Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GVA vs LYS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all, I'm planning a long weekend trip in March - will either be Wed or Thurs to Monday somewhere in the middle of March, all very flexible to Val D'Isere. Now I know Val isn't ideal for long weekends due to transfer length, but it needs to be Val for various reasons.

I would normally drive, but again for a short trip I think we'll need to fly.

We have BA vouchers available, so it will be BA business and my default is to always look at Geneva. However the car hire prices seem to be through the roof from there, whereas Lyon they are much cheaper - talking £150 vs £800 - the vouchers would cover the flights and car from Lyon, but at those prices we'd probs look at a transfer from GVA!! Google maps shows the drive at roughly the same duration 2'45-3 hours.

So other than not getting default winterisation in Lyon, any opinions out there in comparing the two? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dunc999, if you can guarantee winterisation by paying a reasonable fee to hire at Lyon, I don’t think there’s much difference between the two airports.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't think why you wouldn't go LYS? More relaxing airport anyway and easy drive to Albertville.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dunc999, getting through passport control at GVA was a mare a few days ago as virtually no one had bothered to do their Swiss passenger locator form. lots of arguing at the desk and refusing to go to the back of the queue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£800 for car hire at Geneva, for a long weekend in March? Is that even when using the comparison sites?

I've currently got £269 for 10 days in January, for an intermediate size car. If you wait around, the prices will fluctuate and you might be able to improve on £800.

As you have said, travel times to the Tarentaise are similar, but you won't get winter tyres by default at Lyon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, yes it was with BA hire to start with but seemingly expensive across the board mid march. The whole trip to LYS inc car would be covered by BA voucher. Flip side is less flights so can't ski as much on Monday morning. Also hadn't considered hassle of two countries!
Thanks for the input!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of my trips to Val are long weekends. It's an hour longer to drive than some other ski resorts, hardly a deal breaker.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've booked in and out of LYS mainly to avoid 2 countries C-19 requirements. Compromise on flight times as there is limited flights in and out of LYS.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy