich and given unknown weather conditions between Garmisch and Imst (the road does occasionally get blocked in bad weather) the Autobahn can be a better option. Vignettes can be bought at any service station including the ones in Germany, you can be lucky and find one on your hire car when you collect it.

If you go via the Fernpass route Garmisch is not a bad place to stop, though it might be busy if it is good skiing weather / peak season, similar for Ehrwald / Lermoos . I have stopped here http://www.hotel-lamm.at/ in Tarrenz a few years back on a Friday night before going on to St Anton. It is directly on the road and would be a good spot to stop if you are planning to get to Oberguergl the next morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best just to do it one hop and get it done.

As above, it is only ~3hrs.

If you must stop, then stop south of Innsbruck.

Get up super-early and avoid any Munich or Innsbruck weekend traffic.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you really don't want to drive through I would say Garmisch is the best choice. If Fernpass is closed (very rare) then the chances are that Oetztal will be doubly closed and you won't be able to get to Obergurgl anyway.
Besides, from Garmisch you have three choices, Fernpass, Zirler Berg and Telfs to get you over to that side of the Inn valley.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, just doing my homework for next season, it will be end of March,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
have done Munich everyway over many years. you will know on the day what the driving conditions and make your decision then. If no snow and clear go Fernpass. if a bit dodgy go via autobahn. re accom just have booking.com ready on route and book last minute. as you travel it will show you whats close to where you are. if you are driving that late in the evening you will probably get much further than you think as roads will be quite. did it this way recently driving 500 km late from Frankfurt Hahn to Austria and got a place at 2am no bother and short hop to resort next morning
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avoid the Fernpass as it´s the first route to get blocked up. The borders on the motorway route by Kufstein too. Especially Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday all day, and Sunday mornings. And of course during snow storms.
The best route to take is through Munich to Garmisch Partenkirchen and then head to Seefeld (direction Innsbruck). Drive through Seefeld past the ski jumps and head down to Telfs (not direction Zirl). At Telfs you follow the route to Obergurgl via the motorway (if you have a motorway sticker), or the main road if not. It takes 3 to 3.5 hours on a normal run.

If you want to break the journey up I´d recommend driving beyond Seefeld into the Inn valley and staying somewhere there for the night. Try the Rafting Alm in Haiming on Booking.com or other small guesthouses near Haiming. Some offer one night of accommodation, but not so many.
Then you avoid the traffic on Saturday morning over the passes and only have a 1 hour drive to Obergurgl, so that you can ski the quietest day of the week Wink

For a completely hassle free journey then book a quality transfer. It´s worth the extra cost for a completely stress free holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Imst is quite a nice town, far more pleasant than it appears as you whizz past it on the transfer buses. Google gives a travel time of 2h 36m via Fernpass, and 3h via Innsbruck which, even in non-wintery conditions, is longer than the 90 mins you asked for.
The benefit would be on the Saturday morning travel into the resort - early breakfast, quick shop and you can be on the slopes by 10am Very Happy

It has decent supermarkets too, if you are self-catering.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy