Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2018/19 (Useful Links Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
As the leaves are turning yellow, the nights are getting longer and the summer cricket season has finished, thoughts are now turning to the skiing. After a record breaking one last year, what will this season bring; I don't know but we all can hope!

So without further ado out come the ceremonial scissors and the cutting of the red ribbon on Tignes 2018/19.

The glacier is forecast to open a fortnight tomorrow and weather gods depending Tignes and Val D'Isere are planned to open on 24 Nov 18 - see you there! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Useful Links:

Here's a collection of useful links to help with your visit - they have been checked but some are still sleeping wink

Tignes Main Site (official):
http://www.tignes.net/en
Ski passes:
http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en
Bus Transfers
Daily from Geneva, Sat-Sun from Chambery (not yet loaded for purchase (10 Sep) and Fri-Sun from Lyon (15% off until 30 Sep 17):
http://www.altibus.com/
Weekends from Geneva and Grenoble, Fri-Sun from Lyon:
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/
Private Transfers (Operator based in Tignes):
http://www.mountainrides.co.uk/
Ski Instruction (British Staff):
http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.tdcski.com/tignes/
Off Piste Adventure and training (British staff)
http://www.tignesoffpiste.com/
Weather:
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/tignes/73320
Route Info (Savoie Only):
http://savoie-route.fr/
Avalanche Reports (Meteo France):
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/savoie/avdept73
Live Lift Status:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
Bus Timetable from Bourg:
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
Val-Tignes (for repatriation of lost souls that missed the last lift or for a spot of (even more) expensive shopping!):
https://www.tignes.net/sejour/deplacement/la-navette-tignes-val-disere
Independent Chalet for the UK Market (vetted by me!):
https://www.chalettournavel.com/
Ski Rental and new boots:
https://guyclarey.sport2000.fr/fr/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-01-19 8:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So to get things ticking along and as a bit of a recap as to what's new:

There will be a new gondola (and much swisher base station) in Les Brevieres, this will take you to Les Boisses where you will have to get off and ski to the Boisses Gondola to access the rest of the area. The old Sache Gondola has gone and well as the old chair lift from Brev to Boisses.

A couple of larger cabins will have been fitted to the Grand Motte Cable car (the last element of a 3 year project which has seen just about everything changed). In the summer you will be able to ride al fresco on the roof. The bottom station has also been remodelled (hopefully the wiff of damp will have been eradicated). And just next door the Carline Café will become Cocoricos - so more lively apres ski.

Over in Val, a new La Daille Gondola will replace the old one (and the Etroit chair) so hopefully that area will no longer be a bottleneck, particularly on a bad vis day).

I am sure there will be many changes in the village as businesses come and go, I will have a wander round when I arrive and let you know!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, useful links and new lift update, thanks.

That Chalet Tournaval looks interesting. I’m trying to visualise location. Is it just past far end of lake, left hand side of main road, looking from 2100 centre?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There will be a new gondola (and much swisher base station) in Les Brevieres, this will take you to Les Boisses where you will have to get off and ski to the Boisses Gondola to access the rest of the area. The old Sache Gondola has gone and well as the old chair lift from Brev to Boisses.

I remain to be convinced that this is a good idea. If the old Sache Gondola was busy (which it often was at peak times after a long boozy lunch) there was always the option to escape Brev via the chair and Boisse. Now there is only one way out, so any problems with either gondola is going to trap people in Brev.

The other issue is that the queues for the Boisse Gondola out of Boissees are going to be huge, and the boarding/queuing area there isn't very big. It's also going to upset the people staying in the new CGH/Kalinda apartments that their previously quiet gondola up is now rammed.

Is it too much to hope that the old Sache will be replaced with a modern gondola? Perhaps all the way up to the top of Aguille Percee/Marais with an intermediate station close to the top of the Aguille Rouge lift. Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeakyB, As you drive from Lac to Val Claret Chalet Tournavel is one of the 2 chalets on the right of the road a couple of hundred metres before the roundabout at the start of Val Claret, its a quick walk into VC and there is a bus stop at the end of the drive. (In the summer it often has broken windows thanks to wayward golf balls!!!).

@Judwin, I have reservations too, I forgot to mention the Boisses gondola is getting more bubbles, so hopefully the capacity will be enough. A liftie with an electric cattle prod would be helpful though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phew thought I might have been getting excited about the new season too early. Not any more it’s official winter is on its way😄❄️❄️❄️❄️
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, thanks,
sounds handy for Val C.
The Golf run they mention to get back to chalet. Piste or itinerary run, do you know please?

I wondered how safe the windows would be in a chalet next to the 10th hole green Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Judwin wrote:
Quote:

I remain to be convinced that this is a good idea. If the old Sache Gondola was busy (which it often was at peak times after a long boozy lunch) there was always the option to escape Brev via the chair and Boisse. Now there is only one way out, so any problems with either gondola is going to trap people in Brev.

The other issue is that the queues for the Boisse Gondola out of Boissees are going to be huge, and the boarding/queuing area there isn't very big. It's also going to upset the people staying in the new CGH/Kalinda apartments that their previously quiet gondola up is now rammed.

Is it too much to hope that the old Sache will be replaced with a modern gondola? Perhaps all the way up to the top of Aguille Percee/Marais with an intermediate station close to the top of the Aguille Rouge lift. Puzzled

It took me a while to get my head around what they were doing in Brev, as this did not compute as a possible outcome. It really is total madness and considering the infrastructure was in place with the old gondola, why didn't the new one go to the mid station that the Boisses goes to?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:

It took me a while to get my head around what they were doing in Brev, as this did not compute as a possible outcome. It really is total madness and considering the infrastructure was in place with the old gondola, why didn't the new one go to the mid station that the Boisses goes to?

It seems badly thought out - when we are there, on a sunny morning we quite often jump on Chaudannes for a quick zoom into Brev, stop for a beer and back up nice and quick to do, whatever.

Might make us think twice.

There must be method to this madness, cant just be us that sees that outcome and calls it as bonkers?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was fancying an early doors glacier run as some very cheap early October flights...but:

- Glacier cam isn't working.
- Toviere cam shows the distant glacier as having no snow at all on the runs.

I'd best hang fire and keep an eye on the forecasts. Have to say, I think €33 for a lift pass isn't too bad - especially vs the cost of an hour at a Snowdome...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, The Golf run is one of the unpisted but pisteur secured runs in Tignes (I think they call them Naturides - there's one up the Col de Ves). However, it is properly black and if its a while since it snowed then it can get bumpy. That said you can ski down anywhere on the Lognan off piste area so there are easier ways down (IMHO) but they probably don't want to risk promoting that on a website.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Was fancying an early doors glacier run as some very cheap early October flights...but:

- Glacier cam isn't working.
- Toviere cam shows the distant glacier as having no snow at all on the runs.

I'd best hang fire and keep an eye on the forecasts. Have to say, I think €33 for a lift pass isn't too bad - especially vs the cost of an hour at a Snowdome...

I'd make sure the cable car is open again, before venturing up there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway,

Nice early post just to get everyone on the mood.

The summer may be nearly over but there is time to watch the Lancies get relegated whilst the yorkies survive Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, thanks again. Yes I remember that Golf run now, though it’s been 4 or 5 years since I skied it.
snowHead
snow report
Thank you @chocksaway for the mention of Chalet Tournavel. If you don't fancy the run back either by Golf or the off piste adventure just hop on bus, it stops at the end of the drive.
snow conditions
I agree that unless the uplift from Boisse has increased then it could become a bottleneck.

Personally I am gutted because we normally arrive on the first day in Boisse about 2pm for our late season deal with Melezes. Our lift passes did not start until the following day, so used to chuck the ski gear on and lap Boisse to Brev using the free chair. By the sounds of it, that chair has gone. 😢. It was a great little run down for blowing off the Ski cob webs. We would do it 5 or Ski times then call it a day.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
Quote:
I'd make sure the cable car is open again, before venturing up there
Tignes website shows it on the list of lifts that will be operating when the glacier re-opens at the end of September.

In other news, the detailed (& usually reliable) Chamonix Meteo website is saying there could be snow down to 2200m next weekend Very Happy.
ski holidays
@smagsmith, Yeah, that was a decent Brucie Bonus, just like the days when a old fashioned 6 day pass was valid from 1530 the day before, not that the tour ops ever told you!

@Hettyhoover, Welcome to Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Oh how I wish I'd opted to drive to Tignes this year. Family of 4, £600 in flights and now looking like another £650 in transfers. Would've been half that (or less) to drive. They really have you by the goolies going saturday to saturday don't they. Shocked
ski holidays
Tordi wrote:
Oh how I wish I'd opted to drive to Tignes this year. Family of 4, £600 in flights and now looking like another £650 in transfers. Would've been half that (or less) to drive. They really have you by the goolies going saturday to saturday don't they. Shocked

Wow, where have you found a transfer that expensive?
snow report
All the taxi transfers I’ve been quoted are 700-1000 euros. Which is fine when there is a minibus full of you, but not so much when just 3 adults and one miniature.
snow conditions
Latest Brev lift update. Seems to be coming along!

snow conditions
@Tordi, look at hiring a car or some of the transfer companies, not a private taxi.
snow report
Thanks @kitenski, we can't win really because we are going for 2 weeks the car hire prices are nearly as much as a private taxi. Which is a bit frustrating when the car will just be parked for 95% of the time. Thought about Bens bus, but if there are any delays (ie waiting for other flights to get in) being sat on a coach with an impatient 3 year old will just make me wish I'd stumped up the extra £300.
ski holidays
@Tordi, look at someone like Alps2Apls . Based on experience I reckon you're looking at approx 450-500euro return for a family of four. The discount code A2A used to be valid and may still be?
snow report
@Tordi, ah yes probably makes sense, although driving all the way with said 3 year old may well have not been the most pleasant experience!!
latest report
Marked Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RichClark, thank you for the code. Managed to get it down to 670 euros, the cheapest I've found so far! Very Happy @kitenski, We have driven before, although he was 1 year old last time. Alas, the rest of the family are not keen on the long drive. I much prefer a civilised 12 hr drive to being herded like cattle at the airport.
snow conditions
@Tordi, me too, its the airports that put me off.

I drive down about 6 or 7 times a year. Its not too bad at all.
latest report
@Tordi, The Ben's buses normally go on time, bumping folk onto the next bus, so unless you have a late flight you should depart within an hour of the departure time at worst. The Altibus does not wait (apart from the odd 5 mins for the last one). But not ideal by far with an ankle biter snowHead
ski holidays
@Tordi, I'm with you, I much prefer driving even from Leeds and means I can take multiple pairs of skis, but my two daughters and wife out voted me!!
snow report
Is the glacier really in such a poor condition that they've had to stick black tape over half the webcam??!!

Twisted Evil Shock Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Is the glacier really in such a poor condition that they've had to stick black tape over half the webcam??!!

Twisted Evil Shock Shocked Toofy Grin

It certainly had a bit more actual snow on it last year. Zoom in from Toviere and it looks like wind blasted ice.
snow report
@Philip1972, @kitenski, perhaps a year of outrageously priced flights and transfers will convince them that driving is the (cheaper) answer next year. Didn't seem to be much in the way of free ski carriage offers on flights this year either. rolling eyes I'll stop moaning now.... Very Happy
snow conditions
@nelly0168, Don't think it looks any different to this time last year, why do you think it is closed ?

I did wonder whether they have needed to remodel the bottom station of the cable car to fit the new cabins and not moved the webcam.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@nelly0168, Don't think it looks any different to this time last year, why do you think it is closed ?

I did wonder whether they have needed to remodel the bottom station of the cable car to fit the new cabins and not moved the webcam.

It's closed because the season hasn't started yet.......

And I have looked at the cam in sept last year. There was snow on it. I can't vouch for the ice quality beneath, but snow there was.
snow conditions
FYI
We seem to have the same differentiation on EK season passes between the 2 resorts. 1215 euros from STGM and 1012.5 from Val - if purchased by 26/10/18. Similar difference to last season. Thought it was odd last year. I can say my first lift in 2017/8 was the Toviere so the old wives' tale that you have start in Val is nonsense. Available from 1/10/18. The Val EK pass does get more expensive after that as time goes by - finishing up at 1350. Out for 3 weeks from 24/11 so makes sense to get the pass early.
Val claim it is a 25% discount but only if end up paying the 1350 but at that stage you would buy from the STGM.
snow conditions
@Mark1863, The Tignes season pass included an extra week on the glacier (plus any other runs still open) after the links to Val closed in May when I was doing seasons, which may account for the price difference.
snow report
Thanks @chocksaway, - posting to Bookmark in "Your posts" - looking forward to the 2018/19 season ;o)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy