Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez ski bus

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, I'm looking at a trip next year either to La Rosiere or Alpe d'Huez.

BUT, I have a recent onset phobia of telecabines, any lift that dangles you above a valley, or that looks like it was painted in the 80s ( rolling eyes Puzzled ). Kiddo loves easy terrain parks, ski cross, those goofy race things that take a video of you or you have to ring a bell etc. I like trees, probably because I feel like I could jump into one if the lift breaks down ( rolling eyes Puzzled ). We both can ski anything you can winch a groomer down, but remain on/beside-piste.

I'm leaning towards Alpe d'Huez in the lower village, but I would need to take kiddo up to her esf lesson in the morning. There's no way you'll get me into one of those ancient hanging basket lifts Shocked . And it looks as though the ski bus is only once an hour. Is this true? Is there any other way of getting up to the lesson for 9?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Canuck, why present yourself with this grief of needing to get a bus to meet up with ski school? If going to ADH stay in Oz-en-Oisan. Much quieter, easy access but all accommodation is walkable to ski school meet up.

Also, going by the description of what you want La Plagne sounds an ideal option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
speak to ski school to see if someone cant take the kiddo up for you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mr.Egg, I never thought of that! Thank you.
Reason for considering these 2 places is there's cheaper accommodation available.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Canuck wrote:
Hi folks, I'm looking at a trip next year either to La Rosiere or Alpe d'Huez.

BUT, I have a recent onset phobia of telecabines, any lift that dangles you above a valley, or that looks like it was painted in the 80s ( rolling eyes Puzzled ). Kiddo loves easy terrain parks, ski cross, those goofy race things that take a video of you or you have to ring a bell etc. I like trees, probably because I feel like I could jump into one if the lift breaks down ( rolling eyes Puzzled ). We both can ski anything you can winch a groomer down, but remain on/beside-piste.

I'm leaning towards Alpe d'Huez in the lower village, but I would need to take kiddo up to her esf lesson in the morning. There's no way you'll get me into one of those ancient hanging basket lifts Shocked . And it looks as though the ski bus is only once an hour. Is this true? Is there any other way of getting up to the lesson for 9?

Many thanks

Depending where you are in Alpe d'Huez the navette is much more often than that, especially between 7-30 and 9-00 in rush hour. Even if by "the lower village" you mean Huez village there are buses at 7-30, 7-50 and 8-30, all of which will get you to the rond point d l'europe or rond-point des pistes, which are both right by ESF meeting points. I accept you would be well early on the 7-30 one Laughing In other areas you will get a better service because they are served by mutiple lines. I know you said you looked at the timetables but this is the link anyway :- https://www.alpedhuez-resalp.com/sites/alpedhuez-resalp.com/files/horaires_circuit_a_hiver_17_18_0.pdf

I am a bit confused though, how do you "ski anything you can winch a groomer down" , when you, presumably, can only go up on a draglift Puzzled There is a small resort across the valley from Alpe d'Huez that does have a cracking black run accessible with a draglift, but that comprises 50% of the lifts there Laughing (disregarding absolute beginner lifts). Great for a day but for a week, no not really.
Oh and I have been skiing in Alpe d'Huez for 20 years and I have not seen a single "ancient hanging basket" fall off yet Laughing Spent ages faffing about on the new fangled marmottes chair though that continuously goes into limp mode, that's the one that replaced the ancient hanging white bubbles, that never used to miss a beat rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are only okay on modern chairs then you're probably better off going to Austria. They seem to invest pretty heavily in keeping their lifts up to date. Lots of resorts are low enough to have tree lined pistes on alpine pasture rather than Rocky Mountains so the chairs don't need to go super high above the ground.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skitow, Thank you for the info Smile It's Huez village, so the 8:30 would probably work perfectly. The lift issue is a phobia that came on suddenly after an incident in an old telecabine in Italy last year. Modern not too high lifts are ok, but I'm still struggling with anything that dangles you high up or looks very old. It's so frustrating as it's totally irrational! And yes, I know you're safer in a gondola then bus, but that's just how phobias work Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Valkyrie, We're actually off to Austria before Christmas for exactly that reason! Baby steps! Thank you x Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If going to Alpe D'Huez, you could always consider staying in some of the accommodation around the Bergers area. The ESF ski school, I'm fairly sure, have a meeting point right outside the shopping centre, which is a couple of hundred yard walk at most.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the Bergers area. 3 runs used by the esf for novice lessons (one of which is a cracking run of varying inclines and great views) and the "alternative" route up to the mid level of AdH for advanced novices and intermediate's. Also a fairly pleasant area to stay in with a small shopping centre made up of supermarkets, bars and designer outlets, although the main town is a ten minute walk or more (depending on how fast you stroll).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
manicpb wrote:
+1 for the Bergers area. 3 runs used by the esf for novice lessons (one of which is a cracking run of varying inclines and great views) and the "alternative" route up to the mid level of AdH for advanced novices and intermediate's. Also a fairly pleasant area to stay in with a small shopping centre made up of supermarkets, bars and designer outlets, although the main town is a ten minute walk or more (depending on how fast you stroll).

Can't remember the name of that run - but it winds round the side of the mountain from the top of Signal?

I quite liked Bergers when I stayed there. Had a decent enough room in Les Melezes apartments, and the slopes are so close. You can virtually ski all the way back, and that little shopping is great for ski rental, and also a quick sandwich and a beer for lunch, or when the day ends.

Heading back in April to Quartier des Bergers. Can't wait.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy