Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring

Poster: A snowHead
Very quickly... what is it? Ta.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Charliegolf, walking uphill on skis with freeheel bindings and sticky 'skins' underneath.

Used to get to places that lifts do not reach, or simply as a fun fitness exercise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OMG, body-swerve then! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or an excuse to drink in every hut on the way up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's something crazy people who are too tight to buy a lift ticket do.

http://youtube.com/v/25y2ZbTroxY

http://youtube.com/v/yipAOf9ZweI

http://youtube.com/v/43ShX30dDfc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charliegolf wrote:
OMG, body-swerve then! Very Happy

no body swerve, its a delightful feeling getting in the skinning rhythm zig zaging to the summit heart pumping sweating a snack at the top then skiing some pow or corn
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm getting my touring set up this year. This will be my second attempt. My 1st was bought not knowing anything about it. I got sold a pair of last seasons Fisher Ranger 98 freeride skis and as they have a slot on the bottom of the Ski tale for touring Skins , the keen sales manager encouraged me to put last seasons touring bindings on, just in case, in the future, I might like to tour. So why not.. The prices was writing
Long story short they didn't work for me, they were heavy frame bindings, set up in the wrong position on the Ski for me. They were horrible.Didnt ski at all well and I had no intention of touring at that time.
Fortunately i found Jon https://www.thepisteoffice.com/ who set up my skis properly and I swapped the binding to standard Alpine bindings and chose a more suitable position.
A couple of years later and the
http://youtube.com/v/RgpzJeIjVDU Salomon Shift binding is out and now I've got into Off Piste skiing I'm keen to give it a go. Mainly for what the Canadians call Slackcountry touring. Just getting off the lift and maybe wanting to go that little bit further up, maybe a 20 or 40 minute climb. And if I'm not that into it then I'm not left with a compromised set up, as ultimately for me it's all about the decent. So fingers crossed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski touring is huffing and puffing your way up to a pass on skins. When you get there, you can look back at the ski area you've just left... all those dots are people! You can then look at an equally large area to ski in, which is empty... Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get a pass...just saying!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do both (like me) - ie enjoy both lift-assisted skiing and touring Very Happy.

Two completely different things though - ski touring is more like a good hike in the mountains (or even the hills of England wink) with the bonus of a ski descent instead of a walk down. Mrs MA and I get about 20 ski days each winter in the North Pennines, Lakes and Scotland on days when the ski lifts are shut - most years we're ski touring in Scotland into June.

The remoteness/wilderness aspect of a multi-day ski tour, staying in refuges, in the Alps is just amazing. And you can get the wilderness experience off the back or sides of the ski areas in Scotland.

Go on! Give it a go! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 @mountainaddict. (On my deathbed, it'll be that week in the Stubai I remember Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you like hillwalking then you'll probably like touring. Some exercise, great views, an element of self sufficiency etc. but with (usually) a cracking bit of downhill skiing afterwards.

If you don't like hillwalking, you probably won't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you like hillwalking then you'll probably like touring. Some exercise, great views, an element of self sufficiency etc. but with (usually) a cracking bit of downhill skiing afterwards.

If you don't like hillwalking, you probably won't.

Exactly. The overall experience has more in common with hillwalking* than resort skiing.
(*or mountaineering if you are adventurous)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Summed up perfectly by @mountainaddict,

A good mountain hike with the added bonus of a ski down to finish! Very Happy

It's the wilderness experience that does it for us. You can't beat having a ski run to yourself!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Glenmore Lodge vid - he uses 'ski mountaineering'. Is that term interchangeable with touring?

I've always been a bit wary of the Eagles as they ski mo. Is it semantics with no practical difference (i.e. I won't need a rope)?
ski holidays
@Val Desire, in the Glenmore Lodge video the terms are not interchangeable. He sets out a simple hierarchy from rolling Nordic skiing, through touring, to ski mountaineering. As a climber I would take the latter to mean the use of (and proficiency with) an axe and crampons on steep ground as a minimum. Ropes and other paraphernalia would depend on the technicalities of the up.

As for the Eagles, and what they mean. Who knows? I would guess their website might provide examples of what is required for different levels of tour.
snow conditions
It's just another way to exercise ones dogs isn't it?

http://www.stylealtitude.com/powder-hounds.html
ski holidays
@Val Desire, the Eagles do everything from totally mellow day tours to exploratory ski mountaineering

There isn’t really a clear definition between ski touring and ski mountaineering. I think of the divide as being whether you need climbing techniques as part of the uphill but that’s just my personal definition
ski holidays
@Arno, if I have to take a harness, axe, crampons be roped in, rapel etc then to me at least that is ski mountaineering.

Not something I do without a guide, and hard to take the dogs too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If you can take your dog it’s touring, if you can’t it’s mountaineering
latest report
@Arno, brilliant Smile
snow report

snow conditions
Arno wrote:

So what's "randonnee", is that when you take cheese sandwiches?
ski holidays
@DB, as you probably know, picnics & thermos are all part of relaxing touring Cool

I'm forever motivated / inspired when I come across French couples, well into their mid / late 70's enjoying a nice picnic before their descent.
snow report
Been doing Backcountry skiing for over 3 decades, silly me I thought it was all about the untouched powder.
snow report
@pinhead,

Classic ski touring in the Alps is more about bagging peaks and skiing down them before the spring snow goes to slush than untracked powder. Of course sometimes you get lucky.
snow report
Quote:

Great definition Very Happy
For some reason it makes me think about the feather and the whole chicken but that's probably just my mind on a friday afternoon
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
@Val Desire, the Eagles do everything from totally mellow day tours to exploratory ski mountaineering

There isn’t really a clear definition between ski touring and ski mountaineering. I think of the divide as being whether you need climbing techniques as part of the uphill but that’s just my personal definition

I'd agree with that - but when it's abbreviated to skimo I think rando racers in spandex Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
+1 mountainaddict (On my deathbed, it'll be that week in the Stubai I remember )
Great stuff Jude1 - what a week it was!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I reckon there are 3 different ways to distinguish between ski touring and ski mountaineering.
1. Technical difficulty of ascent (and maybe descent if it involves abseiling)
2. Overall aims, especially if the use of skis is only part of the trip - e.g. if the aim is to ascend a peak, and you can do the approach on skis, but need to then climb, you could describe the whole trip as ski mountaineering, but you probably wouldn't call it ski touring
3. When racing, as it's always referred to ski mountaineering (or skimo) when racing, probably because ski touring racing is a bit of an oxymoron
snow report
@clarky999, plus One

And have you ever seen some SkiMo competitors on their descent Laughing

Though hardly surprising given what they are actually skiing on.

We have a massive annual event near here and the guys are seriously quick on the "UP" but.............

Think maybe 20 or so years ago could have been a sport I could have got into.
ski holidays
So, in summary...…..
If you're a decent faffer, by the time you've sorted the skins, layers, sunscreen, packed lunch, dogs, more layers, water proof gear (just in case),the dog's lunch, avi kit, (did I mention layers?) the lifts will have closed. So don't forget a headtorch.

Then your on your way. Good tempo and you start to get warm so you stop to remove some layers. but your bag is full of maps, flask, lunch, dogs lunch, layers, that you end up wrapping stuff around your waist. Meet & chat to an old French couple. Carry on. Have lunch but you realize that it's more like supper time. Finally it's time to enjoy yourself. WHERE'S THE *** HEADTORCH?

That would be me to a "T" Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, just for you Laughing

http://www.stylealtitude.com/fafffactor.html
snow report
Just to get us stoked for the upcoming touring season ….

http://youtube.com/v/6tJqvbh-GNA
snow conditions
@DB, chuffing Nora, those boys can ski, and they seem to be having a nice time.
latest report
@DB, Great vid Smile I feel a Churchill dog "Oh yes!!" coming on.
latest report
This vid in our back yard pretty well encompasses nice sedate Spring ski touring, except no picnics.

And good views of La Grave / La Meije (1:21 - 1:26)

http://youtube.com/v/o6GFORFxMas
snow conditions
This one from up the road here is very much one for the ski touring / ski mountaineering debate.... Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/fMBAKcwbQ5I
latest report
F'cin nutters Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@gvj,

It's skiing, Jim, but not as we know it. Awesome!
The exposure both on the uphill and downhill is extreme - oh, to have the ability to ski that! On the other hand, if you ski often enough with that sort of exposure, eventually, you will die...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy