Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

There will be snowBoards at OktoberTest!!

Poster: A snowHead
Assuming that is, anyone wants to try them...

K2 wrote:
there will K2 Snowboard & Ride Snowboard there with about 30-40 boards to try between the two brands…. WE will have something for almost any ability and size there really, including one juniors board haha.

How 'bout that then?
We've struggled to get anyone to bring boards in the past so it would be great if we can show enough interest that they become a regular feature!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Goody! Thank you. I will see if I can make Mr G interested. (Will you have ones for big and big-footed people, too?)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would love to be there but Clan Sideways will be no-shows this year due to calendar clash. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
While @admin may still be observing this thread, can I enquire if FamilyBash is being considered this year before I bust out the cash on St. Anton for what will probably be the same week?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having seen this, I'm now *quite* excited at the prospect of a Saturday night in Hemel!

I need to persuade @EmmaJ to let me out for the night first though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh ace, KeepUpMum and KeepUpDad will be v pleased indeed. We've not let them snowboard yet. Suspect hubby - MattressTester - will also want to have a go. Might even have a go myself for a laugh. See you at Hemel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
While @admin may still be observing this thread, can I enquire if FamilyBash is being considered this year before I bust out the cash on St. Anton for what will probably be the same week?

PreEoSB - 13 to 20 Apr
Good Friday- 19 Apr
EoSB 20 to 27 Apr

Therefore the extended EoSB will be over the Easter Holidays. I suspect this will attract families and one or both weeks become family Bashes. But not exclusively families. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ahh. OK will take a run at the numbers on that one the. Ta.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UK SHs bucking the trend?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seemingly not, it turns out Sad
It is frustrating that whenever we do a ski test, people ask, "Will there be any boards?" and when we finally do manage to get a decent number of boards to test... just 2 people sign up to try them. (None in Manchester Sad )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep. Shame as K2 have a good lineup and it's bloody hard to find good tryout days. Quite fancied having a go on their Cool Bean.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
Seemingly not, it turns out Sad
It is frustrating that whenever we do a ski test, people ask, "Will there be any boards?" and when we finally do manage to get a decent number of boards to test... just 2 people sign up to try them. (None in Manchester Sad )

I'd guess the problem is that if reps don't commit some time in advance you can't publicise the availability of boards therefore boarders can't plan in advance to attend, unless they attending for social reasons anyway. If I was able I'd be interested in taking a board or two out but the whole scooch, drag, scooch, strap in, skip on ice, unstrap (in a place safe enough that the funnel of death doesn't have an amateur hour skier careering into you, scooch cycle rather takes the joy out of boarding in a dome environment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suppose it's just the demographics of this place, although 4% snowboarders sounds low even so.

The Cool Bean looks like the old Burton Skipjack Surf from the specifications - perhaps not at its best indoors anyway.

Quote:
the whole scooch, drag, scooch, strap in, skip on ice, unstrap [...], scooch cycle rather takes the joy out of boarding in a dome environment.

wink Burton Step On?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
Burton Step On?

Yeah I'd come for a demo of those!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, @Richard_Sideways, I've got a K2 Kool Bean in 144 if you'd like to try. As said above though, not exactly the ideal board for a fridge...
snow report
@philwig, @Gainz Burton are doing a series of roadshow events in the UK with the new step on kit... But HH was last week. See Burton FB page for details...

Ta @leggyblonde we are seeing if our holiday schedule leads us to the PreEoSB this year.
latest report
@admin, With a bit more notice and definite knowledge that there would be enough boards to test of the right sizes and widths, then Mr G and I would both have attended the Manchester test (perhaps both as boarders) - but he didn't want to bother with the trip if there were only skis. Now that boards have been announced, we tried but it looks unlikely that we can make it as prior plans have used up too much time and we already made one Manchester trip recently.
Hopefully next year?
ski holidays
Well who knows?
I've been bugged most years to arrange boards. Usually, I just get snowBoard shops/suppliers trying to charge me to 'use' them rolling eyes
This time, K2 offered to bring a lot of kit and I posted as soon as I knew.
I mean, OK, they'll realise it was short notice 'n all so if we only got 8 or 10 boarders, they'd put a brave face on and 'build towards next time' but with 2 or 3 boarders between 2 venues, it's not exactly encouraging.

It's the same with snowBoard lessons on bashes: people complain we don't do them but when we do, we struggle to fill them.
Although we managed to scrape and press-gang a few together last season.

I thought I might have a word with the organisers of SCUK and plug the opportunity there but their forum seems to have died Shocked
It's covered in spam and there's hardly been a legit post in months.
Is snowBoarding over?
Is it time for 'snowBoarding's not DEAD!' t-shirts
.. which of course, are a sure sign that something's dead
ski holidays
If you want to the 'community' then you could try going down to the freestyle evenings at HH and try to drum up some interest.
SCUK is pretty much dead - I canned my pay membership there a few years ago. You could also try getting in contact with Duncan [Dunx] see if he has a contact route through to the main membership.
snow conditions
admin wrote:
...I've been bugged most years to arrange boards. ... Is snowBoarding over? ..

Is snowBoarding over? Industry numbers tend to be guarded.
However this is easily available and likely to be impartial, albeit US based and that's "participants" not "days ridden" etc.
If you analyze those numbers then:
  • in 1996/7 (left hand side) we were at 16%
  • the peak was 27% in 2009/10 (also a peak in total participation)
  • in 2016/17 (right hand end) we were at 26%
It's surprisingly steady, considering the vast change in marketing over the years. The answer would appear to be "no" - put the T-shirt printing on hold.

---
Getting bugged
I'd guess that your demographic probably has significantly fewer snowboarders than 26%, and that "time wasting" is a trait shared equally by both groups.
As the snowboarder group is so small, the effects of time wasting is going to affect that disproportionately.

There may be other issues, for example:
  • None of my own snowboards could sensibly be "tested" indoors. Powder and race boards aren't designed for that use, or those speeds.
  • Many snowboarders may be less "equipment sensitive" than skiers. If you don't carve, so long as the board's small and flexible its precise characteristics don't matter much.
snow report
I think in terms of the OktoberTest, it's a bit chicken and egg, similar to the snowboard SOPiB group. It's too late for me this year but if there will be boards, I would be very interested next year!
ski holidays
Is snowboarding over? Every time that I've been to a UK dome in the past few years there's been as many if not more boarders (and some pretty good ones at that; better than me anyways, which ain't that difficult...) than skiers. In Braehead last week there were several lots of boarding beginner to intermediates lessons going on too: both genders, late teens to late 20s I'd say. A lot of non-lesson diy learners at Chill Factore a few weeks before. At Yad Moss there are a good few too, even with the long tow.
Observation is that the competent to good boarders are on the more mature side, however. So maybe they already have their kit, and those testing it out or enjoying holiday boarding will continue to rent: though if they stay at it, no reason why they wouldn't buy as much as skiers do. Maybe you can get away with one all purpose board, but I think that's the same as saying skiers will have only 1 set of skis. The technicians, experts and serious enthusiasts (and well-heeled) will expand and vary their quiver according to conditions.
latest report
leggyblonde wrote:
I think in terms of the OktoberTest, it's a bit chicken and egg,
You would say that because you're 1eggyblonde Wink
ski holidays
@admin, cluck you Toofy Grin
snow report
Sadly we're away this weekend and can't make the Manchester test (I attended a couple of years ago and had an excellent afternoon). OH is a snowboarder and would definitely have been interested too! Fingers crossed for next year...
snow conditions
Late to the party. I missed the Hemel OktoberTest as I was dragged kicking and screaming into a tent to drink beer all night, served by ladies dressed as Bavarians.
Life is sometimes very cruel Little Angel
However the board test nights I have done in the past were great fun. Were I not double booked, I'd have been there for sure.

Phil is right of course, we do also need to get the domes to supply nipple-deep powder, so we can properly assess powder boards.
I have photos of the Hemel snowmakers creating pillows. So if they say it's not possible, they are of course liars. wink
latest report
Oh hell, if they could have a session of powder boarding even if I would need to get up at 6am and pay more I would be there.
ski holidays

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And was it soft? On a slope that mellow you'd have penetration issues if there was any depth to it. Maybe if they had some kind of cable tow down hill, or a big spring at the top or something.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy