Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt Après Ski

Poster: A snowHead
We’re (4 blokes in their 40s/50s) off to Zermatt for a few nights in March, any suggestions on where we should eat and drink? Apologies if this has been done before.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For apres - Hennu Stall is on the piste on one of the ways back and is fun, Papperla pub is great for live music when you have your skis off and is in town.

Mountain lunch restaurants are better than town evening ones IMO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Legend., thanks, I will make a note!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brown Cow pub (Hotel Post) in town is good in the evenings as is Hexenbar a couple of doors down
North Wall bar does decent pizzas and not expensive
Grizzly's bar also does good food - burgers are fab - and beers not too pricey
Grampi's Italian restaurant opposite Hexenbar is also reasonable

As above:
Hennu Stall is good but bottles only, no pints
Papperla good beers and live music
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always found Hennu stall, uninviting, and relatively dull. Prefer Cervo, on the bottom of the home run from Sunnega sector. In town it’s Papperla for live music, but make sure the full band is on. Hexen bar is nice but quieter. This is opposite Grampis Italian, which is our choice for the first night. But do book, particularly Saturday. Sparky’s, is rustic but really great Curry’s. Sparky is a bloke from the Channel Islands who has been there for years. A resident dog, so make sure you are ok with this.
On the mountain, where to start? This is the best place in the world for mountain restaurants, so make lunch your main meal IMO. First lift up, ski hard, late(ish) lunch and a light return home ski is what we do. ( bear in mind if this is Chalet Etoile you have a long way to go!)In order of preference for us:-
Findlerhof
Chalet Etoile ( Cervinia run 6)
Chez Vrony
Fluhalp ( live band at lunch on Sunday 2000 metres up)
Zum zee
Blatern
Bontadini ( Cervinia)

Bontadini is great, even if last on my list. We never take a self service option. They are all expensive but it’s a chunk of our holiday.

We have not found a bad mountain restaurant however.
Have a great time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fine list of restaurants there. You couldn't go wrong making your way down that list.

When Hennu Stall is good it's really good I find. Depends on the crowd. Cervo is normally nice but definitely quieter so depends when you are after. Depends on the day for me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You don’t say whether you prefer a quiet pint or like a buzzier kind of apres - but I would suggest the terrace at the hotel Schoenegg for the former - it’s a short walk/ski (depending on the snow conditions) down from where the run ends at Cervo. It has the most stunning views across Zermatt and to the Matterhorn and a real sun trap in Springtime. The Snowboat by the rail bridge and a few metres from the Sunnegga funicular station is also popular as is the new terrace at the Hotel Mama, which is opposite the Sunnegga funicular entrance.
The Hotel Perren, again near the Sunnegga lift station has a happy hour between 3 and 5 with really well priced drinks (for Zermatt!)
In addition to the well known names above for on mountain lunches, you could try Simi at Furi, Enzian and Adler in Findlen. Over in Cervnia the terrace restaurant at the Principe delle Nieve is also good if the other more well known ones are full.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@scotsgirl, pints with a buzzier atmosphere, although we’re not young! It sounds like we should make the most of our lunches and have our best meals up on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am surprised no-one has mentioned Harry's Bar in town. We often go there even though we probably prefer the Papperla or Hennu Stall.

One thing which can be nice to do is have your après up on the mountain, particularly as it gets closer to the spring. The Blue Lounge at Blauherd and the Ice Bar at Trockener Steg both have great outdoor areas (actually the "outdoor area" at the Ice Bar is simply the snow!). Both are close to lifts so you can just take the lift back into town and not risk the mix of alcohol and skiing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnMo, you’re right, Harry’s Bar is a good spot. I also agree about your on mountain apres suggestion. We still lament the passing of the Olympia Stubli on the last run down from Sunnegga which was a great spot especially in Spring time. The Blue Lounge is a reasonable substitute on that side.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JohnMo, @scotsgirl, blue lounge can be fantastic if they have live music, but you have the balance of live music, v better food elsewhere. Its tough! I have always been either in the Champagne bar on the way down or Cervo for the Harry's bar end. Must go in to Harrys this year. We will be in the Le Couronne again this year, which is next door but one to the Papperla, so that's where we inevitably end up. We have also eaten in the Snowboat, (downstairs) and that has been fine. It had a relatively cheap Argentinian Malbec for 54CHF, which is a million times better than Dole (the local red). Wine is very expensive - must be the tax I assume
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Legend., been a few times, I'm sure we have been unlucky, or perhaps too early? 4pm ish. It has a good reputation I am totally aware.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
@JohnMo, @scotsgirl, blue lounge can be fantastic if they have live music, but you have the balance of live music, v better food elsewhere. Its tough! I have always been either in the Champagne bar on the way down or Cervo for the Harry's bar end. Must go in to Harrys this year. We will be in the Le Couronne again this year, which is next door but one to the Papperla, so that's where we inevitably end up. We have also eaten in the Snowboat, (downstairs) and that has been fine. It had a relatively cheap Argentinian Malbec for 54CHF, which is a million times better than Dole (the local red). Wine is very expensive - must be the tax I assume

Oh, I agree. The Blue Lounge is not a foody place. It is just basic pub food really. I was talking about it as a place to do après, i.e. alcohol. The Cervo is good, particularly later in the season when at après it is still in the sun. Strangely despite skiing past that Champagne Bar scores of times I have never stopped at it. I must do so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
@Legend., been a few times, I'm sure we have been unlucky, or perhaps too early? 4pm ish. It has a good reputation I am totally aware.

Maybe unlucky, not quite sure. I've been a few times when it's been empty/boring but then others when great. Same with a lot of places I suppose. I think 4pm ish is about right though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JohnMo, @scotsgirl, my wine comments really for @Jonesj, who might find the wine cost out of all proportion to everything else! Appreciate you do not need the info
snow conditions
@Jonesj, p.s. I am now 62, and first went in my late 40's (when I could afford it). My comments therefore are suitably age related.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy