Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gevais les Bains anyone familiar?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

@pam w, the burnt down lift will only materially affect the top section. So you still have most of the GMs to play in.

That's true but I really wouldn't recommend a group of intermediates making the pilgrimage to GM from St G during February HT - just rather a lot of hassle - calculation might be different if it was a quieter time (it is a special atmosphere) or the skiers were going to take advantage of the off piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I like Les Contamines which has a different "feel" to it - and is much easier to get to - but, even so, there's masses to go at with St G, Megeve and Combloux.

I agree - wouldn't feel obliged to get on any buses. Plenty to do in the linked area. Consider Les C if you really want a change or a bit more peace but don't feel it's a "must do". Full disclosure - I've skied plenty in St G but chose to buy in Les C. I prefer it for a variety of reasons but doesn't mean I don't like St G and normally ski there a couple of days a season when staying in Les C.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, do you not think it worth the trip up to LC for a day at least considering its on the same 6 day pass anyway? I took friends up & they really enjoyed the contrast to StG skiing, in fact they couldn't help repeating themselves several times just how big & varied the EMB pass give you access to.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny996 wrote:
@ItaloSkier, Are you saying that from experience or from reading a piste map? LC & StG are on same pass but are not connected so if you launch from LC be prepared to stay there all day. As for starting in StN or Bettix, I don't understand why anyone would bother with the hassle of loading a car up & fighting for a parking space when you can simply walk to the gondola in StG & ride up.

I speak from being in Chamonix, taking my car past Saint Gervais and continuing up to StN so I could quickly get to the above treeline skiing. For me parking at Le Chattrix and then heading right up to L'Epaule and Mont Joly is what I prefer but that's personal. For me, starting from StG would be a massive headache, despite the brutal slowness of Chattrix.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the thread response .. I must admit I could not find where Les Contamines was ...
That's because Google does not show it's lift system.

I have a feeling we are going to have fun and I hope the weather is sunny.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Odd how Google shows some resorts but not others. It shows La Thuile but not La Rosiere, just on the other side of the border.

Never been to Les Contamines but runs on the back side of Mont Joly look fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the tourist website for St Gevais there is the "Tramway Du Mont Blanc" that seems to run to the top of Les Houches.
That looks like another amazing ride!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can confirm mountain rescue at Saint Gervais is friendly and competent. Make sure you buy insurance on your lift pass... the community of Saint Gervais is quite efficient when sending a bill for rescue costs but insurance handles payment directly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
Looking at the tourist website for St Gevais there is the "Tramway Du Mont Blanc" that seems to run to the top of Les Houches.

It does run to the top of Les Houches, but it is slow and expensive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So it sounds like the Tramway something to save for a clear sunny day when we don't feel like skiing....
Perhaps on arrival day ... when we get there too early Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, the tramway is a 100 year old trainline, that is very spectacular but it is approx 100 euro for a family ticket. The spa down in parc thermals is something special if you want a non ski day activity
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DrLawn, it's also well worth skiing over to the cotes2000 area, there is an easy black called Decent that is something special
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why not just get the MBU pass? It gives you so much flexibility to chase the best snow and/or avoid the crowds. Worked like a champ last season. On one particularly snowy day and windy day, despite my protests, my guide said it was the right day to hit the top of GM. I thought he was crazy. Instead, we found amazing powder fields that were empty... maybe a dozen skiers on Col de Rachasses. He looked at the weather and made a judgment call knowing the area. Being able to jump to where you want is invaluable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@jedster, do you not think it worth the trip up to LC for a day at least considering its on the same 6 day pass anyway? I took friends up & they really enjoyed the contrast to StG skiing, in fact they couldn't help repeating themselves several times just how big & varied the EMB pass give you access to.

Yes - I do think it's worth the trip. My point was just that if DrLawn is having fun around STG/Megeve etc and is disinclined to bother with buses then he probably shouldn't feel guilty for not giving Les C a go. Could always come back and stay in Les C another time Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ItaloSkier,
Quote:

Never been to Les Contamines but runs on the back side of Mont Joly look fun.

Hmm. Which runs are you thinking of? The Les C side of Mont Joly is predominantly rock bands, gorges and avalanche risk - there aren't any pistes! Further along the ridge from Mont Joly you have the Veleray and Aguille Croche areas which do have nice pistes and some big off piste bowls.
ski holidays
Probably used a poor description in my post to describe the locations. Yes, the bowls and above treeline pistes.
ski holidays
Sorry @ItaloSkier you'll have to tell me what the MBU pass is? I'd hazard a guess at "Mont Blanc" is part of it though?

I'm loving all this info you are giving me about this place...
I just don't know much about the area .. Most of the places I've been to are in Austria,
With just the big ones in France,

Cormauyer over the hill and la Thuile further down the road.

I've only been to Argentier in this region

But I'm salivating for it now, especially with my new 6 year old ski bunny Madeye-Smiley
Last Christmas day was her first day on skis.

So to be honest ... I think we'll have plenty to do in the "local"
latest report
Mont Blanc Unlimited pass... a bit pricier but includes Evasion Mt Blanc (aka Saint Gervais, Megeve, etc), Les Houches, Brevent/Flegere, Grands Montets, Vallorcine, Courmayeur and Verbier (for a slight fee). Look it up. If you are traveling as a family, you can usually get a deal buying a family pack... like 2 adults, 2 children. Also, they often run discounts prior to the season if you prebuy your pass. I think our passes for 6 days ended up costing up around 230 Euro each last season. BUT, you have a 6-year old so it depends on how much you want to move around. We took our kids from Courmayeur to La Thuile once when they were 5 and 7 and found some perfect runs for them but and empty lifts. Only recommend it during good weather days, though.
snow report
GM will be very difficult with only one lift to give initial access if you are st gervais /megeve type do not
go to GM !
latest report
With a six year old, La Tour will probably be better anyway. Vormaine area is great for kids.
snow report
Hi Guys thanks for all the advice,

Just to bring you up to speed:
I think we will only stay local as we don't have a car with us.
Perhaps another year.

My daughter has already booked a ski locker and its at the bottom lift station, she didn't realise they were available at the top (mid station).

We are going to be right in the middle of the village above the mini market.

So I've got a very +ve feeling about this trip.
Thanks and I'll let you know how we get on.
snow report
@DrLawn, locker at bottom are far nicer, they are modern, clean & heated, 4 sets easy, 5 at squeeze incl boots. 10 min walk in morning in normal shoes as your ski boots are in locker😀.
Might see you in la grange with a beer🍻
snow report
Ah! Beer, yes, I'll make a point of it.
Where is la grange?
I've told my daughter she chose wisely for a ski locker.
We're all getting pretty excited and its still 4+ months away.
snow report
Ah, I've found it, its just round the corner past the paper shop.
I see there are some people sitting outside on Google now.
They do look cold!
snow report
Hi @Jonny996 That is a nice bar, I feel like a local already.
The people I spoke to in there tonight had a much better attitude to Brexit than I get down the Con Club.

The forecast is for pretty crappy weather tomorrow and lot of snow in the afternoon.

I have not rented any skis yet so I'm going to go up to Bettex tomorrow and find the ski rental place that suits me best and have a nice lunch with the misses and granddaughter.

I'm going to have a bit of a lie in, I'm absolutely knackered after getting up at 2:30 this morning to catch a flight out of Luton.
Should sleep better after a couple of beers.
latest report
I’m on the early flight out tomorrow, weather looks amazing from Tuesday onwards
latest report
Hi @Jonny996 Have a good flight.

We had a really crappy lunch ... my daughter says it was more expensive than Switzerland but a lot crappier.
Anyway perhaps there will improvement in the weather soon and we won't be so hungry. Smile

But looking back on the day .. we had a great time for the first day.

We love Le Grange though, perhaps I'll nip down there now. (it must be a whole 50m away)
ski holidays
@DrLawn, where was the lunch?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was one of the restaurants at the the top of the Bettex gondola the one on the right as you look on the webcam, we should have reserved if we wanted to use the one over on the left.
we tried to go cheapo by sitting inside .. and they let us bring in stuff from the snack bar outside.
So we waited in line for ages ... finally got to the window and no "Steak Hache" left,
We had to do with cool Tarte Flitt.
Very disappointed hungry faces when us men returned from our hunting party.

Still, snowy day today ... they are all hung over from last night's Le Grange.
Looking at the webcams it looks clear at the top so may go out still.
ski holidays
It was the Hotel de Arbois (I think)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy