Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solutions for Cold Children

Poster: A snowHead
I have a 6 year old daughter who gets very cold on the slopes, which obviously affects her enjoyment greatly and it's a rare day when she'll stay out for over 2 hours and she'll also skip a few days totally.
So I'm looking for suggestions of any kit I can buy her, fleeces, thermals etc. which are better than the norm at keeping kids warm.
Last year there were days when she got cold wearing 7 layers on her upper body, 4 on her lower, as well as a buff and hand warmers in her boots and gloves.
She currently wears Spyder jacket and salopettes, Burton inner jacket and fleece, then a mix of Mountain Warehouse fleeces and thermals.
I need to buy her new stuff for this season as she has grown, so I'm looking for recommendations for really warm gear. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski at easter would be my first recommendation.

Then secondly look at some warmer thinner layers, merino wool long sleeve tops with thermal base layers (under armour do thin layers with a brushed inner which traps heat https://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/technology/coldgear.html_ and maybe a down jacket?? I can't help thinking 7 layers on her upper body would actually be less beneficial than fewer warmer layers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handwarmer sachets definitely help. Good mittens rather than gloves. I would suggest thin inner gloves too if you can get them small enough, though my guess is, that at 6 years old, they might easily get lost.
Adult friends speak very highly of "boot gloves" to help cold toes. They are neoprene covers which go over the outside of ski boots. apparently they really help with cold toes; here's a link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpenheat-Ski-Boot-Gloves-Ski-Boot-Covers-CHOICE-SIZES-/221932234076?var=

Tiny people will always get colder sooner (less mass and more surface area!). Hopefully things will improve as she gets bigger
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

ski at easter would be my first recommendation

This
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And avoid windy places - ski in the trees, lower slopes. Wind chill makes everything much worse. Gondolas rather than chair or draglifts, if possible. Or those nice places where there are canopies and sometimes warm seats, on chair lifts. IME kids vary enormously. One of my nieces felt the cold terribly but was a tough little girl (she's now a tough big girl, d thinks nothing of losing toenails running half marathons and is currently cycling, having qualified as a GP, along the Canadian coast). Her brother was always hot, would never keep hats on (before helmet days) and always had his coat undone and flying in the wind.

Frequent hot chocolate stops get expensive!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kitenski - We ski every month of the season and obviously Easter is less of a problem. I couldn't see much on the UA website, but I'll check out there store when I'm in New York next month.
Perty - Yes she uses hand warmers and Hestra mitts. The neoprene covers don't go small enough for her, although I do use them and they help but I still get cold feet. Hopefully she will improve as she gets bigger, but her older brother is only slightly bigger than her and he has never had a problem.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you asked which parts get cold?
Is it possible she suffers from Raynaud's Syndrome?
It might a case of only her extremities are getting cold, but she is associating as being all over.
My partner suffers from hit & she doubles up on socks & gloves, yet still feels it as the condition restricts blood flow to the feet & hands in order to supply the organs first.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whilst all kids differ, 7 layers and still cold... Something doesn't seem right.

Does she suffer from feeling cold when not skiing?

What are the 7 layers?

I think there is only so much the layering you can do before it becomes counter productive - as it will be too compressed to trap air and will restrict movement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To clarify, last season I wore 6 layers and still got cold, so I think she takes after me. She gets cold all over.
We ski in the PDS and generally only in Morzine at the cold times of year, so we can't get much warmer and still be on snow.
So I'm looking for any recommendations for warm brands etc, not tactics to manage the experience. She's generally very tough and doesn't really moan about it, she just doesn't like skiing much as a consequence.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My kids and I wear Helly Hansen Lifa Merino or Devold Duo Active base layers. Both are very warm.

Norrøna Trollveggen Fleece

And I’m eyeing this Norrøna Lofoten Primaloft Jacket for my 8 year old but the price is too much. I have an older adult version which I’m very pleased with. Matching Pants here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More food, down jacket, wool balaclava. Make sure layers aren't too tight and restricting blood flow and/or compressing the insulation. Really good wicking base layers (in that case probably synthetic rather than wool) in case she's actually sweating and then getting chilled when wet.

FWIW my warmest non-down piece is an older version of the Norrona Trollveggen fleece linked to above.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@doddsie, at what sort of temperatures is she feeling uncomfortably cold?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She must run very cold indeed (is her regular temp lower than most...my other half runs very cold, and struggles and so wears loads of layers, far more than me) I ask this as we ski very close to you, Grand Massif, and my girls have skied in all conditions since they were 3.5 years of age. I started them with silk inner liners - that never ever came off, even when snacking - then fleece wrist warmers, like fingerless gloves, base layer, fleece, velvet body warmer and jacket, base layer long johns, fleece balaclava/neck warmer under the helmets so kept the core and the extremities warm. But when they got to about 6 they were moving about so much I had to reduce the layers. Sounds like she skies a lot, so assume not much standing around? I think that you might need to look at the stuff worn in the USA / Scandinavia /Russia where they have to deal with much lower temps that you'd normally experience in PDS, as she must need much more warmth than most 6 year olds.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, the secret to a warmer base layer is a brushed inside which traps warm air. My daughter used the under armour stuff for hockey training in the winter. I'm pretty sure others do something similar. Hopefully you'll be able to find something on your trip.

Any down jacket would be warmer as well, but not so good in wet snow so you'd need a waterproof layer to go on top. This maybe a bit ott for a growing 6 year old!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@doddsie, can you tell me what 6 layers consist off? Real question, I can get to 5
Base layer
Merino base layer
Merino mid layer
Body warmer type thing
Insulated jacket, which I'm assuming you need size up.
Is it not difficult to move with all those layers on?
snow conditions
Boot heaters works wonders for my kids.

The alpenheat boot covers come in a pretty small size, they certainly fit my daughters 19.5 mondo boots quite well. When it’s really cold she uses them in conjunction with the heaters.
snow conditions
Spoon - thanks for the recommendations, I think it may be a problem I need to throw some money at judging by those links.
Clarky999 - No she doesn't sweat, but she definitely could do with eating more, I think that's definitely part of the problem.
PeakyB - Anything below 5c becomes an issue.
Cheesie168 - Not sure about her temp, I think she's normal, although I know I run 2c below average. Haven't tried silk liners, so will give them a go, we've tried most things over the last few years and she's spent at least 16 weeks skiing, so she's no standing around.
Kitenski - I'll look into the UA stuff, it'll come in handy for her hockey this winter as well. Although Spoons links might be worth saving for the slopes or when it's really cold. I've started looking for a down jacket, but have only found a couple suitable for skiing and they aren't that thick.
Jonny996 - std vest, technical base later, wool thermal, top of salopettes which is basically a really thick gillet, fleece, thermal hoodie, jacket. Yes she looks like the Michelin man.
Snowdave - yes boot heaters sound a good idea, I'm not convinced about the boot covers, although I do use them.
latest report
A different suggestion - I have a heated back wrap (to prevent a sore back while standing in cold showjumping arenas teaching, not skiing!) and one of the benefits is it keeps you warm too. Heated clothing is expensive and might not come in small enough sizes but a wrap should just wrap further round.

Try blazewear.com

They also do heated glove liners which I've recommended on here for years.
latest report
@doddsie, this sounds quite extreme - I have no experience as my son and his friends don’t seem to feel the cold. But it seems no amount of clothing is doing the trick, and I’d be concerned that more expensive clothing won’t be significantly bettter. I have Hestra mitts, which are brilliant, but still if it’s really cold I can feel it. Personally, I’d be looking for electric heating wherever possible. But things you can use for a few season - electric heated waistcoat rather than jacket, heated socks etc. Fingers crossed you find a good solution.

P.S. In Scandinavia, the kids are not wearing anything particularly special. Most have standard insulated jacket and pants from the main sport shop chains like intersport, stadium, and XXL.
snow report
Have a look at Uniqlo, there are stores in London and on line. It's a Japanese store with really good heat tech base layers and very inexpensive.
ski holidays
just stumbled across these whilst looking for some shoes Smile Looks like the skins one (maybe too big??) and the Canterbury one have the brushed liner I was talking about.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/z/junior/z/tops/

and North Face seem to do a jacket that says it keeps you warm even if wet... https://www.gaynors.co.uk/childrens-c18/insulated-jackets-c94/the-north-face-childrens-reversible-perrito-jacket-p7497
snow report
Thanks for the further recommendations, I will research the electric route as well, although I’m wary as I have electric gloves that are neither very warm or reliable.
snow report
I would say:
Mittens not gloves
Inner liners for mittens
Little hotties for mittens
Wrist gaiters/warmers. Several jackets have them built in nowadays and IMO they make a big difference
boot warmers
Making sure socks are dry, any sweat is a disaster
Little hottie foot warmers/handwarmers worn elsewhere in body
ski holidays
As they said, plus a belaclava under her helmet.
Also, make sure her boots are thoroughly dried each night. I slip heaters into socks before putting them into my daughters mittens so that they aren't too hot and last a little longer.
ski holidays
For me (female, feels the cold), staying warm is all about closing the gaps and keeping hands and feet warm. I've found that having a jacket that zips onto trousers to really help keep the cold out. I have Norrona lofoten jacket and trousers for this. Also the same for around the neck - I try and buy fleeces with thin / tight fitting hoods that can go under a helmet. My best purchase for this has been a Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee (its a light weight fleece). This is much warmer than a buff. No idea if they make these for kids. However living in Finland these tricks (plus the already stated liners + mittens) have kept me warm pretty effectively. Also many kids here (even older ones) have the all-in one outer layer which if nothing else keeps the snow / moisture out. Reima is a pretty popular kids brand here.
snow report
snow report
@doddsie, with some high end excptions, wasted on kids, it’s not about brands it’s about fabrics, fit and functions.

E.g. “standard” fleeces are pretty generic and probably come out of the same factory.
snow report
@doddsie, check she had a proper breakfast including porridge, extremities suffer when the body pulls heat back to the core. When I see families at breakfast frequently the kids don’t seem to fuel up - could be a factor?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, Sports Direct have great deals on Under Armour Cold Gear. I've bought multiple sets and sizes to do my son for the next 2-3 years. Generally he will ski with the UA Cold Gear Base Layer and then a Gelert Atlantis Micro Fleece with a Spyder or Colmar jacket. On his legs he has UA Cold Gear leggings and Spyder/Colmar salopettes. He also has the option to add a Nevica Vail Zip between the UA and Gelert. This is similar material to the UA Cold Gear (synthetic materail with a brushed inner fleece).

For the past few years I bought all his layers from Sports Direct. The Gelert Micro Fleeces are great value at £4.79 each and the Nevica Vail tops are £4.80.
latest report
Hot Boots and Gloves when you start. Check Helmet vents also. Our 8 year old complained of freezing when she got in after a day in her new ski outfit - discovered all vents still open from when we had tried it on for size indoors...

+ 1 for Uniqlo layers and Ultra Light Down.
snow conditions
By the way , you say you stay low in the valley ? Early season there is often temperature inversion that makes it much more pleasant higher (subject to wind and cloud).
snow conditions
@doddsie, are you in the US?

Eat your heart out: https://www.patagonia.com/shop/kids-skiing-snowboarding?start=0&sz=36#tile-17
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
+ 1 for Uniqlo layers and Ultra Light Down.

It is cheap but the there is a reason for that (down quality and ethics of their supply chain)
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@doddsie, check she had a proper breakfast including porridge, extremities suffer when the body pulls heat back to the core. When I see families at breakfast frequently the kids don’t seem to fuel up - could be a factor?

+1, if she doesn't eat much then that could be a real factor.

Does she actually like skiing? Is it possible she's complaining about the cold when in truth she just doesn't want to be there?

IME layering doesn't work unless you're doing it right, at times I've been out walking with two pairs of socks but all it really does is restrict blood flow and I get cold feet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy