Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Patrol E1 AP 30 Supercapacitor Powered Electric Avalanche Airbag

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of product info/spam for those snowHeads who are in the market for an avalanche backpack.

The Product Bit:
The new Scott Patrol E1 AP 30 supercapacitor powered electric avalanche airbag hits the UK shops mid/end this October. I used a sample one last season and I had an additional one at the EoSB that a number of snowHeads tried. I'll also have one with me at the forthcoming snowHeads OktoberTests on the 6th/7th October.

The pack/E1 system is a great bit of kit and I've never had the amount of enquiries for a new product as I have had for this, which is amazing seeing as the new Salomon Shift binding is out soon. Here's the spec:

-
http://youtube.com/v/79fSZ63tuPs

- TUV certified
- Alpride E1 supercapacitor powered electric airbag system
- Removeable airbag/system so pack can be used by itself or the airbag/system can be used in a different size pack
- Totally ambidextorous & height adjustable trigger release (so perfect for lefties like me)
- Unrestricted for airline travel or shipping
- 2 x AA batteries gives an 'on the mountain' recharge in less than forty mins to enable a second inflation after repacking the bag
- Unlimited zero cost home practice
- Twenty mins micro USB charging
- Full charge held for three months
- Strong/durable 420D & 210D ballistic polyester 1500 & 1000 W/R construction
- Single handed operated safety buckles on hip & sternum straps
- Emergency whistle on sternum strap
- Waist buckle made from strong aluminium
- Ergonomically shaped back protector
- Fleece lined goggle pocket with exterior access
- Preshaped padded hip strap with safety leg strap, gear loop & pocket
- Inside map pocket with key holder
- Versatile diasy chain gear loops
- A frame or diagonal ski carry system
- Front snowboard carry
- Stow away ice axe/poles carry
- Shovel & probe sleeves
- Hidden hydration sleeve in shoulder strap (ambidextorous)
- SOS label with emergency instructions
- 30L usable volume with compression straps
- Height 60cm x width 28cm x depth 19cm
- Lightweight: Pack 1390g + Alpride E1 system 1280g = 2670g total
- One of the lightest avipacks on the market and over 700g lighter than any other electric powered pack on the market

Note that it's only available for the 18/19 season in the 30 litre (usable) pack size and for 19/20 they'll also be 22 litre and 40 litre versions as well. The 22 litre and 40 litre sizes will be available as a both full pack/E1 system or as a pack only into which your existing E1 system can be transferred in to.

Scott have the sole deal with Alpride on the E1 system for 18/19 so it's envisaged that other pack manufactures might also use the E1 system from 19/20 but nothing has been announced yet.

The Spam Bit:
Ok, yes I sell these, but this is a genuine heads-up to snowHeads that they really are selling like hot cakes and Scott have this morning put out an email to all dealers saying that all the production is now completely sold out and that only dealers that have pre-ordered will get any and that there will be no more this season. And this is without virtually any information about them being available so far and with Scotts planned marketing campaign not starting until the end of October. I've pre-sold all but a couple from my stock order already and all the other Scott dealers have done the same. Luckily I'd already managed to secure a few more to arrive mid/end Nov but that's all.

So if you fancy one my recommendation is to act quickly and hot foot it down to your local Scott dealer (wink) or you'll miss out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone interested in buying my used 10 weeks ABS Vario c/w carbon canister (full) to suit back size L, with black/ orange 18L rucksack over, Excellent condition and never deployed (apart from regular test).

I'm keen for the above Scott from Jon if I can sell my ABS for something like decent money.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah hah the canny yorkshireman trapped by the scouse shiny things purveyor again Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ah hah the canny yorkshireman trapped by the scouse shiny things purveyor again Laughing

It's not exactly a hard sell to someone who's a sucker for all things shiny Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing Nothing at all wrong with ABS but every time I go on holidays it feels like i've got to justify the system to the security at airport despite it being fully approved, the dimwits at security need training, its 2018 not 1988. Great when in the car but i'm flying this season so will leave in St Anton for use there if not sold by then in favour of the scouse purveyors shiny goods. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, Oi.....Thats Mr W not me......i'm more considered, he takes things into stock just in case he ever needs 4 of everything!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
@spyderjon, Oi.....Thats Mr W not me......i'm more considered, he takes things into stock just in case he ever needs 4 of everything!

That's a good point well made. I must thank him for single handedly paying off my mortgage!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, question re travel, and forgive the diversion. Is there a capacitor discharge/disable button or charge status as the cap's probably hold a fair whack when charged how long before the airlines class these as potential tazars as I guess it wouldn't take a great deal of effort to make them so?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ansta1, IIRC there's not a discharge button but there are charge status lights so it's not a problem travelling with them as you just charge it on arrival.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, they've been so popular that they sold out before they could set any aside for Scott employees (and families of employees Sad)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They seem to have missed "Twin Overhead Doubler" out of the catchy name - "Scott Patrol E1 AP 30 supercapacitor powered electric avalanche airbag".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A pity it hasn't got a flux capacitor, now that would really be something! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink,
Hold on! I'm pretty sure I can see a flux capacitor in there but it looks like most of its function has been replaced by the supercapacitor. Way of the world, I guess. Soon, the good, old reliable fluxies will be completely redundant!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
A pity it hasn't got a flux capacitor, now that would really be something! Toofy Grin

Would you set it to transport you back to before the avi' or forward to after it? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Would you have to get in a tuck and hit 88mph before it deployed?
latest report
@stuarth, Laughing
latest report
Had a good look at one last week and now I have a chance to take / test one on my forthcoming Siberian ski touring trip Nov 16 - but I still wonder if I might get travel hassle trying to explain to some Russian exactly what it is and is not and end up having to leave it in Abakan as they'll not let me on the flight with it, after probably having traveled out with it sans issue from UK to Moscow and then onwards to Abakan.

And after nightmare visa issues don't think I need the hassle.
ski holidays
E1 activation as modelled by Daishan

http://youtube.com/v/MLuAojfEztA
ski holidays
@spyderjon, what’s the main advantage over a Mammut/ABS?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, electric for ease of travelling, can be re-deployed several times in the field, more reliable tech and lighter than other electric bags.

Not quite as light as the lightest gas bags though, so if you're not fling with it, might be better to hold off for a season or two for weight and/or price to come down.

Really cool kit though - I was invited to the product launch in Lech last season, and got to test them (and try to keep up with one J Heitz Shocked) - and I think it will be the future of airbags.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
@BobinCH, electric for ease of travelling, can be re-deployed several times in the field, more reliable tech and lighter than other electric bags.

Not quite as light as the lightest gas bags though, so if you're not fling with it, might be better to hold off for a season or two for weight and/or price to come down.

Really cool kit though - I was invited to the product launch in Lech last season, and got to test them (and try to keep up with one J Heitz Shocked) - and I think it will be the future of airbags.

Thanks for confirming I definitely don’t need one next season!!! Good luck with keeping up with J Heitz - smaller and faster than he looks!
latest report
I took delivery of one of these from @spyderjon. Brought it out to Austria from Heathrow today and got pinged at the security scanner. After a quick discussion with the team was let through. No problems really. Had the instructions handy to explain what the pack was and what the super capacitor does.
snow conditions
It appears that Blackdiamond are selling their version earlier than expected (in the US at least), as I was just notified via the latest marketing email.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/jetforce-tour-26-BD681324_cfg.html#start=15
latest report
I can't get the link to work Sad

Edit: The second time worked a lot better. Go figure.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, I’m not sure I would have tried to take one of these as a cabin bag, even though you are allowed to. I’ve always put my Jetforce in my hold bag to avoid the risk of a poorly informed/trained security scanner operator.
snow conditions
scr wrote:
I can't get the link to work Sad

Edit: The second time worked a lot better. Go figure.

It might have been trying to force you back to the EU BD site which doesn’t list it yet, as they seem to be quite territorial Very Happy
ski holidays
@Markymark29,

still got that airbag for sale?
latest report
I thought I’d bump this, having just bought a couple of these airbags (either I like redundancy, or I like my wife, take your pick...).

It is seriously impressive - the weight and design is such that it feels no different to a conventional ski backpack. I know it’s 1kg heavier than my Dakine pack and 2kg more than my golite, but it doesn’t feel it. The pockets straps etc and general layout works very well for me. The size is very good, I could easily get an overnight setup in it.

Thanks to spyderjon for the heads up on these, and to Lockwoods for the usual excellent service and pricing (£30 SCGB membership saved me about £250 on the 2 backpacks!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, What's your take on annual test firing of gas canister airbags.

A good idea, not required or even potentially damaging ?
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., I used to but so long as it hasnt dropped below weight on cylinder it'll be OK, its unnecessary in my book.

(I'm sure there'll be loads who come on here and say its worth it and why wouldnt you etc etc, just saying thats my view, in advance - yes my life is worth more than £50 etc etc...... its a calculated risk wink )
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., I used to but so long as it hasnt dropped below weight on cylinder it'll be OK, its unnecessary in my book.

(I'm sure there'll be loads who come on here and say its worth it and why wouldnt you etc etc, just saying thats my view, in advance - yes my life is worth more than £50 etc etc...... its a calculated risk wink )

+1

But now I've got the supercapacitor pack it's a problem of the past Cool
snow report
@Markymark29, Cheers. It does seem a 50-50 thing.

@spyderjon, More stuff to buy....
snow report
I've just confirmed with Scott that the E1 is completely unchanged for 19/20 and I'll have stock from as early as next May as they're producing some early for the southern hemisphere market. As well as the 30 litre pack there will also be 22 litre and 40 litre versions both as a complete airbag system or as packs only in to which you can transfer the E1/airbag unit.
ski holidays
The US Black Diamond site has had their version of the Alpride E1 up for a couple of weeks, but it might just be click bait:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/jetforce-tour-26-BD681324_cfg.html#start=15

The EU Black Diamond site only has the Jetforce versions.
snow report
With the fan driven bags, what stops the air intake getting clogged with snow?
snow report
@bar shaker, The bags are designed with large mesh intakes for air supply, usually through the sides and back panel. But if the bag is so packed with snow that it cannot inflate, then the airbag was triggered too late. In any case there should be enough air in a free flowing avalanche to allow it to inflate.

In any case they are better than ‘gas’ airbags in this aspect, as most people don’t realise that the cylinder only supplies a third of the inflation, the rest comes from the Venturi effect sucking in air as the gas rushes into the airbag. Therefore any obstruction to the bag deployment (such as poor packing on some designs, or external restrictions such as strapped on equipment), will prevent the airbag fully inflating. The fan packs will keep trying to inflate for much longer than a gas airbag, and any temporary hinderance of the inflation will be overcome.

I’ve had failed test inflations on my ABS pack through poor packing on my part, which can’t happen on my Jetforce. I’ve also triggered my Jetforce while rolling around on the ground to test grabbing the trigger, and it has inflated with me effectively lying on it. I know the ABS wouldn’t have fully inflated in those circumstances.
snow report
anyone put their hands on the Jetforce to compare to the Scott? On the link above, it does show both sizes available. I didn't click all the way through, but the site allowed me to add each size to the cart, so it appears to be available at least in the US. Trying to decide whether to buy this one or wait a few months for the Scott 2019 production. The Jetforce is priced at a painfully high $1,119.95 (let's just call it $1200 shall we?).
latest report
@mr. mike, from chat on TGR I didn't think that the BD E1 was available yet but that might have changed. Scotts next production will be available in May (30L only) however I've delayed my stock delivery until August as Scott have made one slight change to the pack for 19/20 which won't be available until then and that's the addition of the same helmet net/carrier that's included on their gas powered packs. Everything else on the 19/20 Scott pack is the same as the 18/19 pack. The Scott 22L & 40L E1 versions (both the full system and packs only) will not be available until October.

I'd expect the 30L Scott E1 pack to be $800-825 in the US.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, it appears to have changed. There is even one for sale in TGR classifieds now. From what I can determine from online reviews, the Scott pack itself seems a bit better product, and, if your sense on pricing is in the ballpark, it seems worthwhile to just wait it out until next season. I'm probably only looking at a couple of off piste days this season anyway.
latest report
Has anyone swapped the trigger handle from left side to right? I can't quite work out how to do it, does the handle need to be separated from the trigger cable? can't see how you could get it through the top of the pack without.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy