Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WANTED – BMW Winter Tires and/or Rims

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a friend …

BMW 2 Series 22d M Sport
Front - 225/40/R18
Rear - 245/35/R18
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too skinny for a decent winter tyre. Get smaller rims thicker tyres.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Too skinny for a decent winter tyre. Get smaller rims thicker tyres.

Happy good one Happy
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your input
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look on Tyre Leader, or if you've got a Costco card they do some epic bargains on winters. I got a set for my Cooper S fitted for £230.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
careful on rims for M sport BMW's they arent always the same as non M sport. I have an M Sport X5 and normal X5 rims didnt work out.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the pointers (and wise cracks rolling eyes ) I'll pass the word on
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend had, on 18"wheels, michelin crossclimate tires and driven areas covering Spain to Sweden through all the seasons without any issues at all. He's never needed to use chains or snowsocks either.

They've honestly exceeded any expectations we had when we originally discussed what choice he should make.

May offer a route to consider.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dvb wrote:
Thanks for all the pointers (and wise cracks rolling eyes ) I'll pass the word on

It was a semi serious point. At 35% aspect ratio the tyre is about 85mm tall which means you don't need to be in deep snow before it is grabbing at the alloy itself. That plus tyre choice and availability in rubber band sizes can be limited.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
dvb wrote:

It was a semi serious point. At 35% aspect ratio the tyre is about 85mm tall which means you don't need to be in deep snow before it is grabbing at the alloy itself. That plus tyre choice and availability in rubber band sizes can be limited.

^ +1
As Dave of the Marmottes implied it's common practice when selecting alternative winter tyres/wheels to go for smaller wheel size and higher aspect ratio tyres for the reasons stated.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, You can go narrower too. I have 205 winter tyres on steel rims and 225 summer on alloys. I checked the handbook before buying my current car to check what wheel sizes were approved for it.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs, agreed.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow chains cannot be fitted to some cars unless you go for narrower winter tyres.
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dvb,

I have some that may suit, I have sent you a PM
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OP: I have a 2 Series M235i and wrote a 2 Series Guide to Winter Wheels, Tyres & Chains which is at

https://www.babybmw.net/howtos/Winter%20Wheels%20Guide%202%20Series%20v3.pdf

As mentioned, be very careful if you have M Performance brakes as the larger callipers limit the choice of BMW and 3rd-Party wheels.

Look first at what your Owners Manual says is the size for winters to fit your model. Then also contact your BMW Service Dept., give them your VIN, and ask what specifically they would offer - including part numbers. This will then set you up to judge what's on offer from anyone selling on the Web or independent suppliers. Your model type and year aren't enough for you to be sure if what's being offered will fit.

As mentioned, the usual practice is to recommend roughly 1" less diameter wheels, the same size all round, and 20mm less tyre width. So for example, 18" goes down to 17" all round and 245mm goes down to 225mm.

On my M235i my winter setup is 7.5Jx17 alloys from Wolfrace and Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3 225/45-17 winter tyres. On my previous 3 Series I had the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II which I'd say were better in warmer conditions, but not quite as good as the S3s in snow. I've also had Michelin and Vredestein winters on previous cars, all of which were good. The M Performance brakes meant the wheel choice (both BMW and 3rd party) was more limited - there were a number of people on eBay who would have been quite happy to sell me wheels that would not have fitted a 2 Series with M Performance calipers.
snow conditions     
@LaForet excellent guide! thankyou.
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy