Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@PeteMan, Yes, it’s looking very murky on the tops. Let’s hope for a really horrible and very cold November and early December in Saalbach, changing to beautiful weather around 10th December 😉
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan, Yes, it’s looking very murky on the tops. Let’s hope for a really horrible and very cold November and early December in Saalbach, changing to beautiful weather around 10th December 😉

If it is the 22nd December it will do for me - the rest I totally agree.

Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
15th for me Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I noticed a number of experts here. snowHead

First time im Glemmertal, just skiing 8 days during Christmas - is it worth going for the supercard to be able to go Zell and Kaprun or is it better to investigate the Skicirkus first?
We have car allonge.

We do like pistetouring but with Fieberbrunn and Leogang there seems to be enough space.

Zell- Viehhofen connection seems only one way so far - the last bit of the Schmitten connecting was planed for this season but seems not to have been build? (edit: found out about the constructionproblems!)
If one comes down from Schmitten to Viehofen, does one take the work-road in the end or does one take the Skiroute 2/3 way down - and does one need to walk in the end to the busstop? Confused

Is walking the way to come form one valley side to the other? Can only find few direct link possibilities.

(We are staying in Hinterglemm)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-10-18 14:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hyst, I'm not an expert but I've been to Saalbach at least seven times. I think there is enough skiing in the Skicircus area without having to travel to Zell, and I have never skied there. There are plenty of piste tours around the Skicircus that you can do at a gentle pace, allowing you to try a piste more than one time if it's quiet, or if the snow conditions are particularly good in that one area etc. For example Fieberbrunn is a whole day of exploring on its own, and whilst Leogang is less spread out, it will take a bit of travelling to get there from Hinterglemm and then back again, all on skis.

If you have a car then you have more options, but the Super Card looks an expensive way to do it if you are only thinking of one or two days in Zell or Kaprun.

I don't know where the Zell link finishes in Viehofen, but there would be a walk involved regardless, because of the need to cross the main road into the small parking area where the bus stop is located.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hyst wrote:
I noticed a number of experts here. snowHead

First time im Glemmertal, just skiing 8 days during Christmas - is it worth going for the supercard to be able to go Zell and Kaprun or is it better to investigate the Skicirkus first?

I'm sure Tatman will give his opinion (as close as you'll get to facts)

Plenty to do in Skicircus without Zell. Zell is lovely and scenic but the skiing is quite limited. I went to S-H 3 years ago and there was plenty then - now Fieberbrunn has been added.

There isn't a full link to Zell. A run and lift back comes most of the way down from Zell, you can ski back from Zell I believe but not get there. It's waiting for a lift back up Blue 68 (I think - Tatman's favourite) before full integration is possible - and there are problems with the geology for a reservoir as Blue 68 is south facing and would need snow cannon if was part of a full link; it's often closed).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wouldn't bother with Zell. It's stunning but there is so much skiing in Saalbach and all its areas you won't need to go anywhere else.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HoneyBunny wrote:
Wouldn't bother with Zell. It's stunning but there is so much skiing in Saalbach and all its areas you won't need to go anywhere else.

If it was properly linked I'd go to Zell one day, but it isn't so it's not worth it.

Indeed, it is stunning, especially if the lake is frozen
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hyst, I agree with all the others. If it’s properly linked then it would be worth doing. It isn’t and there is plenty to keep you busy in the Ski Circus.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The cancelled men’s GS at Sölden is being replaced by a GS in S-H on Thursday 20th December.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to Zell for three days at the end of January. I'm trying to make sense of the posts above but could someone please explain the best way to do a day trip to Saalbach? Thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bus from Zell to Vorderglemm (Schönleitenbahn lift).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hyst, The decision whether to pay extra for the Super Ski Pass can be made when you arrive in Saalbach on 22nd December. If the snow is good (of course it will I hear you all say, both in hope and expectation 😬) you will probably be satisfied, as others have suggested, with all that the Ski Circus has to offer.
The only circumstances in which I would suggest that it might be worth getting the super pass would be if you wanted to go up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun, which is only a half hour drive away.
I spend all season in Saalbach, and I have never bothered to ski the Zell area, although I will certainly take an occasional day trip over there when the new link opens next year.
I have been up to the glacier in early April and enjoyed it, but not sure I would during the main season (unless conditions were unusually bad - and then hordes of other people would no doubt have the same idea).
I should add that I don’t generally have my car with me in the winter, so that’s another reason why I stay close to home (although I do have the Ski Alpin season pass, which covers Zell/Kaprun). I may therefore not be the best person to ask. However a group of about 10 friends, who often like to take their holidays in Saalbach decided a couple of years ago to stay in Zell for a change. They were underwhelmed by Zell’s Ski area, and on several days took taxis to Saalbach. They told me that, although it was scenic, the area was limited and and lacked the variety that they were used to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After 8 years of visiting Hinterglemm every half term with our kids while they were learning, last year we took day trips out of the Glemmtal to Hochkonig and to Zell. We know Zell and Kaprun well from several previous trips, but the Konigstour from Maria Alm out and back was new to us. Both were successful days out, and I'd recommend them to anyone who either feels that they've done everything they want to do in the Glemmtal, or who would like to sample the other areas to see what they have to offer. Neither is worth a full week on its own if you are the type who needs 200Km of pistes, but they offer something different and have their charms. Our aim was to take our kids out of their comfort zone - they hare off ahead of us in the Glemmtal because they know where they are going, so taking them somewhere new forced them to pay attention to their surroundings and learn to navigate the piste map.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
@Hyst, The decision whether to pay extra for the Super Ski Pass can be made when you arrive in Saalbach on 22nd December. If the snow is good (of course it will I hear you all say, both in hope and expectation 😬) you will probably be satisfied, as others have suggested, with all that the Ski Circus has to offer.
The only circumstances in which I would suggest that it might be worth getting the super pass would be if you wanted to go up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun, which is only a half hour drive away.
I spend all season in Saalbach, and I have never bothered to ski the Zell area, although I will certainly take an occasional day trip over there when the new link opens next year.
I have been up to the glacier in early April and enjoyed it, but not sure I would during the main season (unless conditions were unusually bad - and then hordes of other people would no doubt have the same idea).
I should add that I don’t generally have my car with me in the winter, so that’s another reason why I stay close to home (although I do have the Ski Alpin season pass, which covers Zell/Kaprun). I may therefore not be the best person to ask. However a group of about 10 friends, who often like to take their holidays in Saalbach decided a couple of years ago to stay in Zell for a change. They were underwhelmed by Zell’s Ski area, and on several days took taxis to Saalbach. They told me that, although it was scenic, the area was limited and and lacked the variety that they were used to.

Thank you very much for all the information. The "local" liftcard will be it, now we will keep an eye on the weather and all the webcams to help making it a withe Christamas (and the week before for otheres - and even before that for you).

When you see a red missile on the pist tracked by slow purple wife- that is us - the daughter will be somewhere (we do not know where!) on her own.
snow conditions
@Hyst, on getting from one side of the valley to the other, there are only really two places where it can be done without walking - at the Hinterglemm end where the runs down Hochalm take you directly to the Zwolfernordbahn (in the opposite direction, it is a 30 metre walk to the Hochalmbahn), and at Vorderglemm where the 2b run comes directly to the Schonleitenbahn (with no option in the opposite direction as there is no uplift).

You can cross in Hinterglemm and in Saalbach with a short walk of about 150 metres, with lifts (elevators) to make it easier, so for example to get from the U-bahn to the Reiterkogelbahn you take the elevator down to street level, walk down a flat street, take the bridge over the river, and into an elevator up to the snow. In Saalbach it is a little trickier, so for example to get between Turm and the Schattberg Express it is a downhill walk on a cobbled street which can sometimes be a little treacherous in ski boots, and in the other direction it is of course uphill. You also have to walk between Turm and the Bernkogel lift, about 50 metres and fairly level if you take the elevator down from the snow.
snow report
@ousekjarr, The subject of walking between lifts has been explored in the past - I seem to remember that someone was moaning about it last year, and quite a discussion ensued. I think the moaner, who was also complaining about "too many gondolas" Laughing found himself in a minority of one. I fully agree with your summary but would just make the point that walking for any appreciable distance between lifts is largely optional. The exception for me would be the 50 meter walk between the Kohlmais (Turmwiese) and the Bernkogelbahn, which I do regularly and regard as negligible. The reason that I say it's optional is that my experience, and that of the people I ski with, is that once we're up the mountain, the last thing that we would normally want to do is to ski back to the village and walk to another gondola on the other side of the village - we prefer to keep our skis on, and, if we want to get to another part of the valley, we either ski there, or we might (especially when in a hurry) ski down to the valley road and hop on a ski bus. (We find the ski buses especially useful for getting quickly between Hinterglemm and the Schoenleitenbahn, which more often than not is the last lift of the day.)
I'm not saying that there might not occasionally be exceptional circumstances necessitating a walk of 150 meters or so in ski boots from one lift to another, and much no doubt depends on where one's accommodation is located, but generally we plan our skiing so as to eliminate or minimise any walking in boots. Other people may choose to organise their itineraries differently, but generally I would say that it's possible to avoid
Quote:

a downhill walk on a cobbled street which can sometimes be a little treacherous in ski boots, and in the other direction it is of course uphill

The advice that I tend to give to visitors to Saalbach is to try to find accommodation at the top end (north side) of the village, either in Oberdorf, or along Schiliftstrasse, and in the north-eastern area of Ronachweg - in other words near either the Kohlmaisbahn or the Bernkogelbahn Any walking to lifts is then downhill or more or less on a level, and the occasions when it's necessary to walk uphill from the Schattberg Xpress should be quite rare - particularly if we're talking about walking from lift to lift, rather than accommodation to lift.
Hinterglemm is of course a different kettle of fish, but, by utilising lifts, it should be possible to avoid the tedious walk to and from the Zwoelferkogelbahn, especially now that we have the 12er Express, and the distance between the U-Bahn and the Reiterkogelbahn is, as you say, only about 150 meters, which, as you point out, can be avoided by crossing the valley at Hochalm.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, agreed - but Hyst specifically asked about it.
latest report
Sorry for coursing touble Embarassed - just wanted to know what scale it was walking - 150 m is nothing! Just wanted some indication - however now I learned that there is an underground somewhere Madeye-Smiley ! (I better search for last years thread )
Edit: sometimes one gets confused looking for information. Toofy Grin
http://youtube.com/v/a1t0an_FVbE

Yes, I got it! It's not a Underground - but how should one know - if one has some German family as well. Shocked Or one has skied a lot in Val Gardena! Skullie (Umlaufbahn)
ski holidays
@Hyst, U-bahn = Unterschwarzachbahn
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Hyst, U-bahn = Unterschwarzachbahn

wink Yes, of course Madeye-Smiley

I will look for the sign to find the Unterschwarzachbahn!

snow report
here we go sorted.
booked for another return to saalbach early march and cant wait, returning to the same hotel as the last few years,interspersed with a short break elswhere . Good job we are booked as accomodation seems to be getting a bit harder to sort when we were looking not that we intended moving hotels so my advice if you have fixed dates is get booked. Reckon the amount of positive reports and views on here must be increasing the demand.killing the goose that laid the golden egg ( ho ho)
Now just got to sort travel arrangements and spend the next months looking at snow reports .Having been lucky enough to visit most of the mainstream alpine spots over the years we have come to the conclusion that as we dont do any serious offpiste nor want to race down thin icy blacks and enjoy the informality of the apres and the extensive skiing with lots of different itineries and the friendly crowd from other countries that make up most of the folks there, saalbach is as good as it gets for a ski holiday
snow report
Almost sorted, after daughters exams dates got fixet.

Hotel fixed for some time.
Ferry and overnight stay at Munich fixed today.
(though have not mounted the roof box - yet) Toofy Grin

Just have to finde a nice very, early opening, breakfast place with parking somewhere in the valley. Little Angel
snow report
@Hyst, The Bergeralm does an excellent bacon and eggs breakfast. Failing that, there’s breakfast at the Alte Schmiede. Or the Asteralm does a “skier’s breakfast”. Or if you must eat before going up, the cafes next to Hansis Best-Price, and on the corner of Schulstrasse and Glemmtaler Landstrasse are pretty good.
snow report
@tatmanstours, You are pretty fast - thanks, I will take a look at the cafes - thanks. wink

( Pity there is no street view in the area yet.)

Maybe the Unterberger is the safer place - Hansi is just opposite the police I found out. Shocked
ski holidays
just had a look at the webcams not a dusting to be seen, oh well early days
snow report
@Hyst, an alternative down in the valley, Tiroler Baum, https://www.tirolerbuam.at/en/ then you could start your skiing day from the Schönleitenbahn The have ample parking and the lift is across the road.
latest report
@radar, Sounds very nice - would neither use lunch or evening dinner after that breakfast, thank you very much for you suggestion. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@Hyst, an alternative down in the valley, Tiroler Baum, https://www.tirolerbuam.at/en/ then you could start your skiing day from the Schönleitenbahn The have ample parking and the lift is across the road.

@radar, Good suggestion!
@Hyst, For the sake of completeness (on the subject of cafes) there is a handy one in the MPreis supermarket in the village square.
@ski for fun, Fortunately things can change radically in two or three weeks. It's Novembers like this that sort out the optimists from the pessimists wink
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

@radar, Good suggestion!
@Hyst, For the sake of completeness (on the subject of cafes) there is a handy one in the MPreis supermarket in the village square.
@ski for fun, Fortunately things can change radically in two or three weeks. It's Novembers like this that sort out the optimists from the pessimists wink

Found that as well - but a bit to much supermarked. Laughing If I had stayed in a apartment @radar's suggestion would have been perfect. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
hi, re snowfall ever the optimist here ,have to be, ive had a lifetime of weather watching as my livelihood and daily routine depends on it. Theres another reason to choose saalbach as the snowmaking is amazing if needed.
ski holidays
ski for fun wrote:
hi, re snowfall ever the optimist here ,have to be, ive had a lifetime of weather watching as my livelihood and daily routine depends on it. Theres another reason to choose saalbach as the snowmaking is amazing if needed.

And the lift system has to be the best in the whole of Europe. Up there with Ischgl.
latest report
At risk of tempting fate, I see that temperatures are forecast to drop to minus figures from next Sunday. There have been a few times in previous seasons when the snow has arrived with immaculate timing at the end of November. I'm sure that all those hoping for a cheeky pre-Christmas skiing trip will be keeping their eyes glued to the web cams and the forecasts.
latest report
@tatmanstours, all set for that cheeky pre Christmas trip - so watching and crossing everything. Worse case there is always the glacier. Perhaps I should pack my cycling gear as well Laughing
snow report
@Yorksboy, We've been here before and it's turned out okay. All that's needed is that first big dump of the season, which normally arrives any time during November (sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later) and could change everything in the space of a day or two. Also, if the temperatures drop low enough and stay low for a while, they'll be working the snow cannons at full pelt. Don't pack that cycling gear yet.
ski holidays
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Heavy snow forecast for next Tuesday. Not bad timing really,
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid
ski holidays
Looks as though is going to get cold enough for the snow cannons to start up as well up as well Very Happy
snow conditions
@Yorksboy, The Goassstall posted a photo on Facebook earlier today, showing a snow cannon blasting away over the piste that runs past their establishment, and of course that’s more or less at village altitude. Yes, with the minus temperatures that are forecast, the cannons will be going at full pelt, and if we get the promised heavy snow, it all looks quite good.
latest report
Yup, the webcams at https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/livecams show cannons on the lower part of the Zwolferkogel and frost in the shadow of Schattberg, plus a temperature of -3 in the valley this morning. Sunny on the north side, but it is coming...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy