Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Autumn Rollerskiing 2018 thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As there seem to be a few rollerskiers on Snowheads I thought I'd start a thread on it, following up from the summer Biathlon training post: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138842#3276844

Yesterday I went up to la Feclaz in the Bauges mountain range in the French Savoie above Chambery. I've not been here to ski in the "summer" before. Again we had 30C+ temperatures in the valley but the plateau at around 1100 meters was 26C, almost chilly with a little breeze from the North. I spoke with the manager who told me about the circuits, a green flat dumbell around the shooting range, 2 blues, a red and a black. The black I know from winter, it is a steep descent finishing in a hairpin but there is an escape route down a drive and passed a chalet. Here's a bit of film to give you an idea. According to Da Strava 22.5km covered and around 550meters of climbing... and descent !

http://youtube.com/v/t3Fq9khstbM

There are two blue loops. The largest one ends with a long downhill and either a left or right hander. The right hander takes you back to the stadium and you can take it at a good speed. The left hander leads to the red and black. The manager told me that the red was not hard but to bleed some speed on a small flat in the middle of the downhill. He was not wrong as the first time down I had a bit of a panic that I wouldn't make it round the tightening left hand bend and indeed I missed the fork to the red and ended up coming to a halt with a "snowplough" just before the black. The smaller blue joins the descent about half way down and is a good starting loop although there is still quite a bit of hill. The red has more climbing but apart from the entrance it rejoins the larger blue without a difficult corner, so to some extent is easier. Unlike the randomness of cyclepaths and the road rollerski courses are well thought out and descents end in climbs so are generally safe to tackle without trying to brake and the run-offs are fairly benign although I wouldn't want to test a crash at speed.

Entrance is 4.5 euros for adults but it makes an interesting change as you have rolling terrain to ski on with some nice curves to work on technique. After you get used to the course you can whizz around without having to worry about 1) cars, 2) aggressive cyclists and dogs coming up behind 3) where the downhill is going. The circuits are 4.5km but through shaded woods it doesn't get boring to spin around for a couple of hours. Annecy Dragons ski club were training at the same time I was there but the pistes are wide with plenty of room to pass (for them).

I filmed the French national championships last autumn on the same circuit where you can see the black, the pros make it look easy

http://youtube.com/v/btFOQEpZm1c
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That was interesting. I have to confess, I'd never heard of that before. Do the ski's work in the same way as snow skis. As in could you carve down a steep hill?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy