Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
bug, the Le Chable apartment we were interested in isn’t available. Would La Tzoumaz be a viable option? Are there bars and restaurants there? Would it be possible to have a few apres drinks in Verbier and still get back to the hotel??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say Le Châble and La Tzoumaz (LTZ is easier) are sort of equivalent in terms of 'O,K but not central Verbier' and time to get to, say Ruinettes. Nendaz is a fairly big and busy place, but the big downside is (still) the links to/from the rest of the area.

Yes, LTZ has various bars and restaurants. Younger bars would be the T-Bar and Big Ben. But the Farinet they aren't. My son (30) and his friends did a night out in Verbier from La Tzoumaz, where they went home early then caught the télécabines up/down in clubbing attire. But even they got a bit fed up by 3am and got a taxi back (think £45 each for 4!). Here's the Tourist Office page for bars. For some reason they also list the the 'Central TBar' in Verbier - not to be confused with the La Tzaoumaz T-Bar. Upside will be that prices should be lower compared to central Verbier.

http://www.latzoumaz.ch/fr/station-infos-pratiques/restauration/bars-discotheques/bar-discotheques-listingm-s0-rb3-rb2-rb1-rb5-rb6.html

As a guide, our 68m² two-bedroom (1x twin, 1x bunk) apartment about 8 mins clomp from the télécabine is CHF 1,450 for New Year Week (the most expensive week of the season, obviously). Here's a link to our agency page for all the 2-bedroom properties to give you an idea. Note that in CH the 'No rooms' includes the living room, so 2 bedrooms is '3 rooms'. This price is typical for anywhere to comfortably sleep 4 within walking distance of the lift, bars and shops. Also remember that the Swiss tend to give you space at the cost of separate bedrooms, compared to France, so the living area of a Swiss 2-bedroom place is probably a bit more generous than it would be in France. You'd usually expect one underground or sheltered parking space and central heating and hot water for this sort of rate. Beyond the m², prices are very sensitive to nearness to the télécabine, and to an extent exposed vs garaged parking. Blocks like La Foret, Bellevue, Diana and Mont-Parrain are relatively near to the gondola, while Nevada is just a bit further away, but they're all walkable.

https://www.carron-immobilier.ch/en/component/osproperty/?property_type=2&category_id=8&fields=&option=com_osproperty&task=property_advsearch&Itemid=312&show_advancesearchform=0&searchmoduletype_id_1=1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C7&searchmoduletype_id_2=1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C5%2C7&searchmodulefield_ids=

LTZ isn't as convenient by train as Le Chable - about 2½ hours from the Geneva Airport station if you time the connections right. More a case that you'd probably want to get into GVA by 10:30 to avoid having to hang around for connections between Riddes station and LTZ, where there tends to be a gap of about 4 hours early afternoon. You'd get a train GVA->Martigny, Change to a local to hop Martigny->Riddes then either a bus Riddes->LTZ or an attractive télépherique up to Isérables, and a bus Isérables->LTZ. Coming home, you'd catch a bus to the Riddes station direct, 8am or 9am. But take a look at the timetable on www.sbb.ch/en
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surferrosa wrote:
Would it be possible to have a few apres drinks in Verbier and still get back to the hotel??

Alas no, it’s in another valley and requires a bus from Medran/Carrefour and then an unreliable old gondola and long ski down (usually icy at the bottom) to get back. Le Chable much better for Verbier, even if you need to get gondola down. You can après up on the mountain or in town and get gondola down with bus as an additional option if you want to stay up for dinner
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd concur with BobInCH - you'd not be staying in Verbier for après-ski drinks and then going to anywhere other than back down the mountain to Le Châble. If you're in Verbier for the evening then your only options are Verbier itself, or Le Chable as a cheaper 2nd best. If you're in Verbier for the night clubbing, then you're into taxis or perhaps a bus down.

I can't help thinking that you're going to be disappointed if you want to do the full Verbier nightlife thing repeatedly, but can't afford to stay in Verbier. Not trying to be negative but you have to be realistic that more than one evening in Verbier really needs you to be staying in the town to get the best out of the trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your really helpful advice! In the end we haven't been able to find accommodation in budget for Verbier or Le Chable for our dates over NYs, but we have surprisingly found a great deal on a hotel in Zermatt. So that's where we're going!!I skied Verbier 10 years ago but have never been to Zermatt (and it's been on my bucket list for ages). You were all right, I wanted to access some of the Verbier apres, but that would have been difficult if not based in Verbier or Le Chable. I'm expecting the apres to be more low key in Zermatt but that's ok for us 40 somethings!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Question for anyone who’s Heliskied in Verbier - if you had to choose an option from those on offer, Trient, Petit Combin, Arolla etc what would you go for? Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Guernseyfreerider, Petit Combin. The others are accessible ski touring so see more traffic. Petit Combin is a good day out and has some tasty options if you’re up for them!

Some friends on Petit Combin last March

And you only mentioned CH but if you are flexible a good heli option (if a long day) is to drive over to Gressoney where guides are cheaper and you can do multiple drops for the same price as a single drop in CH.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 17-10-18 6:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
surferrosa wrote:
I'm expecting the apres to be more low key in Zermatt but that's ok for us 40 somethings!

Zermatt is great, especially if you get good weather and views of the Matterhorn. Don’t underestimate the Après -Hennu stahl on the way back to town is usually busy and there are a few other places in town that are good fun. It’s not going to be cheap though! The restaurants on the slopes are some of the best in the alps. Chalet Étoile on the Cervinia side is a particular favourite (and a bit cheaper than Swiss side). Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any thoughts on how busy Verbier is likely to be around 12-16 March? Monday 11th is the Fasnacht/Carnival holiday in Basel, so all the local schools around me are off that week. However, as far as I can see French cantons have their winter sport holiday in February 2019. It's after the French school holidays and not British half term, so I am hoping it would not be too busy? But I'd rather go for a weekend another time if the timing is not good. Probably stay in Le Châble.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gämsbock wrote:
Any thoughts on how busy Verbier is likely to be around 12-16 March? Monday 11th is the Fasnacht/Carnival holiday in Basel, so all the local schools around me are off that week. However, as far as I can see French cantons have their winter sport holiday in February 2019. It's after the French school holidays and not British half term, so I am hoping it would not be too busy? But I'd rather go for a weekend another time if the timing is not good. Probably stay in Le Châble.

Agree wouldn’t expect that to be a busy week. The last 2 weeks in Feb will be the busy ones
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, thanks! Good news then, a plan is coming together Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, Ooooh that looks decent. Did a heli drop in Gressoney a couple of years ago but unfortunately was a bit breakablecrustastic. Thanks for the steer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bike park closing festivities tomorrow have been cancelled because of anticipated snow and the need to clear stuff up before it dumps.

Lac des Vaux could potentially open next weekend........here's hoping.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switzerland is gonna get slammed next week up high.

Dig out the planks.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Sparks wrote:
Bike park closing festivities tomorrow have been cancelled because of anticipated snow and the need to clear stuff up before it dumps.

Lac des Vaux could potentially open next weekend........here's hoping.

Looks pretty tasty for Tuesday! Alas in for another knee op - perhaps I can ski down to Le Chable to get the train to the hospital 🤣
snow report
@BobinCH, oh no! Is it the same one or are you getting a matching pair?

Looking at FLs you’d be better off kayaking down to to Le Chable.
snow report
Steve Sparks wrote:
@BobinCH, oh no! Is it the same one or are you getting a matching pair?

Looking at FLs you’d be better off kayaking down to to Le Chable.

Yep same one. Tweaked the meniscus so hopefully just an arthroscopy to stitch it up. He said 4 weeks recuperation so still hoping to be skiing powder in November 😉
latest report
TeleVerbier have announced that they will be making a decision tomorrow whether to open from Friday (weekends only in November).

https://www.facebook.com/Verbier4vallees/videos/499588393873544/
ski holidays
It's a go!

Opening on Friday now confirmed, not sure if anything beyond Lac des Vaux. Will update when I know. Once more Verbier one of the first places to offer non glacial skiing and setting up for another six month season.
snow report
Lac des Vaux only for the mo, although coverage looks quite good down below to Ruinettes.

http://www.verbier.ch/fr/verbier-ouvre-son-domaine-skiable-des-vendredi-fp44109.html
ski holidays
@Steve Sparks, @BobinCH, Thinking of coming up on Saturday ( as we each have 5 free 4v day tickets ).
I see Le Chable is open to get up and then the Medran Express
( I did a week in Verbier back in 1999, but since then only manage a couple of days there per season, so do not know all the names very well).
The site says Ruinettes is open but the Pistes are closed.
Does that mean we can dog it up over James Blunt, and go round the back or is there another way into that valley?
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Le Châble to Verbier, Verbier to Medran, Funispace from Ruinettes to Lac Des Vaux and then there will be the 4 person chair lift open in the Lac.
snow report
@Steve Sparks, Thanks for that.
Would I be right in thinking then that broadly speaking it is just the 3 areas highlighted in Orange?

Weather forecast looks good too.
snow report
@WindOfChange, I'm pretty sure that you only get the middle slope of the three slopes that you have highlighted
snow report
@rambotion, Yes, they've confirmed it's just the 4 person chair until more falls or they make more.
latest report
Edit

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 3-11-18 20:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
One of the biggest Oct snowfalls in recent years.

Lift ticket is CHF42 per day.
latest report
@Guernseyfreerider - Trient good fun but if you are up for a combined heli / tour day out then Rosablanche or Pigne d'Arolla are excellent. From Pigne you come down to Arolla via Vignette Hut or down the Serpentine and the glacier - a little more challenging but can then tour up and over ending up at the Dixence dam nearly always great snow up there.

@Bobinch - meniscal repair usually needs 6 weeks bracing and then gradual reintroduction of high load sports - if just a partial meniscectomy we can get pro footballers back at 3 weeks.........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AJD wrote:

@Bobinch - meniscal repair usually needs 6 weeks bracing and then gradual reintroduction of high load sports - if just a partial meniscectomy we can get pro footballers back at 3 weeks.........

Many thanks! Turns out the meniscus is actually fine and what he’d seen on the MRI was some scar tissue from the original meniscus repair in May.

There were 2 big adhesions at the front and exterior of the knee cap which he’s removed so hopefully that sorts out the twinges I was getting. Instructions were take it easy for 2 days and then you can get back on the rehab. Knee feels great. Does some gentle weekend piste skiing count as rehab?

Cover looking pretty good up there for opening day!
https://www.facebook.com/Verbier4vallees/videos/1375734222561388/
ski holidays
@BobinCH, did you rupture your ACL as well or was it just your meniscus.

Have to admit to a bout of envy as here weather is grim (wet) and not even thinking about going out for a skin in the clouds Sad
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, did you rupture your ACL as well or was it just your meniscus.

Both ACL and medial meniscus
ski holidays
Lovely conditions at Lac Des Vaux today. Great coverage, not too many people, blue skies and sunshine, a great start to the season.

It's not open down to Ruinettes yet, but it was skiable, a few bare patches and sub snow surprises.
snow conditions
Snowheads out in force!

Good to be chasing the rabbit again...

http://youtube.com/v/OknEBQmbDXk
ski holidays
Seems like we were all at the same place...
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Seems like we were all at the same place...

Chasing the powder! Brave....
snow report
I don't think I have ever seen the Lac as an actual lake with water.

Looks really good!
snow conditions
@rungsp, It was beautiful yesterday. But it does make you think about the wisdom of skiing across it.

Super summer hike up from Ruinettes via Creblet, quick dip in the Lac and back down Vallon D'Arbi to Col des Mines.
snow conditions
@rungsp, first picture on this year’s thread!

Sun stayed out for most of another lovely day lapping Lac des Vaux and M25 with the powderpups. The local boys have been building features and there were a few tasty backflips on offer from the chairlift!

Logan has his test technique for the Verbier ski club next Saturday. Nervous dad!
ski holidays
Still holding up well in Lac des Vaux. M25 getting a bit sketch - avoid the worst bit by taking the path to La Chaux and back round under the bridge

ski holidays
Powder 💥
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy