Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Will the cannons go on even if the temperatures are forecast to be fairly warm few days later?

https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/prognose/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Drammeister, I'm pretty sure that they will be making snow at every opportunity, irrespective of fluctuations in temperature. Soon we should see those white dotted lines snaking up the mountain sides.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The cannons are on, I can see the first white of the season. Nice sight
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drammeister wrote:
Will the cannons go on even if the temperatures are forecast to be fairly warm few days later?

They will leave it in piles so most will survive. Some places store snow through summer - two places at Kitzbuhel (north facing, as high up as they can, in big piles covered in insulation). I believe some places even store down in the in valleys, in forested areas/shade and covered by loads of wood chip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two days of snow cannons and the dots are starting to join up Very Happy

https://saalbach.panomax.com/schattberg

I've also seen pictures of kids playing in the snow near the Turm Lift - so artificial snow in the village.

There is some snow forecast over the next couple of weeks and it looks like the freezing temperature will stay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks funny with these white dots in the mountains. Little Angel

Hopefully they soon are lines and can soon not be seen anymore. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a good chance we'll be having Christmas in Saalbach snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite, There are worse places to spend Christmas Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, home being one of them! I'm quite excited - love Christmas in Saalbach.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The white dots have become white lines - but unfortunately I can still see them. Shocked

Maybe next week they are gone? Madeye-Smiley

Will you Brits have two Christmas celebrations? Toofy Grin 24th and 25th? (depending on your accommodation)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christmas is still far out - but temp. going down will help. snowHead

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hyst, Fortunately a month is a long time, in terms of ski season weather.
In answer to your question about celebrating Christmas, we find it very convenient that the Austrians seem to treat Christmas Day (which we Brits regard as the main event) as almost equivalent to our Boxing Day. Hence on Christmas Eve we can participate in whatever is going on, and on Christmas Day it’s business as usual, so we’re able to ski to our favourite mountain restaurant for a light lunch or late breakfast, with Christmas dinner coming later, either chez nous or in one of the village restaurants.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hyst, Fortunately a month is a long time, in terms of ski season weather.
In answer to your question about celebrating Christmas, we find it very convenient that the Austrians seem to treat Christmas Day (which we Brits regard as the main event) as almost equivalent to our Boxing Day. Hence on Christmas Eve we can participate in whatever is going on, and on Christmas Day it’s business as usual, so we’re able to ski to our favourite mountain restaurant for a light lunch or late breakfast, with Christmas dinner coming later, either chez nous or in one of the village restaurants.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7cm forecast in the next 3 days Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

7cm forecast in the next 3 days

The longer term forecasts are predicting much colder temperatures early next week with the possibility of a bit of natural snowfall. The Saalbach resort offered this on Facebook yesterday:, "With an armada of snowmakers we are working on starting the ski season at the beginning of December".
Mid-December could still be good, although we have no bookings until Christmas week - seems no one is yet taking the chance (understandably)
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Sounds good with the snow!

If I was not skiing in Saalbach I could have first Christmas here at home and fly over to my sister 25th in the morning and have an other Christmas in Chorleywood. Toofy Grin

However having Christmas in Hinterglemm and skiing is not a bad deal either. Smile
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
Christmas is still far out - but temp. going down will help. snowHead

At last, I’ve seen a box and whiskers chart in real life!*

*Before training to be a teacher, you have to pass a maths and English test (on top of all the other qualifications needed). For some reason there are always a couple of questions in the maths test where you need to interpret a box and whiskers chart. No one I know who has taken the test had ever seen a box and whiskers chart before the test, and no one had seen one afterwards. They’re not even taught in school!
latest report
Bergfex paints a pretty optimistic picture in its 9 day forecast - hope it's justified!
snow report
just looked on webcams and its all gone white, no great depth but its a start, and more forecast
snow report
piste bashers ahoy
snow conditions
Seems like we have to overcome next week before it gets colder - 10 deg.C in the valley and rain up the mountain does not sound good next week. Evil or Very Mad

However looks better after that.

3 runs open 6 lifts running - funny combination. Toofy Grin

One of us is looking for some offpist in Fiberbrunn - it better snow some more before Christmas - sorry, before the 15th of course wink
ski holidays
@Hyst, I’ll go out on a limb and say that you might struggle for off piste at Christmas. I hope to be proven wrong.
snow conditions
I’m off out to St Johann in Tirol in Jan for a few months and will be coming to Saalbach a fair few times I’d imagine as it’s not too far away by public transport or by car (which I will have with winter tyres)
Is it free to park at all of the valley stations?
Leogang Asitzbahn looks the nearest entry point by public transport for me, would you agree?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I’m off out to St Johann in Tirol in Jan for a few months and will be coming to Saalbach a fair few times I’d imagine as it’s not too far away by public transport or by car (which I will have with winter tyres)
Is it free to park at all of the valley stations?
Leogang Asitzbahn looks the nearest entry point by public transport for me, would you agree?

there is a bus from st johan to leogang via fieberbrun which runs each way (times on website @ 20 mins to F plus another 1/2 hour to L) and provides the easiest connections. With a bit of planning you can go up at either and return from the other, whilst staying in saalbach we have done fieberbrun to leogang, also train is possible st johan to leogang but not as convienient for lifts. as for going round to saalbach for me the most practical way would be to drive as too many connections. I dont know about parking as not done it though believe there is a scheme linked to liftpass purchases in saalbach
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, Fieberbrunn would be the nearest, a good 15 minutes drive closer than the Asitzbahn to St Johann. There are car parks in both places which are free during the day, they can get busy especially at weekends.

Not sure how practical public transport is from St Johann. The Fieberbrunn lifts are a good way outside the centre of the village, Leogang does have a lift sort of in the village but, I would guess, still a fair walk from the train station. There are ski buses between the Astizbahn and Fieberbrunn so you can park in one place and ski back to the other although there are not that many so can get crowded.
snow conditions
@ski for fun, thanks, bus sounds better than the train then bus then.
Fieberbrunn is very close I know, that would be another way of getting in to the area as long as the link wasn’t shut.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Hyst, The decision whether to pay extra for the Super Ski Pass can be made when you arrive in Saalbach on 22nd December. If the snow is good (of course it will I hear you all say, both in hope and expectation
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I recall the season before last my cousin was ski instructing in Kitzbühel and he occasionally took the train to Leogang. The station was a bit of a walk from the Steinbergbahn but not enough to put him off - maybe 15 minutes on foot.
If you feel like driving round to Saalbach you can park for nothing at the Schoenleitenbahn. Parking is also free for lift pass holders at the Schattberg Xpress and the Kohlmaisbahn between 8am and 6pm. After 6pm you are charged for the extra time but it’s only a few euros per hour.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure what happened there, was adding to the “should I do Zell as well” debate.

Having skied both, my 2 pennies worth would be

It’s only €20 extra for the super ski pass for a week.

Zell is pretty varied, unlike a comment I read on previous page, HOWEVER only if you are comfortable on Reds and Black. The best and most varied skiing is on the right hand side of the piste map and over the back of Schmittenhoe. The newish run down toward Vierhofen is excellent as are the two long blacks down the middle, Trass and Standard. The blues down the main AreitXpress and CityXpres get more crowded and aren’t that interesting and the red bits at the bottom of the home runs get awfully cut up at end of day.

But for decent intermediate skier I’d say adding a day or two at Zell would give you some more interesting and challenging runs and a change from the Ski circus. But if you mainly cruise blues and easy reds then Skicircus offers much more range variety.

The Galcier at Kaprun gets very. Crowded if it’s a sunny day in amongst a snowy windy or low visiability week, as then everyone flocks there. It’s different skiing close to 3000m but you can cover it in half a day. I have in the past gone there for the morning and bussed back to Zell for the pm.

A trip to, and particularly the skiddo drag back from the Pinzgauer Hutte for lunch is worth the bus fair to Zell alone, but go early or late, not at peak lunch time, otherwise your are queuing for the tow back ...
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
@Hyst, I’ll go out on a limb and say that you might struggle for off piste at Christmas. I hope to be proven wrong.

I thought so, just told my daughter "its like in Japan" to get her along. snowHead

After 1 summer and2 winterseasons in Japan she is quite spoiled and of again in January -she is lucky to have free stay with friends.

In Hinterglemm the father has to use the creditcard for her. Mad

Edit: And I can see the white dots and white lines are back again. Sad
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, thanks, plenty of options
Car would mean not worrying about the times so much but no apres ski beer allowed
1 month today and I shall be off for months, yay
latest report
@tatmanstours, you seem like THE person to ask so hope you don't mind. Have been looking at the various transport options from Salzburg to Hinterglemm, with pennies in mind. We are staying at Sunnyside apartments in Hinterglemm. Which would get us nearest to the apartments please - the public bus straight from Salzburg, or the train then bus? Also, would the walk be prohibitive with suitcase and ski bag ie would you advise taxi for the last bit? Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
@skiluvva, in the short space of time before @tatmanstours arrives, here's my view - the bus from the airport to Hinterglemm is the simplest option, with only one change at Maishofen, at a cost of €15.30 each. Look on https://www.oebb.at/en/ for times and prices.

Alternatively, you can get a trolley bus from the airport to the main station in Salzburg, then a train to Zell am See, then the postbus to Hinterglemm.

Either way, you'll be dropped on the main valley road near the Zwolferkogel lift, and your apartment is some way up Pfefferweg - with luggage, I'd think about a taxi from the centre of Saalbach (Schattberg Express lift) for ease of transfer, or from the near end of Hinterglemm where the bus turns around before going back out and through the tunnel, where there are usually some taxis. For an idea of how far you'd have to walk, see https://goo.gl/maps/rcaoiCL4WJB2
snow report
@skiluvva, totally agree with @ousekjarr, I'm traveling to Hinterglemm on the 15th December and this year, after using the holiday shuttle for 10+ years, I've decided to go with the postbus.
I'm within a sort, flat walk of the Zwölferkogel bus stop - for you I would recommend getting your taxi from the Zwolfer stop.
ski holidays
https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/current-lift-operation

Lots more opening Friday! Smile

'Lifts operating from the 07 December in Saalbach:

Bernkogelbahn (valley run open)
Wetterkreuz 6er
Reiter-Ost 6er
Sunliner 4er (no connection to the Reiterkogel)
Schattberg X-press I+II
Limberg 4er
Schattberg Sprinter
Schönleitenbahn I+II (valley run open)
Polten 8er
Lifts operating from the 07 December in Hinterglemm:

Unterschwarzachbahn (shuttle to the Westgipfelbahn and 12er Express)
Oberschwarzachlifte
12er Express
Westgipfelbahn I+II (valley run open, no connection to the Schattberg)
Zwölferkogelbahn I+II (valley run open)
Zwölfer-Nordbahn (shuttle to the top station)
Hochalmbahn (shuttle to the top station)
Hochalm 6er (no connection to the Reiterkogel)
Reiterkogelbahn (shuttle to the Hasenauer 8er and Sunliner 4er)
Hasenauer 8er (no connection to the Hochalm)
Lifts operating daily from the 30 November in Leogang:

Asitzbahn I+II (shuttle to the top station)
Muldenbahn 8er
Asitzgipfelbahn 8er
Sportbahn Asitzkogel 6er
Übungslift Asitz
Ski hut: hendl fischerei open
Lifts operating on the 06 December in Fieberbrunn:

Streubödenbahn (valley run open)
Ski huts: Ferchlstadl, S4 Alm open
Information about the lift operation from the 07 December will follow'
snow report
@Yorksboy, @ousekjarr,
Thanks very much. That's what I was leaning towards. Really helpful Smile
ski holidays
@skiluvva, I’ve nothing much to add, except that Mrs TT and I have always taken the Holiday Shuttle, rather than fanny about with the public bus. Factors that weigh in the balance have always been the arrival time of the flight and how long we’d have to hang around at the airport, how much luggage we’d have to get from one bus to another at Maishofen and from the bus stop at Saalbach to our apartments at the top end of the village, and how long the journey takes, compared with the speed and convenience of the door to door shuttle service.
Having said that I have been considering the post bus this time. However our flight arrives at 10.05 and the Maishofen/Glemmtal bus leaves (from memory) at 12.45, so not really an attractive proposition, even if it means saving 50 odd euros (which it might not if we were to get a taxi from the Schattberg Xpress to our place, in order to save hauling luggage up through the village).
I was doing some googling last night, on behalf of someone asking for recommendations for taxi services from Salzburg Airport, and my eye was caught by “Austriatransfers” (N.B. not Austriatransfer, who are a different outfit). From memory they were advertising private door to door transfers to Saalbach-Hinterglemm for 128 euros for up to 3 people, and 149 euros for 4-8 people. (Another firm was offering 120 euros for a family of four that included two children).
Yet another website (get-transfer?) gave example prices that seemed pretty inexpensive but, interestingly, invited the prospective customer to suggest a price that would be considered acceptable and within budget. However are they reliable?
You may want to see what price you can negotiate with these taxi firms, who are evidently in keen competition, and compare it with what you would pay for public transport plus a taxi up to your accommodation (which can sometimes be more than you expect). If you want a quote for that final taxi ride, Taxi Rainer are responsive and helpful.
latest report
@tatmanstours, I've always used the Holiday shuttle and it's an excellent service. Just thought I would try something a little different this time. One deciding factor was the flight times, I arrive on the 15th and travelling from "Up North" flight choice was a little scarce - my flight arrives into Salzburg at 15:05. the holiday Shuttle is scheduled for 15:15! the next one is 17:45, so a wait in the airport. The Postbus timetable hasn't been finalised yet, but should be around 16:50 - still a wait. If all goes to plan i should be in Hinterglemm for 19:00 and its only a short walk from the bus stop with just one bag.
I'll see how it goes and then decide if I'm going to use the Postbus for the return journey or book the shuttle.

I've got three trips to Saalbach this season, so potentially could save a few € for Apres Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, see you in Saalbach sometime? I’m out for the season pretty much
latest report
@Yorksboy, We have similar timings - arrival 10 minutes before the next shuttle departs. I think I’ll risk booking it. Ryanair are usually on time and Salzburg are usually quick and efficient with unloading of baggage and passport control.
Also the driver will almost certainly wait for half an hour or so. Worst case scenario - we’re on the next shuttle or the public bus.
latest report