Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
@WindOfChange, they are mostly less than a day - aren't they? Mind you, we quite often buy 4 hour passes as 10:00 am + 4 hrs takes you to a good lunch and if it's all downhill from there... Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thinking buying a Chatel Freedom season pass as they are currently significantly cheaper that the PDS season pass (€447 vs €871). Does anyone know if there is a 'upgrade' fee available should I wish to extend to PDS for a day / week?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last couple of season's it has been 10% off the day rate (to get the reduction you hand in your local area season pass -chatel liberte in this case- for a pds one and swap it back at the end of the ski day) which isn't much. Depending on how many ski days you do and/or what months you plan to ski most the 20 day pds pass or the half season pds pass (from 09/02) are the other options if you don't want to pay full price pds season pass.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@julietp, thanks

This will be our first winter season where we exclusively ski Chatel / PDS now that our apartment is ready. I plan to do 2-3 full weeks interdispersed from Feb and a few weeekends here and there. I will need to calculate the breakeven for buying full PDS pass vs upgrading as needed vs just pay-as-we-go for this season until we are settled and more familiar with the area.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chatelweb.com website is now back in action for the season with the daily snow reports now being published on the new ans slick https://www.chatelsnowreport.com/

Big shout out to Chas who spends many hours every week pouring over weather charts and models to provide what I think is a very good localised report, not just for Chatel but for the PdS.

I have no affiliation whatsoever but take note of the 'donate' button which I assume helps them continue the good work.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ozboy, We have the full season PdS pass, but in February hols we normally just go to La Chapelle, Torgon, Chalet Neuf, Super Chatel, Linga, PLJ, Morgins Forest, Savolaire etc.. as its way less busy over that side. There used to be a pass called "Evasion" which covered all this so our friends would just buy that. I think this is now called Chapelle Liberte.
The breakeven on a (discounted) PdS season pass is about 18 full PdS Days ( not limited to one sector ). There is also a half season PdS pass from early February for about 500 EUR, so that might be the most cost effective as that only takes about 9 days to amortise, and gives access to all PdS.
If you want a weather report today - its sunny above 700m, below that its cloudy / foggy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any ski hire shop recommendation in Chatel?

We will be staying in Le Petit Chatel and I can see there is intersport and skiset literally next us, are either of them any good?
I don't want to jog down to the village on the arrival and then carry the planks back Shocked unless I reaaaally have too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've used Skiset (Henri Gonon) for years. Now run by two of Henri's nephews (one an ex Olympic mogul skier). Always had good service and they are friendly. They have some very decent kit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJL, thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oleski, If you own in Chatel Vertical Horizons (down near Linga) offer a resident's discount. But it would be a trek from Petit Chatel!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, thanks for doing the math - I think this being our first year in Chatel I might just pay as I go while I get acquainted with the area - I doubt I will do 9 days in PDS. We will be sticking to Chatel during Feb half-term as we will have one child learning at PLJ and the other at Super Chatel (we think). We are having a tough time trying to coordinate lessons (via Google translate) for our 4YO at SC as the ESF group lesson times are odd with two hour sessions only being offered at 9-11:15 and 14:15-16:30 leaving a big gap in between which causes a child minding issue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ozboy, I wouldn't fancy having one lesson at PLJ and one at SC unless you can dedicate one adult to each and not try to meet up.

Plenty of options at PLJ though I appreciate half term brings its own pressures. Have you tried ESI or BASS to see what they have at PLJ?

The good thing about PLJ is you can do top of any of the lifts to ski school meeting place in 15 minutes if you pick the right route and don't hang about (I'm not talking about straightlining, just non stop normal pace).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frost in Chatel, or did it snow a little bit? Either way it looks amazing

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Oleski, that's a bit more than a hard frost I would suggest.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few cm's fell to 1000m last night, and hopefully more to come....Arome (short term model) has another 5cm this afternoon. But FL set to rise during the week, up to 1900m, so Avoriaz could end up with 15-20cm by the weekend.
snow report
Canons are running at St Jean Station today.
latest report
So is there anything remotely skiable at the moment in PDS in general and Chalel in particular?

Comparing webcam shots from 22nd November last year and today doesn't fill me with joy snowHead
ski holidays
@Oleski, pretty thin up there, but still slidable from 1700m to 1500m two days ago. There's barely a cover of real snow, but plenty of faux snow piling up. Should get a few top ups in the next week, fri-sat looks like 10cm to 1600m, and mon-tues has colder potential, although GFS (snowforecast) is showing more snow than other models.

This time last year was exceptional, but there's still 3-4 weeks pre-opening for anything similar to happen.
snow report
Its raining hard in Morzine this evening and its about 4 degrees. Based on this and the forecast over the next week I think Avoriaz and the upper parts of Chatel and Morzine will be doing ok in a weeks time.

The weather pattern of settled warm and dry appears to have changed for now, thats the main thing.
snow conditions
Models were spot on with the snowline, but underestimated amounts again, as we got 20-30cm at 1800m and 10-15cm down to 1400m, dustings below.

Under the Ranfoilly had lovely snow......more pics on the link (need to 'view larger image' on the sideways ones, seems to be a display bug)

snow conditions
Hi does anyone know if there is free parking at the prodains? Out for the season and have transport. As we are based up by Nyon thought a quick access up to Avoriaz would be via there but don’t want to have to pay every time we go there. Not a cheapskate that much but am doing a season and though I would be able to nip over to Avoriaz in between shifts rather than waste time on the buses
latest report
Prodains was 4 euros last season. Ardent was free.
snow report
Beautiful snow last night. The bowl is looking very good. There's a nice base going down and the weather is staying cold. Supposed to have a bit more tomorrow night.
latest report
@Timg60, Driving to Prodains from the Nyon is about 10 minutes, driving to Ardent is 15.
Also Ardent means you have a choice of Avoriaz or Linga, so you can get easy access to Happy Valley, the Stash, Satellite run, Star Wars etc...

Fresh snow on the Pas de Morgins the last 2 nights btw Smile
snow report
@WindOfChange, perfect. Sounds like Ardent is the best option. 3 weeks to go. Can I make an order of snow please
snow report
Hi Folks. Any idea how much of a delay the fuel protestors are causing on the route from Geneva as it nears Thonon on the D1005? Got some friends borrowing our apartment next week....

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
@Matt1959, i hear that the RD22 deviation will be lifted at the end of November which should help somewhat. Are they coming from the U.K., if so is it not quicker to take the route over the Jura’s to Lausanne and over to Morgins?
latest report
@Ozboy, https://www.inforoute74.fr/ showing that the D22 will still be shut until 31st December. Where did you hear end November?

They're flying into Geneva and picking up French hire cars, so assuming that they won't have a Swiss motorway Vignette going clockwise round the lake via Lausanne doesn't work.

There is the option to turn inland at Douvaine and then pick up the road through Bons en Chablais back to Thonon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They were there this morning at 7am.
The delay was about 30 seconds.
Last Monday it was about 15 minutes.
In the evening it adds a few minutes minutes, but it is relatively well mannered now compared with a week ago.
They just encourage you to hoot your horn or some other gesture of recognition.
The V is quite a good one as they think it is a victory sign.
You can avoid it all together, by leaving the dual carriageway about 1KM earlier when you get here:

and then take a sharp left , down and under the main road, then a right and follow the stream of other cars going that way:

It also bypasses McDonalds, but does bring you right back out by Burger King Smile
latest report
@WindOfChange, Many thanks!
ski holidays
@Matt1959, Heard it today from a local living in Vacheresse. But it may have been hearsay on their part.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, My son & some friends are going out for next weekend, so we will find out one way or another.

Going via Vinzier & Feternes doesn't add too much time to the journey, but the official diversion adds 10-15 mins.
snow report
is today's snowfall making any significant difference to the piste conditions?
ski holidays
@Matt1959, I'm heading down there next Tuesday but driving from London and will probably be heading to Thonon at some point.
ski holidays
@Ozboy, @Matt1959, The Thonon road is still very closed.
There was 8cm of snow overnight @1250m, but none below 1000m.
If you / your son & mates are hoping to ski / board next week, then you will either want to go to Le Chable ( Verbier ) or Les Diablerets, which are both about an hour away.
PLJ has a provisional opening this coming weekend (still unconfirmed), but will not be open during the week until Dec 17th.
I believe Avoriaz is keeping it's powder dry for the ski-tests on Dec 14th, and is an equally long schlep from Chatel than Le Chable.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Hi WoC. Son & mates are just looking to relax a bit and maybe do some low level walking. Thanks for the update.
snow report
For walking and relaxing they could try the 7 Peaks Challenge.
It's about 90 mins gentle stroll to here http://www.7peaksbrasserie.ch/new/index.php/en/
Getting back may take longer Smile
latest report
@WindOfChange, thanks for the update from the ground. Where are you based?

Sadly I am not planning to Ski until Sunday 9th which will be with the kids on any easy slopes available helping them get their legs back. Rest of time is ‘working from home’ and DIY. On Saturday we are off to the Monteux Christmas markets to see Santa!
snow report
@WindOfChange, I don't think that they need any help from you to locate beer......
latest report
@Matt1959, The Fer Rouge is closed until Dec 14th, but as you suggest beer-radar is s powerful thing Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy